Motivation, Getting going again.

Brundlefly

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first post here. Ive been training on and off for 3 years in shotokan karate. Its just coming to 4 months since i last went training which is shamefull.

I really want to get back into it but for some reason cant find the motivation to go again. It might be the thought of having to make loads of excuses why i havent been? Or maybe ive got enough on my plate for now with a busy work schedule? Perhaps karate isnt for me?

I would be interested to hear if other people have had the same issues and how to get over them. What keeps you motivated?

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why did you start in the first place? Has alot changed since then?

One of the main things that keeps me going was that I found a style that totally works with my mentally. Perhaps going to different schools and reading up on different styles may really peak your interests again.

OP
B

Brundlefly

White Belt
Reaction score
When you put it like that, i suppose i started because ive always been interested in MA and wanted to do something in my spare time.

And yes a couple of things have changed, starting a small business, trying to renovate my home. all of a sudden not so much spare time.

After working my way through the 1st 3 or 4 grades i realised it was the training i enjoyed and never fancied the idea of wining trophies or smashing in faces.

Ive also picked up a couple of injuries, broken ribs and the like, which have stopped my training for a few weeks at a time. in the habbit of stopping then starting then stopping then starting...................

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Finding an inspiring instructor or training partner can help a great deal although also knowing your main reasons for training and being self motivated is what will take you the furthest!
Set some attainable goals for yourself and list all of the reasons why this is important to you.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm just back at the dojo after a 14 month absence, work was killing me but it isn't anymore. That, and renovations, family, etc., aren't excuses for not training; they are the reasons I was unable to train. It may seem like a petty distinction, but it really isn't.

If you want to train, and can make it happen, then train. If it is important to you you'll find a way to make a return.