Are you a natural puncher or counterpuncher?

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I am a counter attacker. I was attacked in my front yard last night so that pretty much sums it up.

Wow, matt.m. Sorry to hear that. Everyone OK (except him)? I know you can handle things, but it's always ugly to get some fool's chaotic life shoved in your face. All the very best from me and my family to you and yours. ~kidswarrior/Mark

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In most fights...who hits first has the advantage and the momentum on their side. The hitter knows when the fight starts...the other person can only guess and hopefully not to surprise.

Most of us in the martial arts are taught not to fight, but avoidance. So we tend not to strike first.

We must trust our instincts on the decision to hit first or be ready to counter. NO two situtuons will be the same.

The sucker punch is a first strike...and we all know how effective this is!

Yes, all true!

We must also deal with laws of the government. (which tends to help the bad guys more).

An average of 26,000 Americans die each year from stupid fights..sometimes just pushing a person down only to have them hit their head on the curb and die...it is that easy to kill someone!

Best to avoid

Great points, and fantastic summary, still learning: Best to avoid, if possible. :)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know this is a boxing term, but you know what I mean. If you believe physical confrontation is probably imminent, do you try to strike first, or do you like to wait and counterstrike to the opening?
As a JKD influenced person, I recognize and utilize the attack on preparation or pre-emptive strike when I feel I can commit to it. However, there are going to be those 'tentative' moments of uncertainty. Then, I'll very likely use a faint and counter, or series of feints, until I see an opening that I can commit to. All I know for sure is that my preference is not to be hit first, nor to be countered...

It's really tough for me to classify myself as one or the other as a 'natural', though, as my response will be dictated by the circumstance. It may not be the right response, but it will nonetheless be dictated by the circumstance.

Come to think of it, my real world experiences all have me striking first when I sensed the danger. Of course, in the spar, I find I'm much more relaxed as the 'danger' level is far lower. The risk of me being killed in the spar is much lower....

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a JKD influenced person, I recognize and utilize the attack on preparation or pre-emptive strike when I feel I can commit to it. However, there are going to be those 'tentative' moments of uncertainty. Then, I'll very likely use a faint and counter, or series of feints, until I see an opening that I can commit to. All I know for sure is that my preference is not to be hit first, nor to be countered...

It's really tough for me to classify myself as one or the other as a 'natural', though, as my response will be dictated by the circumstance. It may not be the right response, but it will nonetheless be dictated by the circumstance.

Come to think of it, my real world experiences all have me striking first when I sensed the danger. Of course, in the spar, I find I'm much more relaxed as the 'danger' level is far lower. The risk of me being killed in the spar is much lower....

This is interesting, Flatlander. While I've admired JKD from afar, don't really know the intricacies. But in reading your thought/response process, I can see that both/and makes sense. Never really thought of it that way before. Good post! :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not sure why anyone would want to be a counter-puncher. With my strategy with punching it will be rather difficult to punch on your heels, peddling backwards. When I attack, I use a continuous series of punches to drive my opposition backwards. It makes it very difficult to counter when this is done. The only way I get any good counter shots is by side-stepping and I will not allow the other guy to do this. Just thought I would add this.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is a boxing term, but you know what I mean. If you believe physical confrontation is probably imminent, do you try to strike first, or do you like to wait and counterstrike to the opening?

To get the conversation going, maybe we could start with sparring. If you're sparring (or when you used to), do you go in trying to hit first, or wait to see what the other person will do and come back with a hard counter?

In sparring I've done both. There have been times when I've hung back a little and other times when I've opened up with some quick shots.

On the street, do you think you'd keep the same mindset, or would it change for you? If you've had experience using your MA (or even pre-MA) on the street, was it the same?

The street is different. After I've exhausted all other options, and a physical confrontation is likely, I'm not waiting for the other guy to throw the first hit. As soon as I see what I deem an aggressive move, I'm responding to that.

Mike

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Counter puncher all the way!Especially against other guys who like to kick alot!

This is an area of great interest to me, personally. Could you expound on it a little bit? Are you talking about high kicks or low kicks, or just any kick? What do yo like to counter with? Hand strikes, kicks of your own? And how do you evade his kick--just move, or block first (with hands or feet?), or something else?

My very first broken bone (kind of like a little guy in one of my classes this week who lost his first tooth :))in the asian arts was in my first week (lo, many, many...well, a long time ago). Art was hapkido, and I threw a boxing-style jab at this purple belt who countered wtih a thrust kick under it, right to my ribs. Good learning experince for me. So I'd love to know more about your thoughts, technique.

Thanks. ~KW

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only way I get any good counter shots is by side-stepping and I will not allow the other guy to do this.

What about a step drag back at a 45 degree (oblique) angle--not really sideways, not really back, but both. Woud this take him out of your range and set up a counter for him? The step drag might also be a forward step to the 45, where he goes to the side/behind you. I've found most street fighters only know straight forward and straight back? Have you ever run into this in your experience? If so, how do you handle it? If not, could you share what makes your technique maybe prevent him from doing this?

Just thought I would add this.

Glad you did. Really raised come good questions in my own thinking. Am looking forward to your thoughts when you get a chance. :)

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
In sparring I've done both. There have been times when I've hung back a little and other times when I've opened up with some quick shots.

Just tells me you'rea seasoned vet.

The street is different. After I've exhausted all other options, and a physical confrontation is likely, I'm not waiting for the other guy to throw the first hit. As soon as I see what I deem an aggressive move, I'm responding to that.

Mike

Ah, the voice of experience. :ultracool

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You can't telegraph it. You evade and counter after your opponent is commited in his attack. You can also counter and attack simultaneously its all about timeing, distance and a little bit of practice.

-Marc-

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kidswarrior, you are right. On the street almost nobody circles or does any latteral stepping. It is so much better to get them going backwards and then they are done.

On the 45 lateral step, if you get the jump on them they have little to no chance of setting their feet long enough to move in a lateral direction, but if you stop pressuring them they willhave the chance to move. I picked this concept up from football and then applied it to boxing in Golden Gloves before I put it into my other MA training. The key is getting the jump and not letting off of the pressure. All they can do in cover down and move back. You should always be prepared for that chance that they will be ably to move lateral. I always "encourage" them to move to the right side and then throw a little boot to boot sweep with a side kick. It works splendidly. Hope this is what you were looking for.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kidswarrior, you are right. On the street almost nobody circles or does any latteral stepping. It is so much better to get them going backwards and then they are done.

On the 45 lateral step, if you get the jump on them they have little to no chance of setting their feet long enough to move in a lateral direction.... Hope this is what you were looking for.

Yeah, this answers my question. Sounds like you're a very aggressive fighter! Thanks for the clarification, Searcher! :asian:

Latest Discussions