Running out of gas during class,what can i do to help me?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most of the replies have been directed at giving you a larger gas tank -- i.e. increasing your stamina. That's important to be sure, but another valuable thing to do is to increase your mileage. That's to say, try to become more relaxed and efficient.

As an older martial artist, I find that this is at least equally important to keep up with the young bucks. As your technique improves, you can do more with less. Of course this is very heavily emphasized in my core art, Ving Tsun, but I believe you can observe a significant increase in efficiency in the movements of masters of any art.

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the best workout is full body workout....go from standing to the floor on your belly, get up again, then repeat....when this is easier for you....plyo-burpees.....jump in the air, hit the deck, sprawl with a push up and then jump up again on your feet......this will get yu into shape....with all the weights and stairmasters and treadmills......the best exercise only requires your own body......that's why ma is such extremely amazing exercise....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Burpees!!!!!!!!!!

The exercise of kings. Ive been doing the 100 burpee workout. None too fast but I do it.

When you are able...do some under a bar and execute chins on the jump.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am now a firm Insanity fan. Didn't get the body beautiful after the 60 days that some people did, but my cardio improved tenfold. So impressed with the improvement (no longer running out of gas when sparring 5 3 minute rounds) that I immediately did a second round and now on my down days from martial arts I generally chose a circuit I fancy and pump that one out. Definitely helped me and definitely recommend it.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First off, 3.5 months is not a lot of time. If you were fairly out of shape to begin with it will take a while. Stick with it.

I read an article recently about fighters running out of gas and the author said that while it is true that some fighters simply need to improve their cardio for many it's more a case of learning to stay in your target zone. Take jogging as an example, most of us could set a pace slow enough to allow us to jog for a long time, but increase that speed by too much and you're done really quickly. So as you become more experienced you'll find that pace for rolling/sparring that allows you to go strong until the end of class. I'm about the same age as you and most of the guys in my gym are surprised at how hard I can roll at the end of class, it's because I'm careful to pace myself from beginning to end. I also structure my extracurricular work outs/weight lifting to be similar to mma and by that I mean I do 4-5 minute circuits instead of a "1 set/rest for a minute and repeat" body builder work out.

Good luck. Stick with it.

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the home fitness program called Insanity. It made my cardio endurance shoot through the roof. However, if that would be too intense out of the box, there is also Les Mills Combat. Still cardio but less intense, and the moves are taken from different martial arts styles.