Beginning again late in life

OP
J

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nothing is wasted. Surely, after 15 years, some benefits of internal arts were developed: flow, centering, balance, breathing, etc. Most of internal elements can be applied to the external styles, especially as one gets more advanced and understand the unity of yin and yang.
You make a good point. I probably got something. But to me it was a waste because whatever I go it was not what I was there for, and I could have gotten so much more studying something else. For the internal arts, I think "the light comes on" for some people, but not for most.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You make a good point. I probably got something. But to me it was a waste because whatever I go it was not what I was there for, and I could have gotten so much more studying something else. For the internal arts, I think "the light comes on" for some people, but not for most.
But when it comes on you realize how significant it can be.

Harry Flannagan

White Belt
Reaction score
I find BJJ to be the easiest to get into at an older age, and also the one to get you back into shape fast. The fact that no one hits you, and you don't hit anyone, will prevent a lot of bruises, that you don't heal that well off when older. You will get injured though, and your joints will suffer. You should use some tricks that help a lot of people:
1. Supplementation - Ten Essential Supplements for Jiu-Jitsu Fighters You don't have to take all, but I take some and add glucosamine and MSM to it.
2. Wear some sort of compression shirt and pants - BJJ Rash Guards | Up to 60% Sale | MMA Gear, Muay Thai Shorts & Gloves makes BJJ-specific apparel, but you can use any compression shirt and pants for added protection for your joints (and skin).
3. Strech! Yoga routines in the morning do wonders, but anything you'll add will be great!

Just start training again!
OSS!

OP
J

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find BJJ to be the easiest to get into at an older age, and also the one to get you back into shape fast. The fact that no one hits you, and you don't hit anyone, will prevent a lot of bruises, that you don't heal that well off when older. You will get injured though, and your joints will suffer. You should use some tricks that help a lot of people:
1. Supplementation - Ten Essential Supplements for Jiu-Jitsu Fighters You don't have to take all, but I take some and add glucosamine and MSM to it.
2. Wear some sort of compression shirt and pants - BJJ Rash Guards | Up to 60% Sale | MMA Gear, Muay Thai Shorts & Gloves makes BJJ-specific apparel, but you can use any compression shirt and pants for added protection for your joints (and skin).
3. Strech! Yoga routines in the morning do wonders, but anything you'll add will be great!

Just start training again!
OSS!
Thanks for the information and encouragement. Interestingly, at my school, students and instructors who do both Muay Thai and BJJ report more injuries with BJJ. But then they only go full contact with Muay Thai at the higher levels.

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for moral support and general advice, nothing specific. Back in the day, 35 years ago, I was a San Dan instructor in Shito-Ryu Karate'. I had also studied Judo, Japanese JuJitsu and Kajukenbo. Been in a couple of real fights I had no trouble with.

Now retired, in my late 60's I am overweight and out of shape. I have an artificial knee and other orthopedic problems, but I they will not keep me down! I want to get back into martial arts. I did not want to get back into Karate. Too hard on the joints and I would be re-traveling old ground. I tried boxing, which I liked, but the sparring did not seem to be a good idea at my age. Then I tried two different Krav Maga instructors. No offense to that art, but I was not impressed. Why do a five step move when I can just nail someone and put him down, even after all these years? Also, I was looking for more of a workout.

I went around and checked out about every school in town and found one that is a long drive for me and expensive, but I just took a liking to it. They teach Muay Thai and BJJ. The head instructor has been doing both arts for 24 years and teaching for 18. FWIW, he just took a vacation to climb Mt. Killamanjaro. The other two instructors are cops, who also have a lot of years in. I like it! My only issue is I have been plagued with health issues that I chalk up to getting my old body active again. I have had to stop and start over a couple of times, but always look forward to getting back to class. The advice I have gotten to be able to keep going is: warm up before class, spar light and tap early. Anyhow, that's my ramblings. If anyone has anything to say, I'd love to hear it.

Honestly it sounds like you got a lot of really good advice already. BJJ is a great option for what it seems you're looking for. It's one of the few arts where you can learn good technical theory, immediately put it to use in practise, and practise it in a realistic way that doesn't have to hurt anyone-- and can be (relatively) safely performed at full speed as well (i.e. "rolling"). Further, it allows you to control the pace of your cardio involvement/gain.

I too, have been in and out of martial arts for a number of years due to injuries. I too, have gotten older and fat, and out of shape. I am now back in the BJJ/Muay Thai gym as well. I must admit however, I am much younger by comparison. I still hope this helps. Osu!

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and encouragement. Interestingly, at my school, students and instructors who do both Muay Thai and BJJ report more injuries with BJJ. But then they only go full contact with Muay Thai at the higher levels.
Trust me, you learn the most useful stuff from arts that actively spar, and the more realistically you can spar, the better. Yeah, BJJ injures people in practise, but the injuries are almost exclusively minor (in the vast majority of cases) and heal. A small price to pay for realistic training.

I trained for several years under arts that we weren't able to safely practise in realistic ways, and while my repertoire of "lethal and maiming" techniques became substantial, I had no idea whether I would be able to actually employ them in a real fight for a long time, because I hadn't trained in anything where you could true-speed contact spar.

I think it's important to do both: a sport-like art where you can practise at full speed, and a technical art that teaches you true self defense. Using them to inform each other is the best way outside of live combat to figure out how to do things that work.

And nobody who wants to avoid injury (to themselves or others) wants to practise through live combat! XD

Tatakai to wa, saigo ni dochira ga tatteiru ka? Sore dake da.

chodanbo

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for moral support and general advice, nothing specific. Back in the day, 35 years ago, I was a San Dan instructor in Shito-Ryu Karate'. I had also studied Judo, Japanese JuJitsu and Kajukenbo. Been in a couple of real fights I had no trouble with.

Now retired, in my late 60's I am overweight and out of shape. I have an artificial knee and other orthopedic problems, but I they will not keep me down! I want to get back into martial arts. I did not want to get back into Karate. Too hard on the joints and I would be re-traveling old ground. I tried boxing, which I liked, but the sparring did not seem to be a good idea at my age. Then I tried two different Krav Maga instructors. No offense to that art, but I was not impressed. Why do a five step move when I can just nail someone and put him down, even after all these years? Also, I was looking for more of a workout.

I went around and checked out about every school in town and found one that is a long drive for me and expensive, but I just took a liking to it. They teach Muay Thai and BJJ. The head instructor has been doing both arts for 24 years and teaching for 18. FWIW, he just took a vacation to climb Mt. Killamanjaro. The other two instructors are cops, who also have a lot of years in. I like it! My only issue is I have been plagued with health issues that I chalk up to getting my old body active again. I have had to stop and start over a couple of times, but always look forward to getting back to class. The advice I have gotten to be able to keep going is: warm up before class, spar light and tap early. Anyhow, that's my ramblings. If anyone has anything to say, I'd love to hear it.
I think you already know the answer to what you are looking for my friend. All I can say is listen to your body. If the body says or even hint a no, then its a no at this point. I know some people say age is just a number and thats true, it is a number but your body is not a number. Body does age. We're not wine.

Latest Discussions