Are you a natural puncher or counterpuncher?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this is a boxing term, but you know what I mean. If you believe physical confrontation is probably imminent, do you try to strike first, or do you like to wait and counterstrike to the opening?

To get the conversation going, maybe we could start with sparring. If you're sparring (or when you used to), do you go in trying to hit first, or wait to see what the other person will do and come back with a hard counter?

On the street, do you think you'd keep the same mindset, or would it change for you? If you've had experience using your MA (or even pre-MA) on the street, was it the same?

I'd rather stay away from what we've been taught, or what we think others (like our instructors) want to hear, and find out what people really think. For example, one art I studied seriously and benefited from immensely preached strike first (as soon as he's in your personal space--about three feet), hard, and fast, and don't stop till he's down. That's not really my natural way, so I had to adjust it on the sly. That art is still foundational to my practice, but I don't teach that part of it quite as absolutely.

Special Note: In the event you think this dichotomy between puncher/counterpuncher is all wet: why? Was there a time earlier in your development when it did apply and you outgrew it? If so, can you tell us how? Or is there another, better way to look at it? Can you tell us why?

Looking forward to learning something. Thanks for contributing. :)

~kidswarrior

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Once I feel that conflict is imminent, i tend to want to act first.They say action is faster than reaction. In my younger days, i had a few situations where i let my instincts cause me to strike before i had to react. This was before Pres Bush popularized the preemptive strike. But each case was justified.

Now, in my private life, i am less and less in situations where i might have to deal with violence. At work,it happens on a regular basis. Im still of the mindset that when action is needed, go ahead and do it. That being said, i tend to be able to resolve 99% of encounters with words or a level of force that falls below what my department deems an actual use of force.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once I feel that conflict is imminent, i tend to want to act first. But each case was justified.

Yes, an important point.

Now, in my private life, i am less and less in situations where i might have to deal with violence. At work,it happens on a regular basis. Im still of the mindset that when action is needed, go ahead and do it. That being said, i tend to be able to resolve 99% of encounters with words or a level of force that falls below what my department deems an actual use of force.

I think that's a sign we've matured in the arts--peaceful resolution.

Good response, thanks.
--kidswarrior

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I spose I'm a pre-emptive counterer :). I tend to favor the pre-emptive strike, but only after I've exhausted verbal and HaulBuns options.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I perfer to counter. If I am in a street encounter I have no idea who or what experience I am dealing with. I perfer to look for the opening left by the person who throws the punch. That said I have no problem throwing the first punch either as a way to have him open up and expose a weak area. This is why I like to throw jabs as my first strike. In counter punching I might not throw a jab but a stronger punch like a hook or use another means of striking.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
In a real world threatening situation when reasoning fails, the preemptive attack is the way to go.:uzi:

Sparring is another ballgame. When I was younger and newer to MA I was more of a puncher all offense and little defense. The more I trained (and aged), I became more of a defensive fighter as I discovered real quickly that there are many people who were stronger and faster than me and that without a proper defense I was toast. I learned what I could do effectively and now fight my kind of fight.

The older and slower I get the more countering I do.:wink1:

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I perfer to counter. If I am in a street encounter I have no idea who or what experience I am dealing with.

Kinda how i am, too :)

This is why I like to throw jabs as my first strike. In counter punching I might not throw a jab but a stronger punch like a hook or use another means of striking.

Yeah, I'll always love the jab when it comes down to the wire (only punch that's good if it hits or not!)

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a real world threatening situation when reasoning fails, the preemptive attack is the way to go.:uzi:

Sparring is another ballgame. When I was younger and newer to MA I was more of a puncher all offense and little defense. The more I trained (and aged), I became more of a defensive fighter as I discovered real quickly that there are many people who were stronger and faster than me and that without a proper defense I was toast. I learned what I could do effectively and now fight my kind of fight.

Words of wisdom. :)

The older and slower I get the more countering I do.:wink1:

But the smarter you are when you do it! :ultracool

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
im a natural counter puncher i tend to have good head movement so its easier for me to slip a punch and then throw a couple of mine.

A very good example of a counter puncher would be chuck Liddell ( for ufc fans)..also if your a a counter puncher you should learn how to be a good radar fighter aswel since the two styles compliment each other well.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
im a natural counter puncher i tend to have good head movement so its easier for me to slip a punch and then throw a couple of mine.

A very good example of a counter puncher would be chuck Liddell ( for ufc fans)..also if your a a counter puncher you should learn how to be a good radar fighter aswel since the two styles compliment each other well.

That's me, too. Amazing how many posters have said they are counterpunchers. I wouldn't have guessed this.

And how does Liddell throw that looping overhand right almost simultaneosly with a high roundhouse left kick? I'd be on my back! :uhyeah: Good example, tho. :wink1:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both.

My natural inclination is to ATTACK.

But then, sometimes I just relax and take the easier route and counterfight, which almost makes things "all too easy."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true. But if I can play devil's advocate for a minute.:mst: Could this cause me legal problems later? :)
Yes.

If you can't articulate why you're punching someone -- you're assaulting them. You need to be able to explain why YOU were in imminent danger of being assaulted (in a way that would convince someone who wasn't there!), and so you had to strike first to prevent injury to yourself.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I am a counter attacker. I was attacked in my front yard last night so that pretty much sums it up.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a puncher. It took me several hard months to learn the fine art of countering. Once I got it down I still tend to strike first. I counter if the chance arises, but I find that if I strike first it makes me much less bruised the next day.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In most fights...who hits first has the advantage and the momentum on their side. The hitter knows when the fight starts...the other person can only guess and hopefully not to surprise.

Most of us in the martial arts are taught not to fight, but avoidance. So we tend not to strike first.

We must trust our instincts on the decision to hit first or be ready to counter. NO two situtuons will be the same.

The sucker punch is a first strike...and we all know how effective this is!

Adrenline factor is something we must also deal with...it limits your thinking, pulse is up,breathing is up, getting ready to FIGHT OR FLEE...

Remember this is NO rules in a street fight...just survival.

We must also deal with laws of the government. (which tends to help the bad guys more).
============================
An average of 26,000 Americans die each year from stupid fights..sometimes just pushing a person down only to have them hit their head on the curb and die...it is that easy to kill someone!

=====================================

Best to avoid read: "VERBAL JUDO" the Kona police officers are require to read and study this book. ...............Aloha

PS: Simile...sometimes this helps! ....than strike them?

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both.

My natural inclination is to ATTACK.

But then, sometimes I just relax and take the easier route and counterfight, which almost makes things "all too easy."

Remind me to call you 'Sir' from now on. :boing2:

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes.

If you can't articulate why you're punching someone -- you're assaulting them. You need to be able to explain why YOU were in imminent danger of being assaulted (in a way that would convince someone who wasn't there!), and so you had to strike first to prevent injury to yourself.

Great answer, jks. Thanks for that very clear articulation. :ultracool