terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is everybody take on what is happening with the USAT

USAT Statement on Board of Directors Resignations
spacer.gif

</STRONG>November 9, 2006

The USA Taekwondo Board of Directors has accepted the resignations of Eric Laurin, Jason Poos, Robert Gallagher and Tim Thackrey that were tendered to the USAT on October 31, 2006. While the USAT strongly disagrees with the accuracy of the statement read by these Directors on the floor of the 2007 General Assembly, it serves no purpose at this time to enter into a debate as to the reasons for the resignations. Rather, the USAT is better served by looking forward. USAT must develop programs that will help its athletes achieve sustained competitive excellence and it must promote and grow the sport of Taekwondo. The current members of the Board of Directors are committed to accomplishing those goals and to fostering an environment that leads to effective leadership for the organization.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They did the right thing in standing up for what they think is right. These 4 chose to not let the USOC bully them. I commend them for having the balls to do the right thing.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry---I've no clue at all, I don't follow sport TKD and that's what it seems the USAT is all about. What's your take on it? Seems weird, all those resignations at once---some kind of failed coup, it might be...?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry---I've no clue at all, I don't follow sport TKD and that's what it seems the USAT is all about. What's your take on it? Seems weird, all those resignations at once---some kind of failed coup, it might be...?

It is like Mango said they have there beliefs in the way it should be ran and upfront with all member and they have there inner agenda.

Mainly they would love to keep it to only those players that will play there game, the problem is they are loosing way to many of the top players due to there under the table tatics.

I believe it is a game the USAT will eventually loose to another organization, not even two years ago the hadto cover up the old regime and start a new and now they are repeating history with cover up and favoritism over the quality of athletes.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They did the right thing in standing up for what they think is right. These 4 chose to not let the USOC bully them. I commend them for having the balls to do the right thing.

Sir what do you believe will be the last straw for the USAT ans when do you believe the downfall will come?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not into prediction making or rumor spreading. Enough of that goes on at forums like oeplayers.com. That said, it seems unlikly to me that the USAT can survive through 2007 and perhaps AAU will be the next NGB.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know the story here... who are the players, and what was at issue? Whatever went on seems to reflect a conflict at a fairly high level in the organization... what was happening behind the scenes? Can you shed some light on this?

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Could we get a quick overview of why it happened. Checking with the USAT web site offered nothing.

This is just a cursory observation, based upon what little information is available and having a modicum of knowledge of past history with the USTU, which became the USAT and the offshoot for most of the Koreans, the USTW (United States TKD Won). It looks as if some internal factions of the USAT are opening the door for the USTW. After all, this is where most if not all of the Korean Masters who were the part of the USTU have relocated and still have great influence with Korea/Kukkiwon/WTF and the olympic officials.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In a nutshell:

USAT tried to fire Harvey Berkey. USOC said no, Reinstate him or we will pull your funding. USAT reinstated him. Board members resigned in protest.

Read all about it at recoiltkd.net and oeplayers.com

This is the text of an address offered by the Eric Laurin, Jason Poos, Bob Gallagher and Tim Thackrey to the General Assembly:

To all USA Taekwondo Members,

There comes a point in time when one must choose to take a stand against that which they know is not right.

On October 20, 2006 the Board of Directors of USA Taekwondo held a special meeting and committed themselves to an action in accordance with the Bylaws, which would lead to true membership representation.

As retribution for this action 5 members of the Board had frivolous complaints filed against them. The USOC suspended funding and threatened decertification.

If the USOC was to reinstate funding we would have to agree to many objectionable demands. This was unacceptable to Mr. Laurin, Mr. Poos, Mr. Gallagher, Mr. Thackrey and others. We were not willing to compromise our fiduciary responsibility. Therefore we were faced with the possibility of athletes losing competitive and training opportunities coupled with the potential for loss of staff jobs.

This Board took action under legal advisement with the hope of becoming the model Board the USOC desired which would provide NGB governance and organizational transparency.

The unfortunate reality was that no matter how valid our actions were they were contrary to the predetermined path the USOC had calculated for our sport.

The action this Board took on October 20th 2006 was valid, legal, and in accordance with the bylaws and to have our athletes used as pawns to force this Board to rescind its act is unjustified and something we could not associate ourselves with.

Regardless of how wrong we felt the USOC position was, our only recourse was to step back and allow for athlete funding to be reinstated.

Along with other past factors and situations we have come to the conclusion that this Board was never intended to carry out the desires of membership but rather fulfill the devices of the USOC.

In closing, a majority of this Board has kept the ideal that athletes come first. When others in the organization decide to place their desires secondary to that of the athletes this organization will be able to start down the road to sustained competitive excellence.

Respectfully,

Eric Laurin, Jason Poos, Robert Gallagher, Timothy Thackrey

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mangoman---thanks very much for this information, now it all becomes clear. And I have to say, I'm not surprised...

I have to confess, I have for a long time loathed the organizational bureaucracy of the IOC and, much of the time, its US and Canadian affiliates because of their bullying interference in the world of the athletes whose terrific abilities create the performances that so impress us. They've done the same thing in skiing for the better part of a century---did all they could to kill off the pro circuit when it started in the late 1960s and early 70s. They have a history of hypocrisy that stretches back many decades. While, as I say, to me TKD isn't of much interest as a sport, I do respect those who do engage in it competitively and I can't stand the way the USOC throws its weight (measured in moneybags) around to force athletic contests into the form it regards as best for its own totally self-serving interests. All that inflated piety at the opening ceremonies... but this kind of thing is really what's going on behind the scenes.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, mango.man. As much as I hate to see good people forced out of an organization like that, it is nice to know that people with that level of integrity are out there setting an example.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Kacey it is refreshing to see some of the younger players stand tall and be the voice of reason when other set back and rewards themself for doing nothing.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Kacey it is refreshing to see some of the younger players stand tall and be the voice of reason when other set back and rewards themself for doing nothing.

I'm completely with Terry and Kacey on this. It's kind of reassuring, isn't it---there are almost always people who are willing to walk their talk, even if it costs them something.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually funding had already been suspended. Back in April of 2006 the board had questions and concerns about the program and contract of Herb Perez. They were told in the April meeting by USOC not to interfere with the contract as it was between the previous M& G committee. When the membership dropped and the board decided to being up the contract again in August. Evidence was provided that the contract with Herb was signed under a company that did not exist. This then became a problem as a new contract would need to be signed with this board. This board was not going to approve the contract. Harvey Berkey’s daughter evidence shows become the new registered agent to Herb’s new company. A contract was signed and never approved by this board.
And Investigation perused with the USOC. The board felt that Harvey Berkey had now become a conflict and his interest was with a private contractor and not the corporation.

With the advise of three attorneys the board then followed the bylaws to remove Harvey Berkey. During this process, Mr. Perez then decided to file erroneous complaints on Eric Laurin, J Poos, and many others. Mr. Berkey was legally removed from the board and Eric Laurin became the chair. The next action was to deal with the contract and the election issues that are in litigation. The USOC then sent a deal to the board. The deal was basically agree to the contract, Harvey is back in the board if you do this then they will give the money back if they don’t they will be decertified. They would also have Herb drop all the erroneous formal complaint, they would however have to sign a disclaimer and they would not be able to discuss what happened.

The board (4) decided that they were not going to agree to the contract that they knew was wrong, and they were not going to agree to allow Berkey back on the board as he was legally voted off in the best interest of the corporation. Basically Yes, they were not going to do anything that they did not feel was right!

There were and still are other issued that are going on that or in litigation. Election issues is one that could effect everything. There is also the issue of Mr. Holloway not being nominated for Referee Director and many feel that a write in is in order. However, a letter from USAT states it will not accept any write-ins.

Personal opinion, we are no better than and perhaps worse than 3 years ago.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hal-apino first off welcome to Martial Talk secondly thanks for all the info. this is why we did not go the Senior or to the Junior Olympics and such this year they are not going to do anything for the Athletes they only care about there pocket.

Master Stoker

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
hal-apino first off welcome to Martial Talk secondly thanks for all the info. this is why we did not go the Senior or to the Junior Olympics and such this year they are not going to do anything for the Athletes they only care about there pocket.

Master Stoker

Thank you Master Stoker,

I am a bit disturbed over the rule change with the Referees, there for I will not be attending Juniors. I did go to cleavalmd for the meetings, but not for competition. It's a shame that the best people we had in this sport were run off! I do not know what needs to happen to turn this around but perhaps your idea is best.

Hal

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you Master Stoker,

I am a bit disturbed over the rule change with the Referees, there for I will not be attending Juniors. I did go to cleavalmd for the meetings, but not for competition. It's a shame that the best people we had in this sport were run off! I do not know what needs to happen to turn this around but perhaps your idea is best.

Hal

I know we will be doing AAU next year except something chages real soon. It is a shame my school has always tried to support them and they are just kicking me and my athletes in the *** way to much.

Next year I would like to see how they plan on having enough referees for both Juniors and Senior combined the do not have enough now as it is.

Thanks again Hal

Terry

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hal is very passionate about this subject but a lot of what is said is speculation. I attended the Nationals this year and also paid for the coaching seminar. Many people had knocked it and I decided to “see for myself” if what was being said was true. It was actually a very good seminar and I learned a great deal. It certainly was better than the first one I took over 20 years ago at the Dayton nationals and all of the others I have attended. There are problems in the USAT but it still has hope. I even had a conversation with the USAT CEO about this very matter. I will share that info on a private basis with any of you that ask. I hope we can keep a real conversation on this board as Hal and another member on OE have tried to contact my employer because I did not agree with them and also use my real name. I consider that to be unacceptable behavior for an adult and I believe it shows the real character of the individual. Threatening individuals is immoral and discredits the viewpoint that the individual takes.

ron

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hal is very passionate about this subject but a lot of what is said is speculation. I attended the Nationals this year and also paid for the coaching seminar. Many people had knocked it and I decided to “see for myself” if what was being said was true. It was actually a very good seminar and I learned a great deal. It certainly was better than the first one I took over 20 years ago at the Dayton nationals and all of the others I have attended. There are problems in the USAT but it still has hope. I even had a conversation with the USAT CEO about this very matter. I will share that info on a private basis with any of you that ask. I hope we can keep a real conversation on this board as Hal and another member on OE have tried to contact my employer because I did not agree with them and also use my real name. I consider that to be unacceptable behavior for an adult and I believe it shows the real character of the individual. Threatening individuals is immoral and discredits the viewpoint that the individual takes.

ron

Master Southwick please feel free to Pm me about your converstation, as I have always had respect for you. I"m sorry that abyvody ould attack since you are a level headed gentleman. I was not there so I do not know the whole story and I probaly will bever know, I can just add my disappointment with everything.
Sincerly
Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
My feelings on this whole matter is that why do we have a board of directors if they are not able to "direct?" If the USOC is going to pull strings, wouldn't it be a little more honest to not even have a BOD but continue to have a Managing Committee appointed by the USOC?

I am heartened at the integrity shown by those who resigned but disheartened that the organization has lost people w/TKD experience.

I have also read of very personal attacks on those who disagreed or who did not agree to the same extent as the poster. People are not "traitors" simply because they hold a different opinion. I remember attending a seminar w/GM Sell and mentioned that "Character is what you do when no one is looking." Attacks on the reputation of dedicated people by often unknown keyboard warriors is not a show of good character.

Until this whole situation works itself out, I have removed my school from the USAT. I went to Cleveland and cheered some Michigan players, but my support is for individuals, not the organization as it presently stands.

Miles

Latest Discussions