The new Soup Nazis

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://www.defense-training.com/quips/21Jan09.html

More Snooper-Vision in the UK

21 Jan 09
More UK, nanny-state "Snooper-vision," coming our way soon:
UK homeowners are all to be "visited" soon by government officials from the "Waste and Resources Action Program (WRAP)."
You just can't make this stuff up!

This is a door-to-door campaign involving a new army of "Food-Nazis-" erstwhile unemployed "private contractors," who have received an entire day of training. With that one day under their belt, they intend to barge into people 's homes, unannounced, and then proceed to push them around in their own kitchen, telling them what they will prepare, what they will eat, and what they will like and dislike. Most of the people to whom they are providing this unsolicited, unwanted, threat-laden "advice" have forgottenmore about preparing meals than these twerps are ever likely to know!

In addition, home-owners will be deluged with intelligence-insulting government leaflets insisting, as always, that they never question authority, and, of course, that they turn in their neighbors, who may.
All this in the midst of a severe recession, where tax money must be wisely spent!

There is no answer to the question of what a home-owner is supposed to do when he doesn't want these government punks snooping around his house, doesn't want their advice, and doesn't want to answer their questions. Presumably, anyone who tells the food-gestapo to go screw themselves will be thrown in prison.

Again, when we hear about "modern, European-style government programs," this kind of nanny-state, rights-destroying, harassment-for-harassment's sake, snooper-vision that they're really talking about!

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://www.defense-training.com/quips/22Jan09.html

Confirmation

22 Jan 09
Confirmation, from a friend in Lancashire, UK:
In response to my last Quip, I've received a number of responses, assuring me that none of what I said is possible. "Can't be true!" I was told.

The is from a friend who lives there:
"That's not the half of it!

I can no longer keep count of acheronian government agencies whose officials are authorized, by law, to enter our homes, without warning, and without what you call a 'warrant.' They don't need anything like that. Yes, they just barge in!

What you failed to mention is that they are also taking photos of our homes, and each dustbin (garbage can) is now assigned a number, and will soon bear a built-in micro chip that automatically weighs the bin, before and after emptying, and simultaneously registers your house number. Come next year, we are to be automatically charged extra for every pound 'overweight,' whatever the government decides that figure is. All this is in addition to the exorbitant fees we are already paying.
The not-so-subtle message is that you had better only eat what the Food-Police dictate, or pay the price in 'excess-garbage fees!'
We are currently expected to assiduously sort trash into five categories, to be expanded to seven later this year. What they don't trumpet is the blatant hypocrisy! All such categories are then immediately re-amalgamated, after collection, and subsequently buried together in the same landfill, en masse. So much for 'recycling' It's a cruel joke!"

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
So do we have any actual confirmation of this program, other than an anonymous email? Somehow, I imagine the actual details are far more prosaic. Just one instance of doubt - I don't think you could install any small chip that would accurately weigh an entire bin. Even if on the bottom, minor changes in tilt or objects under the corners would greatly change any measured weight.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The wiki summary talks about governmental advisory programs and communications outreach. Their own website talks about more of the same. I don't see anything about barging into homes without a warrant/invitation, turning each other's neighbors in, prison time, or automatic trashbin weighing devices.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For crying out loud what a load of clap trap! No it is not true.
some people need to really get a life.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think that it is slightly disrespectful to the Brits on this forum to even suggest that we would even put up with something like this! Complete nonsense.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye.

Mind you, I moan every day about the unpaid labour the Council extorts from me as I sort the rubbish for recycling ... and I still do it :lol:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a problem currently in that the country produces too much rubbish, the government wants it cut down so there are various schemes to do that, some work, some don't. As with a lot of government things some are also as laughable as the OP is.
There is also a different government campaign to get people eating healthily so we don't end up all obese. That consists of media advertising to eat more fruit and veg. The two aren't connected.

http://www.wrap.org.uk/wrap_corporate/about_wrap/what_is_wrap/index.html

WRAP isn't a government department.

Latest Discussions