begginers question

shc

White Belt
Reaction score
well i just started training taekwondo this month. instructors teached us ap chagi, bandal chagi and dollyo chagi. he told us that when doing bandal chagi we should kick the opponent in the waist part and leg rotation should be 45 degrees. and when doing dollyo chagi we should hit the opponent in his chest or even better,his head and leg rotation should be 90 degrees. i did some searching on internet and i found few sites with different explanations, some saying that bandal chagi is actually mostly used for head kicks.also i i am not 100% sure about the rotation thing.does that mean that when you lift your knee to your waist and swing,you should rotate the foot(and the leg ofcourse) 45 or 90 degrees to the left(if you are attacking with you right leg from the outer side) ? and what is actually the biggest difference between bandal and dollyo ? maybe i should ask all this question because i just started training but i really get curious when i am into something. sorry if i didnt explain it properly, english is not my mother language. thanks for the help.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off welcome and to answer your question would depend on what style of TKD he teaches, if you would please give that info. be more then happy to answer your questions

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Bandal is more of a diagonal kick- sort of a cross between a front and round kick. If you kick your opponent's elbows with your instep while sparring, you are doing more of a bandal chagi than a dollyo chagi. :)

Miles

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I missing something? What's the difference between bandal chagi and bit chagi? I have always been instructed using the term bit chagi for half-turning kick and I always thought (from my instructor and a book, which one it was I'll have to have a look through later) bandal chagi was an outer crescent kick (if it's not, what is the term for that kick).

OP
S

shc

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the welcome.well he told us that he teaches ''olympic taekwondo'' altough it means nothing to me.when we train he always makes us hit the waist area with bandal and chest or head area with dollyo. is it correct ? and is bandal kick used specifically for waist hitting and dollyo for head hitting or he just trains us that way ?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks for the welcome.well he told us that he teaches ''olympic taekwondo'' altough it means nothing to me.when we train he always makes us hit the waist area with bandal and chest or head area with dollyo. is it correct ? and is bandal kick used specifically for waist hitting and dollyo for head hitting or he just trains us that way ?

What you are calling bandal chagi seems to be what we call, in English, an "arc kick."

Dollyo Chagi is "roundhouse kick" in English.

Arc kick is not necessarily only for hitting waist, but it IS an extremely effective kick there. Very fast, very easy to sneak in under their guard.

Roundhouse kick can be used at any height, as well, from ankle on up to the head. And you can arc kick to the head (although it may only give a glancing blow instead of a nice, solid contact).

It sounds like your instructor is just advising how these kicks are typically used, or good/best uses for these kicks. But those target areas are by no means the ONLY targets for those particular kicks.

I have some similar biases. For example, hook kick is something I would ONLY use to the knee or head, but it is POSSIBLE to use it chest-high, and maybe even practical if the opponent dropped their head to that level. But that is a personal bias, not a "rule."

Train as your instructor is teaching you to train, however.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
...and I always thought (from my instructor and a book, which one it was I'll have to have a look through later) bandal chagi was an outer crescent kick (if it's not, what is the term for that kick).

Outer crescent kick is "bakkat chagi."

Miles

OP
S

shc

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks alot zDom. yeah by your explanation arc kick would be bandal chagi,like you said you can sneak it,it looks and probably is much faster than dollyo chagi,but it looks a bit weaker than dollyo. and just one more thing,about naeryo chagi. when swinging the leg i should turn my foot towards my body and when the leg is going down i should turn it other way,if you get me ? and whats the basic hiting surface,is it that back part of the foot,the roughest(i forgot how its written) or the whole foot ?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks alot zDom. yeah by your explanation arc kick would be bandal chagi,like you said you can sneak it,it looks and probably is much faster than dollyo chagi,but it looks a bit weaker than dollyo. and just one more thing,about naeryo chagi. when swinging the leg i should turn my foot towards my body and when the leg is going down i should turn it other way,if you get me ? and whats the basic hiting surface,is it that back part of the foot,the roughest(i forgot how its written) or the whole foot ?

Again, my Korean terminology is kinda rough when it comes to kicking (we didn't really use it all that much — rarely, if ever), but I think you are talking about axe kick?

In any case, the back side of the heel (the calcaneous bone) is a superior weapon to the sole of the foot. It will hit harder and cause more damage.

(The side of the heel, same bone, is also the weapon for crescent kicks, by the way).

If you want to take it easy on someone, like during light or even medium contact free sparring, the sole of the foot is fine.

shauntkd

White Belt
Reaction score
I was always taught that the rotation of the hip in any kick was the most important part of the kick. It not only got the power of the leg involved, but the power of the rest of your body involved as well. The arc kick you guys were talking about I find is most effective when striking the shoulder or collar bone.

Latest Discussions