Bit Chagi (or Peet Chagi)

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
When training outside of Germany I noticed that, especially in the UK, the Competion Dollyo Chagi is often called "Bit Chagi" or "Peet Chagi".

With "Competition Dollyo Chagi" I mean a Dollyo Chagi which is directed to the trunk, but will hit at an 45° angle instead of 90° in order to be faster. The supporting leg may also be turned way less than 180°.

In Germany most WTF clubs simply call it "Baldeung Chagi" which means "Instep kick". I guess that over time it derived from "Baldung Momtong Dollyo Chagi" (Instep midsection round kick) since that's too long for commands in a training sessions. Just like the Momdollyo Momtong Dwi Chagi (turning mid section back kick) is simply called Dwi Chagi everywhere.

Anyway, I wonder where the term "Bit Chagi" comes from.

In Taekwondo there's the term "Biteuro" like in Biteuro Makki or Biteuro Chagi. That kick's in the opposite direction of a Dollyo Chagi and what a lot of people consider being a Baldeung or Bit Chagi though. "Biteuro" (비트러) stands for 'twisted' and since the original Bituro Chagi is not very common in WTF Taekwondo it may be possible that people tarted using that term for a kick that's only slightly twisted and not fully turned (like the Dollyo Chagi). And since "Biteuro" consists of three syllables it may have been shortened to just the first syllable during competition training. What do you think?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice post, in the old Jido Kwan vocabulary Peet Chagui is a roundhouse kick to the midsection in a 45º angle and the suporting foot does rotate no more then 90º, this is oposed to the Dollyo Chagui that is a full roundhose kick aimed to the face/head area at 90º and the suporting foot turning more than 90º and as close as 180º.

Peet chagui is a flashy kick intended to kick the midsection very fast in some dojang they call it also Bandal Chagui, this kick is easy to perform than the full Dolly Chagui and yes I think the Peet/Bandal Chagui was a developement of the TKD tournaments way back the 60's-70's.

Today in the TKD competition circuits we hear names like London-Chagui, Jep Chup (basically a spining hook kick), Tabol (that in some cases means double kick), etc. Please forgive my spelling if I put the names the wrong way.

Manny

Latest Discussions