Beer

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Had a light meal after an evening of kick-boxing and yoga. Followed that with an IPA by Elysian Brewing, Seattle, WA.

"The Immortal" is a nice golden, slightly copper IPA with just enough hoppiness, meaning, I would not describe it as hoppy, but they are definitely there. I have never had a bad beer from these guys.

What good beer(s) have you had recently?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lately I have been Enjoying Effes Dark. Turkish beer. It's not bad.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
As Homer used to sing:

DOUGH- The stuff that buys me BEER
RAY- The guy who sells me BEER
ME- The guy who drinks the BEER
FAR- The distance to my BEER
SO- I think I'll have a BEER
LA-la-la-la-la-la BEER
TEA- No thanks I'll have a BEER
That will bring us back to--D'OH!

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good beers?

From Japan: Ki-Rin Ichiban. Sopporo is good, but Ki-Rin is "Number 1!"

From Belgium: Corsondonk Dark and Corsondonk Light are both excellent beers and, frankly, the only one worthy of having an image of Our Lady and Jesus on the bottle!

Besides Corsendonk, Lindeman's Kriek is very good (although it's a lambic).

From the U.S.: I don't really drink much in the way of American beer, if I can help it although there are some good microbrews out there. I do like Eliot Ness every now and again.

Anybody ever try O.B. from Korea? I have been unable to track any down but would like to give it a try.

Pax,

Chris

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had a light meal after an evening of kick-boxing and yoga. Followed that with an IPA by Elysian Brewing, Seattle, WA.

"The Immortal" is a nice golden, slightly copper IPA with just enough hoppiness, meaning, I would not describe it as hoppy, but they are definitely there. I have never had a bad beer from these guys.

What good beer(s) have you had recently?

I live not far from the Russian River Brewing Company, and as such feel compelled to enjjoy a pint of their Pliny the Elder on a semi-regular basis. It's an interesting one, with some odd yeast and spice to it. Won some bunch of awards; tourists come from around the world to try it in it's home tank; but I just like it for the heartiness.

Went to school in Brixelles, where I learned to savor a fine beer. Frined of mine bought be a poster, made from a Manet painting "The Good Beer"
http://www.aspectart.com/shp/Manet-Edouard/A-Good-Glass-of-Beer-1873/

One of lifes best moments of reflection for me: Snowflake tobacco from local shop, pint of Pliny. Good moment.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Three Philosophers Quadrupel by Ommegang. Nice chocolatey ale with a hint of cherry. It would be a favorite if I could afford to buy it regularly.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the words of Benjamin Franklin:

Actually, no. What he said was:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

Nevertheless, I agree with the incorrect version.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
PBR- Recession Beer, but you can convince yourself that it's tasty.
Yuengling- I wish it was distributed in STL. Reminds me of good times in Philly.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Abita Purple Haze= Raspberry Wheat, great for summer. Also like Oxford Raspberry Wheat= Raspberry Wheat, like I said up there ^.
In cold weather I like Sierra Nevada Porter & Stout, although they continue brewing in my belly well after I drink them. LOL. 'Cause I am a redhead, I like an Irish Half & Half= Guiness Stout floated over Harp Lager. Not to be confused w/ a Black & Tan= Guiness Stout floated over Bass Ale. Half & Half= Irish and Black & Tan= English. I will not drink Kilians Irish Red cause it is a Coors product (Coors light) with red food coloring & some places used to charge an Import price for this (CHOKE) beer. It also gives me headaches from the red dye. I will not PAY an import price for a Sam Adams Boston Lager, it's not an Import (Again) we had an import tax issue in Boston a while back, LOL. I can understand a Pub/Bar charging a micro-brew price, but Sam Adams is no small micro-brew. I used to like Fosters in the big oil can when the cans were (LOL) steel. Now the Fosters served in the States in no longer brewed in Australia (Took so long to ship over seas), they now have a brewery in Canada then charge Import prices for it coming over the border, imported, just not from Austailia. FOSTERS= IT'S CANADIAN FOR BEER, UH, I MEAN AUSTRAILIAN FOR BEER. LOL.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm liking the IPAs right now too. Bell's Two Hearted is a good one and is available at the local grocery store. A brewery about an hour away called The Hideout sells Bootleg IPA that I really like. But the best is Short's Brewing Company's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA. Mmmmmm, I think I'll have a Two Hearted later.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like microbrews. Sam Adams is also great. Someday soon, I'll be able to spare some extra cash to buy some carboys, some grain, hops, and yeast, and I'll be able to use my father's set-up to make a few 5-gallon kegs of my own brews...

Unfortunately, the economy here is hurting hard so tonight I'm drinking... almost sad to say it... Miller Light... I know, I know... It may seem preferrable to just practise my slapping techniques with the side of my own head, but I worked out hard tonight and I'm in the mood for a few... Lucky I have that bottle of single malt scotch that the old man bought me for x-mas...

strikesubmit

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i'll always be a Guinness fan. it's an acquired taste for sure...and i think i've more than acquired it...it's seeped into my soul.

i also tend to prefer the darker brews. stouts, porters, etc.

and yes, Sam Adams is great. especially the holiday seasonals. around Christmas time, i just had the Fezziwig from Sam Adams, and it was amazing.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't really drink that often but my current favorites are either Boulevard Wheat or Fat Tire...Guiness is always acceptable too.

Latest Discussions