Greetings, I'm back.

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So two years ago, I posted here that I was thinking of getting back into Martial Arts. And I was looking at a few in my local area and I was really leaning towards a school that taught JKD. I am a bit overweight and I have some physical health issues, even a partial disability in my wrist/hand and some other injuries. Things faded a bit as COVID shut down a lot of the schools in my area for a long time and I also unfortunately lost one of my parents (not coivd related) suddenly which greatly impacted me.

When I posted here, I did not go into my background that much as I don't want to seem egotistical and it's been a while. I also do not like to say who my original instructors are for sake of my privacy and theirs. I have a background as an early Kempo practitioner. I practiced some Aikido with traditional weapons, and also Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan / TaijiQuan, I had over the years two sets of instructors short form and long form. The instructor that taught the long form of Yang Tai Chi Chuan it was like an actual martial art with applications not just the form for exercise. - Again, please NOTE I am not that "great" in any of these even after many past years doing those.

While JKD is still on my mind, and maybe a few more MA's out there... I do think the cost and my available time is an issue. So last year I decided to get back in to basics on what I know, and increased my exercise and have lost about 20 pounds and have held it off.. Not great but I'm getting there. I've been using the iron mace and a medicine ball. I also started again practicing a very short version of Yang style Tai Chi Chuan form. The other plus, is I got a standing desk in my main office which really helps the legs and back.

Sorry, as an older guy, I do ramble a lot.. I hope all of you are doing well here. I also like to Thank everyone here as I remember so many great and helpful people here trying to help me out get started again.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome back to your practice, and well done on the 20 pounds.

Going back to what you did in the past and working on that is a great way to get back into it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
So two years ago, I posted here that I was thinking of getting back into Martial Arts. And I was looking at a few in my local area and I was really leaning towards a school that taught JKD. I am a bit overweight and I have some physical health issues, even a partial disability in my wrist/hand and some other injuries. Things faded a bit as COVID shut down a lot of the schools in my area for a long time and I also unfortunately lost one of my parents (not coivd related) suddenly which greatly impacted me.

When I posted here, I did not go into my background that much as I don't want to seem egotistical and it's been a while. I also do not like to say who my original instructors are for sake of my privacy and theirs. I have a background as an early Kempo practitioner. I practiced some Aikido with traditional weapons, and also Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan / TaijiQuan, I had over the years two sets of instructors short form and long form. The instructor that taught the long form of Yang Tai Chi Chuan it was like an actual martial art with applications not just the form for exercise. - Again, please NOTE I am not that "great" in any of these even after many past years doing those.

While JKD is still on my mind, and maybe a few more MA's out there... I do think the cost and my available time is an issue. So last year I decided to get back in to basics on what I know, and increased my exercise and have lost about 20 pounds and have held it off.. Not great but I'm getting there. I've been using the iron mace and a medicine ball. I also started again practicing a very short version of Yang style Tai Chi Chuan form. The other plus, is I got a standing desk in my main office which really helps the legs and back.

Sorry, as an older guy, I do ramble a lot.. I hope all of you are doing well here. I also like to Thank everyone here as I remember so many great and helpful people here trying to help me out get started again.
Hello and welcome back.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats on losing 20lbs. I'm still trying to lose 10lbs and it's more difficult than I thought. So to me, losing 20lbs is a big deal.

OP
Old Happy Tiger

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome back to your practice, and well done on the 20 pounds.

Going back to what you did in the past and working on that is a great way to get back into it.
Thank You, when Money and time permits me to do so.. I do want to join a school of some sort.. But for now with the physical limitation that I have.. This short form of Yang style Tai Chi Chuan and the other exercise that I am doing is working for me.

OP
Old Happy Tiger

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And to note, I still like Kenpo and Aikido, it's just that Yang Tai Chi Chuan fit better for me.. at least for the time being.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Welcome back, bro. I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

OP
Old Happy Tiger

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To update this thread as I am still around, I lost about 50 pounds altogether. Last year was really hard for me as I lost one of family members as well as I had some health issues that I was not expecting. I'm back passed all of that now. Originally, I was looking to get into a new marital art in the local area... first there was the issues with covid. There was a few places I did visit and some had all young "kids" and no adults except for the instructors and those places drove me away. So I started practicing Yang Tai Chi Chuan (Yang TaijiQuan) again, more of the short form that I learn from one of my instructors and exercising with the medicine ball and iron mace.
One interesting observation was that a lot of things that I forgot about, came back into focus practicing Yang Tai Chi Chuan (Yang TaijiQuan), especially the martial art side of things. It seems that covid is again really high in my area, so this year I'm going to wait again before I go looking around for a school. While I'm happy in what I know and what I've been doing, being part of a class and school again would be a nice change of pace. There may also be not a 100% perfect place to choose from, but I want to try and at least check out some places close by this year, just to see....