At what age should boys start fighting with full contact to the body?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i Think we are as close to certain as its possible to be that bread doesnt cause more brain damage than punching, not unless you let it get very hard and then hit people over the head with it

And yes, you are for once correct, i have no concerns whatsoever about the food I buy and consume, There are somethings I wont buy, like TUNA, I cant get it out of my head that it contains dolphin and prawns etal, to far down the food chain

I would say your response just confirms everyone's suspicions.
My post said nothing about the bread itself, which obviously fell on your deaf ears. I am saying I am less concerned about CTE than I am the preservatives and such that are being put in our food. There, the cookies are on the bottom shelf.

I personally know full well the effects of cumulative effects of concussions.

Oh, let me ask you; do you eat chicken?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say your response just confirms everyone's suspicions.
My post said nothing about the bread itself, which obviously fell on your deaf ears. I am saying I am less concerned about CTE than I am the preservatives and such that are being put in our food. There, the cookies are on the bottom shelf.

I personally know full well the effects of cumulative effects of concussions.

Oh, let me ask you; do you eat chicken?
But you said BREAD and seems as the preservatives are n the bread, just like the flour and the yeast it seems a strange distinction to make.

But no i don't eat chicken, im largely vegetarian, not on health or moral grounds, just i m not keen on meat, so only eat it on rare occasions. I shall be having turkey on christmas day

my dog on the other hand lives mainly on chicken breasts. do you think i should be concerned for his well being

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you said BREAD and seems as the preservatives are n the bread, just like the flour and the yeast it seems a strange distinction to make.

But no i don't eat chicken, im largely vegetarian, not on health or moral grounds, just i m not keen on meat, so only eat it on rare occasions. I shall be having turkey on christmas day

my dog on the other hand lives mainly on chicken breasts. do you think i should be concerned for his well being

In the vein of being worried about what you eat and what They have eaten, then yes. Fowl, particularly chicken, ducks/geese, and turkey regularly eat their own feces. It is thought they do this mainly to recapture the protein.
Do I eat fowl? Yep. But I know they are pretty nasty animals when compared to humans which is kind of silly.

Tuna is about as healthy a food source as there is. BUT it could be akin to my bread analogy. IF a bunch of other stuff is being put into to the tuna you purchase, it isn't the tuna which is potentially harmful to you.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some 10-13 year old boys want to start fighting full contact. In our club (Thai Boxing and MMA) full contact to the head starts with 16 and to the body with 14.

I think, when the boys want to fight with full contact and the parents agree, there is no reason not to allow it. And for self defense it would be better. In my opinion boys until 16 years should use headgear in thaiboxing. In MMA punches to the head should start with 16 at competitions and only light contact in training to the head, because headgear is very annoying on the ground.

I once watched a fight with two 12 year old kids. One fighter took some hard low kicks and punches to the gut. Then he stood groggy in the ring corner, after several punches and an elbow to the head. He tighened his sixpack and his opponed kicked him 8 times with full force in the stomach. He went down, but he was back on his feet in time. His opponent punched him to the head, clinched him and rammed one knee after another in his stomach, until the boy went down again and couldn't get up. When he hit the ground, his opponend kicked him in the belly - I don't know if that is allowed in Thailand. Pretty hard fight, but no injury and the kid smiled after a while.

By the way, the boys in Australia seem to be pretty tough, too. :)

Never. What for? Glory?
But if they are over 18 (I will not argue about the exact age) and well advised, up to them (and instructors).

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the vein of being worried about what you eat and what They have eaten, then yes. Fowl, particularly chicken, ducks/geese, and turkey regularly eat their own feces. It is thought they do this mainly to recapture the protein.
Do I eat fowl? Yep. But I know they are pretty nasty animals when compared to humans which is kind of silly.

Tuna is about as healthy a food source as there is. BUT it could be akin to my bread analogy. IF a bunch of other stuff is being put into to the tuna you purchase, it isn't the tuna which is potentially harmful to you.
this is a first world problem, half the globe is struggling to get enough calories to sustain life and the other half has eating disorders

The reason food is cheap and plentiful is the west is the food processing industry and their additives.

its the easiest thing in the world to buy fresh baked bread, with no additives,the problem is it goes off in a day or two. it makes no sense for you to buy a product you think is poisoning you for convenience and then worry that it is poisoning you. Really if your bread phobia is as advantance as you suggest, then just bake your own, flour water oven , equals bread

if you think chicken is harmful stop eating it. it really makes no sense that your warning me it may harm my dog, whilst eating it yourself

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you think chicken is harmful stop eating it. it really makes no sense that your warning me it may harm my dog, whilst eating it yourself

In the USA chicken and eggs are prepared differently from the UK, they also have more additives in their food than we do. Compare what is in a US Mcdonald's hamburger to what's in a UK McDs hamburger, you'll see why ours are quite bland, no additives.

OP
D

Denis4fight

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Well, I guess it is ok to fight with full contact to the body, if the parents agree. Only boys who want to, of course. Punches to the head at that age only with good protection. And remember, they don't have a competition every weekend.

And about the girls - boys where asking and not girls. It is perfectly ok, if boys fight tougher than girls. Thaiboxing and MMA aren't girl sports - I know, I am from the last century, when boys where boys and girls were girls. Things have changed.

And I think it is a cultural thing. In the western countries the parents condemn the thai people, because in their culture even younger boys fight full contact without protection.

At the same time, parents in the western countries give their kids garbage to eat (Mc Donalds, TV dinner, tons of sugar, ...) and electronic devices (smartphone, computer, playstation, ...) so they don't have to spend to much time with their kids.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Well, I guess it is ok to fight with full contact to the body, if the parents agree. Only boys who want to, of course. Punches to the head at that age only with good protection. And remember, they don't have a competition every weekend.

And about the girls - boys where asking and not girls. It is perfectly ok, if boys fight tougher than girls. Thaiboxing and MMA aren't girl sports - I know, I am from the last century, when boys where boys and girls were girls. Things have changed.

And I think it is a cultural thing. In the western countries the parents condemn the thai people, because in their culture even younger boys fight full contact without protection.

At the same time, parents in the western countries give their kids garbage to eat (Mc Donalds, TV dinner, tons of sugar, ...) and electronic devices (smartphone, computer, playstation, ...) so they don't have to spend to much time with their kids.
You see I stood up for you about the sexist comments before but now yeah now I ain't defending that...Mma kickboxing, Thai boxing whatever you're right they're not women's sports....they're sports for both genders. I've seen some extremely tough women who could 100% destroy me in the ring. You're saying Mma isn't for girls? Guess you never heard of ronda rousey, holly holm (also a kickboxing champion) Amanda Nunez etc etc. I guarantee every one of those women would beat you.

Your from the last century? well so am I and guess what women were doing boxing and kickboxing then to (not so much Mma as it wasn't around hugely before the 90s)

Boys fight tougher than girls? Lol what a load of crap....some boys are better than some girls and some girls are better than guys.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Also no not all parents do that, some do yeah but others don't. Same as when I was a kid. You seem to have an attitude your generation is so much better than younger people well no sorry it's not. I'm an older person to and sorry to burst your bubble but their were lazy fat kids back then to.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

So being aware of the dangers of head trauma and the potential for brain injury is something that you call a “cultural thing”?

Anyone who disregards those issues, particularly when it comes to children, deserves some criticism. Culture be damned.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So being aware of the dangers of head trauma and the potential for brain injury is something that you call a “cultural thing”?

Anyone who disregards those issues, particularly when it comes to children, deserves some criticism. Culture be damned.
Yeah I just hope this guy isn't a coach

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the USA chicken and eggs are prepared differently from the UK, they also have more additives in their food than we do. Compare what is in a US Mcdonald's hamburger to what's in a UK McDs hamburger, you'll see why ours are quite bland, no additives.
If your eggs are not refrigerated they are not washed before use. There is a protective called egg bloom that the hen "spreads" on the egg just before laying. It seals the shell pores so once the egg is washed it loses this protection and has to either be used or refrigerated. They can last considerably longer refrigerated.
Interesting, I have never heard that about McDonalds burgers. A Lot of beef is shipped from the U.S. and South America to England and all over the world. About 1/2 is live weight and half is partially processed.
Maybe you just need to add more salt?:)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Teaching kids is a big responsibility, one that should be taken seriously. Especially when someone is entrusting them to your care/coaching.

I never understood parents who just wanted to sign their kids up without watching a few classes.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Teaching kids is a big responsibility, one that should be taken seriously. Especially when someone is entrusting them to your care/coaching.

I never understood parents who just wanted to sign their kids up without watching a few classes.
Paid aftercare, plain and simple. IMHO

OP
D

Denis4fight

White Belt
Reaction score
Please don't imply things I didn't say. I am all for head protection. I wrote about the thai and our culture - both have issues. Many kids don't do any sport, eat unheathy and their parents don't spend time with them - often there is only a single mum at home. And football is as bad for the brain as thaiboxing in Thailand.

About the girls in martial arts - yea I know, there are tough girls in MMA. But that is the exception. Most of the time girls don't want to fight full contact. In a sport with real fighting, like boxing, most members are male. Of course, there are some female members, but most of them don't do fights with full contact. So REAL boxing and thaiboxing and mma is not a female sport - in general. When a women trains thaiboxing like a thaiboxer, but she doesn't fight, then she is not a thaiboxer - at least in a traditional way, because full contact fighting is essential for muay thai. If you want to be a warrior, you have to go to war. It is perfectly fine to do sports with thaiboxing elements or train thaiboxing without fighting, but you are not a thaiboxer, just because you dance around with thaiboxing techniques. And I am liberal, everyone can train, how ever she or he wants to. But especially thaiboxing is about fighting full contact, not about collecting techniques and belts. So real thaiboxing should be like real thaiboxing, there are enough other martial arts, if somebody doesn't like it.

Of course, modern science says, that there is a big risk for the brain, especially for teenagers, so we have to adapt and use good helmets and big gloves in youth training. That's why I asked about full contact to the body, not to the head.

And i asked about boys fighting with full contact to the body, because they asked - not the girls. The girls are happy with the way they train.

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
About the girls in martial arts - yea I know, there are tough girls in MMA. But that is the exception. Most of the time girls don't want to fight full contact. In a sport with real fighting, like boxing, most members are male. Of course, there are some female members, but most of them don't do fights with full contact. So REAL boxing and thaiboxing and mma is not a female sport - in general.

Do you even know how to Internet, bro? Just because the gals in your club don't want to fight full contact doesn't mean "tough girls" are rare. Sure, there are more male fighters, but you don't get into MMA, boxing, etc. without expecting to get bruised, bloodied, and a few broken bones, regardless of gender. Go use Google, YouTube, Facebook, whatever. There are lots of ladies out there fully prepared to beat the tar out of their opponents as well as take a beating.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you even know how to Internet, bro? Just because the gals in your club don't want to fight full contact doesn't mean "tough girls" are rare. Sure, there are more male fighters, but you don't get into MMA, boxing, etc. without expecting to get bruised, bloodied, and a few broken bones, regardless of gender. Go use Google, YouTube, Facebook, whatever. There are lots of ladies out there fully prepared to beat the tar out of their opponents as well as take a beating.
I am not certain what offended you so much in the OP but if you take the aggregate of ALL internet videos of people displaying their martial arts, that may be only 1% of everyone practicing a martial art. So it is a terrible sample.
However, SOME videos are excellent examples of exceptional fighters.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is perfectly ok, if boys fight tougher than girls. Thaiboxing and MMA aren't girl sports -

What a load of bollocks. really, it's time you actually did some learning. Oh and to the rest I called him out on the sexism that some of you said wasn't there, I was right.

If your eggs are not refrigerated they are not washed before use. There is a protective called egg bloom that the hen "spreads" on the egg just before laying. It seals the shell pores so once the egg is washed it loses this protection and has to either be used or refrigerated. They can last considerably longer refrigerated.
Interesting, I have never heard that about McDonalds burgers. A Lot of beef is shipped from the U.S. and South America to England and all over the world. About 1/2 is live weight and half is partially processed.
Maybe you just need to add more salt?:)

Eggs from the USA are illegal here as are ours in the US. We don't wash them while the US does, ours don't have to be refrigerated. the law in the UK doesn't allow certain additives that are allowed in the US, McDonalds only use British and Irish beef/chicken not imported from anywhere else, this has to be true otherwise they will be prosecuted. When food is imported here the country of origin has to be stated and it's also an offence to advertise 'British only meat' if it's not. They also use free range eggs. We don't actually import very much beef from the US, we are 75% self sufficient and will import the rest from Brazil and the rest of the EU who have the same standards. This is the huge worry if we are forced to trade with your government at the moment, we do not want chlorinated chicken, washed eggs or growth hormone meat.
Beef Statistics | National Beef Association

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What a load of bollocks. really, it's time you actually did some learning. Oh and to the rest I called him out on the sexism that some of you said wasn't there, I was right.

Eggs from the USA are illegal here as are ours in the US. We don't wash them while the US does, ours don't have to be refrigerated. the law in the UK doesn't allow certain additives that are allowed in the US, McDonalds only use British and Irish beef/chicken not imported from anywhere else, this has to be true otherwise they will be prosecuted. When food is imported here the country of origin has to be stated and it's also an offence to advertise 'British only meat' if it's not. They also use free range eggs. We don't actually import very much beef from the US, we are 75% self sufficient and will import the rest from Brazil and the rest of the EU who have the same standards. This is the huge worry if we are forced to trade with your government at the moment, we do not want chlorinated chicken, washed eggs or growth hormone meat.
Beef Statistics | National Beef Association

Good info, thanks. The last line about the 60k tonnes of import is what I was referencing to. It looks like over half of it comes from the U.S.
EU seals deal to boost U.S. beef imports: sources

We also have to identify origin on all meats. As far as growth hormones I think you are referring to, they have been long gone since around 2000. It is still used as a fear mongering tactic but especially packages/processed meat is, in my opinion, overly regulated.
I do not know this as fact but I suspect the tonnage noted is mostly live weight that is finished and process on your end to meet your standards. Makes the most sense. You are correct that a LOT of beef comes from Brazil.

I am not familiar with chlorinated water for cleaning a chicken being an issue. Is your drinking water not chlorinated? I viewed several industry sites that said only about 10% of our chicken industry uses chlorinated water for cleaning the actual meat but since it is required by the USDA, all processing equipment has to use chlorinated water, heat and additional sanitizers.
From the readings, it looks like the EU breakup is being used to spread a lot of hype and fear of imports.
When I was in high school I work at a live weight processing meat market. An inspector was there every day and I honestly do not know how we could have been more thorough on cleaning, inspecting, and tracking procedures. This was in the 80's. I am certain procedures have continued to changed and as a beef producer I know there are a lot more checks done on live animals compared to back then.
As a beef cattleman, I focus more on producing animals that require the least input cost to reach output goals. That would be getting to sale weight by the appropriate time and feeding rate without the added cost of supplements or hormones.
Do you know if your dairy industry allows hormones (rBGH)? This is the synthetic version of growth hormone.
It is hard to find a consistent number but is looks like 10-15% of U.S. beef will have naturally occurring hormones (estradiol, progesterone and testosterone), bolus as young calf's. By slaughter weight the bolus has been exhausted for some time, months. It is not something done en masse because it is just too costly. After testing levels, a calf that is poor or underweight may get the bolus to regulate hormone levels to normal. Levels cannot exceed normal levels or it can have deadly effects for the animal.
Hormones are something that are quite hyped. They are something that every living animal have and need, and sometimes need to be regulated (an aging female for example).
The welfare of the animals, and the resulting quality of finished product is the bottom line.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like over half of it comes from the U.S.

This is not the UK however, we triggered Article 50 so EU deals don't include us.

From the readings, it looks like the EU breakup is being used to spread a lot of hype and fear of imports.

The EU is not breaking up, we don't even know yet if we are leaving

Is your drinking water not chlorinated?

The water itself isn't chlorinated, chlorine is used as a disinfectant/cleaner but the levels allowed to be in the drinking water are minuscule.

Do you know if your dairy industry allows hormones (rBGH)

No it's not allowed in the UK or EU. Are dairy cows given growth hormones?

Latest Discussions