Army Combatives

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian inspired me...

If you are interested, here is the Army's Field Manual for "Combatives"
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-25-150/index.html
Their program isn't nearly as developed or regimented as the Marines Martial Arts program, but they do have some good hand to hand techniques. My favorite is the "Kevlar Kiss"...Basically you smash someone in the face with your helmet!

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
EXCELLENT link!
I wish I could either print out the whole thing or at least save it to file in pdf format.
Seriously, everyone needs to check that one out. There is a massive amount of information on it.
Thanks!

AoG

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you for sharing the Field Manual for Army combat training.

In the 70's you should have seen our basic training for hand to hand...you would laugh. It was not an effective way to fight in hand to hand.

Viewing a few of the techniques..reminds me of karate , judo, and kempo style of fighting. ..........Aloha

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I always get some useful tidbits of info from many diffeent sources.

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
This is the old manual (2002)--now it's completely different, they overhauled it and based it on BJJ and Muy Thai, with weapons.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had heard that they released a new one, but this is the most current I could find. I've been through all of the .mil sites and none seem to have the new regs. This is a great resource even if it is no longer the current TTP.

I'll keep looking for an updated version. My Army counterparts didn't have an electronic version either.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the old manual (2002)--now it's completely different, they overhauled it and based it on BJJ and Muy Thai, with weapons.

Correction. This is the most current one available. This one includes the BJJ and MT techniques. The 1992 edition is FM 21-150, not FM 3-25.150.

If there is a version of the Modern Army Combatives Manual newer than 18 JAN 2002, then its a secret :)

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you!

We don't have any kind of hand to hand combat in the Air Force. I spent 8 months deployed with the Army, plus 2 months of training with them. I was very surprised how much Martial Arts was incorporated into their combatives training.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great link, Thanks. I saved it in my favorites so I can refer back to it quicker.

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
Correction. This is the most current one available. This one includes the BJJ and MT techniques. The 1992 edition is FM 21-150, not FM 3-25.150.

If there is a version of the Modern Army Combatives Manual newer than 18 JAN 2002, then its a secret :)

Shoot! You're right, sorry! Great link.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not a problem, Flashlock! Your post made me go back and look at the 2002 manual, which lead me to look at the 1992 manual and ulitmately the June, 1954 manual. It was a great review. Now I need to get my hands on the 1971 edition that was superceded by the '92 one...updating manuals is such a pain!

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
I got confused because I own Greg Thompson's "H2H Combat"--I am not sure, but I think he is pictured demonstrating techniques in the 2002 Manual? Anyway, in my mind that became the new manual and was published in 2006--sort of a 2002.1 version. H2H is a great book, I must say, you'd love it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flashlock, Greg Thompsons H2H book is a something that is selling commercially and not the offical army manual! I can see where you would become confused by it though. The wording in it makes it look like an army manual but it is definately not. What I would like to see in the army's field manual for combatives is for them to rework the empty hand defense vs. the knife. They basically just took the old version's knife defenses and put them in the new manual. Alot of work still needs to be done in this regard to bring it up to date.

Great thread MBuzzy!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions