Our McDojo Sister

T

TKDKid

I have a bit of a problem, and I wonder if I could get some advice from those of you who are wiser than I.

We recently gained a new student at our Dojang. She came from one of the two other Tae Kwon Do schools in our town. As it is, she came from the one with the reputation of being a McDojo. At my school it takes five years to earn a black belt, we know at the one she came from it takes somewhere around a year.

When she came to our school she told our instructor that "I don't spar with other women because I'm too powerful." She also told my instructor that she got kicked out of her old school for getting all up in the instructor's face. She's the same rank as I am, which is pretty advanced, I've been practicing for about four years. The woman has no technique whatsoever. She doesn't even demonstrate a basic knowledge of power exchange.

I've sparred with her once. When we spar, we spar light contact. We don't use power so as to protect the other practioner, but we still make our strikes touch so they know where they're open. When I fought her she was all charge with wild swings, showing no respect to the strikes I got in on her. Which were many. After class my instructor told me that she had warned our new student that however hard she fought was how hard she was going to get it back, and she told me I should do what I needed to in order to make her respect me.

In essence my instructor told me that if hurting her is what it takes to make her respect the strikes she's taking, then that's what I need to do. My instructor is a wise woman, and she's been teaching TKD on the order of twenty years, so I'm sure she's seen this sort of thing before, and I'm sure that if that weren't the best way to handle it, she wouldn't have told me to do what I needed to do. I just don't feel quite right about hurting this woman, I know my instructor doesn't really want this woman to get hurt, it's just that sometimes life requires hard lessons, but I would feel guilty about laying her out with a strong attack that I know she'd never be able to defend against. On the other hand my instructor told me not to let this woman embarass me because I won't make her respect what I can do.

Anyone else been in a similar situation, anybody have any good advice?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Your instructor gave you good advice, take it. One of my favorite sayings from kenpo is "Whatever the attitude, so the response."

Lamont

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Believe it or not, you are actually doing her a favor by fighting her with more power and by taking all the strikes you can get. Don't confuse this with being out of control however. You should always exercise control when you fight, but if she is fighting wildly and ineffectively, and you bring your level of sparring down - she will learn nothing from that, not to mention the respect issue your instructor is dealing with. Play any sport, or chess even, with a stronger more experienced opponent and it brings up your game. You will both get something out of your working harder here...you can work on ways to make openings and exercising control, while she learns to really defend herself, and remember some guy in the street who wants to attack her will not be so kind!

MJ :asian:

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Your instructor is right, I remember the same thing from an old school years ago. We had a big guy that would flail away and think he was awesome. He had no technique, he was just big and everyone was being nice. One time he was sparring my friend and my friend was just trying to block everything and back up with the MASS coming his way. The guy started laughing at him. Our instructor pulled my friend aside and, to paraphrase, said, "Tear this guy apart." So my buddy just started "wrecking" this guy. The guy didn't know which end was up, it was almost comical. Anyway, this guys attitude totally changed, he started learning, and is now an exceptional Martial Artist. Some people will only learn that way.

Jim

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Your instructor gave you good advice, take it. One of my favorite sayings from kenpo is "Whatever the attitude, so the response."

Lamont
Sounds like great advice..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your instructor to a point. First off, I'd talk to this student. Make sure she fully understands the way you do sparring in the school. Make sure she understands what is to be expected of the students. If however she continues to spar hard, getting in some of those extra hard shots to get your point across can be done. I have sparred students who were a little out of control before and have "juiced" some of the shots. The majority of the time, it worked. However, this can also send the wrong signal to the student. It may tell them, "Oh, ok...well, I'm hitting him hard, he hit me harder, so now I have to hit him harder than he just hit me!" Now, this can turn from a friendly match to a brawl very quick. If the student is not getting the 'message' that I'm trying to send them, I stop the match and explain the rules again! If they can't seem to understand what I'm saying, they are usually done for the day as far as sparring is concerned. Keep in mind that if this school is not owned by you, and someone gets injured, a lawsuit is very possible. I don't want my inst. to lose his/her school due to a student who has no control. I have no problem with sparring hard, however, it needs to be mutually agreed upon before the match gets underway.

Mike

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKDKid said:
In essence my instructor told me that if hurting her is what it takes to make her respect the strikes she's taking, then that's what I need to do. My instructor is a wise woman, and she's been teaching TKD on the order of twenty years, so I'm sure she's seen this sort of thing before, and I'm sure that if that weren't the best way to handle it, she wouldn't have told me to do what I needed to do. I just don't feel quite right about hurting this woman, I know my instructor doesn't really want this woman to get hurt, it's just that sometimes life requires hard lessons, but I would feel guilty about laying her out with a strong attack that I know she'd never be able to defend against. On the other hand my instructor told me not to let this woman embarass me because I won't make her respect what I can do.

Anyone else been in a similar situation, anybody have any good advice?

First off did your instructor really tell you to hurt her? Or did she sya she needs to learn respect for what could happen to her?

If it is the latter, which is what I expect, then I think she is trying to get you to step up your responses. i.e. do not kill her, or knock her out in the first exchange, but, let her know she has been touched. If this does not work, then you increase the contact a little to let her know she has been made contact, shihc might have slowed her down, (* still with out knocking her out and also without hurting her permanently. *) Sometimes, in very circumstances, you do have to give a person a real shot, but instead of a round house to the head, tell her the next shot to her shoulder is really intended for her head. Or place the side kick in her stomache and not the ribs, to slow her down or stop her. A good shot to the body, but not in a vital area, would also let her know she has been hit or touched, and should respect what people can do to her.

Just some thoughts from my experience.

Peace
:asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS makes a good point. Without some careful orchestration, responding in kind could simply escalate the level of force on her part and the underlying lesson will soar right over her head. I would say your instructor gave you good advice as well, but how you present yourself in response is just as important as the advice she gave you. Perhaps trying to get the first hit on and giving an example of how it SHOULD be. Perhaps starting with you landing hits with control and after three hits and she doesn't get the message just tell her however hard you hit me, I'm gonna hit you. And do it.

You might also want to know that this might not be all about attitude or poor training - she might just have strong proprioceptive needs, so she's just a hard hitter by nature and doesn't feel how hard she hits. That could take A LOT longer to fix because it's indicative of a different neurological sensitivity.

Sounds like a good challenge for you and your teacher. Happy training!

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
You might also want to know that this might not be all about attitude or poor training - she might just have strong proprioceptive needs, so she's just a hard hitter by nature and doesn't feel how hard she hits. That could take A LOT longer to fix because it's indicative of a different neurological sensitivity.

This is true, in the beginning of my training when people would say, go light and I thought I was and they were complaints, and these guys go defenitely go harder, it was an issue of sensitivity. I had one officer, tell me that he liked working out with me that my 50% was as hard or harder then most of the people who woudl swing and possible land a sucker punch on him, It let him know he could take it and move on. But this is not true of everyone, it could, as Shesulsa stated, escalate the level of contact. But if she is wild and open, you shoudl still be able to get in control techniques and possible use your techniques as checks to stop ehr forward motion to show her she cannot just ignore these shots.

Nice points G! :)

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you guys allowing her to start as a BB in your school?

Go easy on her most of the time poor students had really terrible teachers, it's not her fault, that's the reason she acts the way she does. It is your job or your studio's rather to teach her the proper ways of MA.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
Go easy on her most of the time poor students had really terrible teachers, it's not her fault, that's the reason she acts the way she does. It is your job or your studio's rather to teach her the proper ways of MA.
While I agree w/Evenflow1121 to a certain extent, I do think sometimes someone needs to be shown the light. I don't believe you need to attack her to the point she is injured....

My suggestion when you spar is to block this student's every attack very assertively. You don't even need to counter-attack, just make sure that each time she attempts a technique, she is thwarted and repelled. As my students hear over and over, your block is a strike... :>)

Miles

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
While I agree w/Evenflow1121 to a certain extent, I do think sometimes someone needs to be shown the light. I don't believe you need to attack her to the point she is injured....

My suggestion when you spar is to block this student's every attack very assertively. You don't even need to counter-attack, just make sure that each time she attempts a technique, she is thwarted and repelled. As my students hear over and over, your block is a strike... :>)

Miles
Excellent suggestion, you do not need to humiliate her, blocking her strikes alone should do the job.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's often the only way people learn, you're instructor knows the drill.

Don't feel so bad about hitting someone, it is a martial arts class afterall. People don't get "broken" that easily, enough to make the point but not to really hurt is a good thing.

What she has is one of the biggest bad habits that comes from light / no contact all the time. No respect for the strikes, leaving you very sloppy and getting hit a lot, because, well, there is no motivation to not get hit...

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but atleast in my view there is a difference between walking into an MA school, undisciplined for the first time, and walking in there with a McDojo BB. The latter would prob take hits and strikes a lot better, since they have never been exposed to martial arts. The former having been exposed to teaching, albeit poor teaching at best, no matter how little even a year, may simply run back to her old school, and continue on a negative trend. It's a kid what we are talking about here, not an adult afterall. If you strike this kid to the point that she is humiliated infront of the class, it is going to do more damage than good.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
This is true, in the beginning of my training when people would say, go light and I thought I was and they were complaints, and these guys go defenitely go harder, it was an issue of sensitivity. I had one officer, tell me that he liked working out with me that my 50% was as hard or harder then most of the people who woudl swing and possible land a sucker punch on him, It let him know he could take it and move on. But this is not true of everyone, it could, as Shesulsa stated, escalate the level of contact. But if she is wild and open, you shoudl still be able to get in control techniques and possible use your techniques as checks to stop ehr forward motion to show her she cannot just ignore these shots.

Nice points G! :)
Sorry if this takes it off topic but I'm always being told to go lighter when I think I am, how do you go about changing the your sensitivity?

OP
T

TKDKid

evenflow1121 said:
Yes, but atleast in my view there is a difference between walking into an MA school, undisciplined for the first time, and walking in there with a McDojo BB. The latter would prob take hits and strikes a lot better, since they have never been exposed to martial arts. The former having been exposed to teaching, albeit poor teaching at best, no matter how little even a year, may simply run back to her old school, and continue on a negative trend. It's a kid what we are talking about here, not an adult afterall. If you strike this kid to the point that she is humiliated infront of the class, it is going to do more damage than good.
Well...actually, she's probably in her mid thirties, I'd say. She isn't a black belt, she has a blue belt from her previous school, which she says is the equivelant to our purple belt. At our school purple comes after blue.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
silatman said:
Sorry if this takes it off topic but I'm always being told to go lighter when I think I am, how do you go about changing the your sensitivity?
There are sensitivity exercises you can do to increase your tactile impress. First, ask your teacher/instructor about it. PM me later.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When beginners or new students first start asparring in our class, they always spar with higher ranks first. THe higher ranks are able to control the match and it lets the person ease into what is happening. There have been students who would blow through the light strkes that were placed on them and keep attacking unaffraid of the consequences. I like to call it a blatent disregard for self preservation.

What I usually do is give them a warning then I take all of their air and make it mine. If every time the person attacks wildly they get knocked down, they stop attacking wildly. The key is to allow them to attack without dropping them if they actually control themselves, so that they learn that it is better. Though if you are good at dodging, it can be fun tagging and circling so that they ant get a fix on ya. But they need to learn eventually

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
silatman said:

As Shesulsa stated, there are ways to this and I am sure there are many. One of them was to feel the tension in the body for joint locks to understand pressure applied. Another was to go with someone who has patience, and allows you to punch them in the arm or chest while you work on the level of contact, with the person. They explain that it should be softer or harder, for the level of contact they are looking for.

This helped me to work with people of other arts as well as those in the same art.

Latest Discussions