Are women disadvantaged in striking arts/styles?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thatever
Calm down, Tez. You don't accept any measure of responsibility. I disagree.
And also, is it possible that you could cut others some slack for their "economy of words?" I don't observe you giving others the same consideration you demand for yourself.
What happens in your life Steve, that every few weeks you feel the need to have a go at me? You decide what mood I'm in, what I mean when I write something, you criticise everything I say or do. This is a pattern and the threads turn into you making personal attacks on me. It's boring now it's been going on for a long while. I took you off ignore when I came back, I regret that so guess you will have to shimfph about me behind my back, I was 61 last week why should I care if I broke the nose of a soldier last year who was a third my age, twice my size and weight, even by accident.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
thatever
What happens in your life Steve, that every few weeks you feel the need to have a go at me? You decide what mood I'm in, what I mean when I write something, you criticise everything I say or do. This is a pattern and the threads turn into you making personal attacks on me. It's boring now it's been going on for a long while. I took you off ignore when I came back, I regret that so guess you will have to shimfph about me behind my back, I was 61 last week why should I care if I broke the nose of a soldier last year who was a third my age, twice my size and weight, even by accident.

I'm sorry you feel I'm having a go at you, tez. Does "having a go" mean disagreeing with you? If so, then, what happens every few weeks is you say something I disagree with.

I honestly think you like to have a go at the new posters, and hold others to a higher standard for clarity in their writing than you are able to meet yourself.

Regarding the arrogant idiot, I still maintain that if you injured him, you bear some measure of responsibility. It's a class, not self defense. You were the more experienced and more skilled martial artist. It's on you. Doesn't mean you meant to do it. Doesn't mean you're a bad person. But you should accept the responsibility for it happening. That's my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry you feel I'm having a go at you, tez. Does "having a go" mean disagreeing with you? If so, then, what happens every few weeks is you say something I disagree with.

I honestly think you like to have a go at the new posters, and hold others to a higher standard for clarity in their writing than you are able to meet yourself.

Regarding the arrogant idiot, I still maintain that if you injured him, you bear some measure of responsibility. It's a class, not self defense. You were the more experienced and more skilled martial artist. It's on you. Doesn't mean you meant to do it. Doesn't mean you're a bad person. But you should accept the responsibility for it happening. That's my opinion.

If he was owed anything, it was a big punch in the nose. It was her responsibility to pay that respect. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If he was owed anything, it was a big punch in the nose. It was her responsibility to pay that respect. :)

Fair enough. But you're now implying she did it on purpose. She insists she did not.

As to whether it was her responsibility to do it, I disagree. I think it was her responsibility to keep everyone safe.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I doesn't matter what her intent was, I have my doubts (LOL); the bottom line is that he should learn to protect his face. He was in the wrong.
Sean

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I doesn't matter what her intent was, I have my doubts (LOL); the bottom line is that he should learn to protect his face. He was in the wrong.
Sean

I disagree. Intent matters very much, IMO.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
She taught him a lesson. I'm quite sure she knew it would hurt, but she wasn't trying to disfigure him. I am still on her side. He should have thanked her.
I understand. Even were it an accident, I would say she's still responsible as an instructor and more skilled practitioner. But if she intended to "teach him a lesson" it's all on her. That's ego run amok.

But I can see how you believe otherwise. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand. Even were it an accident, I would say she's still responsible as an instructor and more skilled practitioner. But if she intended to "teach him a lesson" it's all on her. That's ego run amok.

But I can see how you believe otherwise. :)

She said it wasn't intentionally done get off her back your getting a little silly with this now. You made your point.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
She said it wasn't intentionally done get off her back your getting a little silly with this now. You made your point.

I believe her. Touch of death was suggesting that she was teaching the guy a lesson.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, going back to the OP, it would seem someone believes that a small woman can easily beat up a larger, heavier, younger and fitter man. Even with years of experience and a punch that is the norm for such an experienced woman if the guy had been defending and attacking I would still have beaten him? No I wouldn't, absolutely not. I should not have expected to touch him even if he wasn't defending he can still move his body, no one just moves around a bit, you can move your head for a start. Like adults do when kids are throwing punches. whatever people think, if I had intended to hurt him, if I had lost my temper I would have faced being badly hurt if he's decided to fight, he was an army boxer.Think on that.
From a self defence point of view if it's at all humanly possible I would not get into a fight with a man, it's about distraction and getting away. The worse scenario for me is to get caught up in fighting, it is for women, if all else fails we'd have to fight and bring every technique and every dirty trick we have but yes men are on the whole stronger. There's no getting around that fact but there is a lot that we can do, 'headology' to use a Sir Terry Pratchettism for a start. Flinching or freezing when hit has to be stopped, you can learn that. Sparring with willing partners of different sizes, learn all the techniques you can absorb, do all the 'awareness' learning you can etc etc.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So, going back to the OP, it would seem someone believes that a small woman can easily beat up a larger, heavier, younger and fitter man. Even with years of experience and a punch that is the norm for such an experienced woman if the guy had been defending and attacking I would still have beaten him? No I wouldn't, absolutely not. I should not have expected to touch him even if he wasn't defending he can still move his body, no one just moves around a bit, you can move your head for a start. Like adults do when kids are throwing punches. whatever people think, if I had intended to hurt him, if I had lost my temper I would have faced being badly hurt if he's decided to fight, he was an army boxer.Think on that.
From a self defence point of view if it's at all humanly possible I would not get into a fight with a man, it's about distraction and getting away. The worse scenario for me is to get caught up in fighting, it is for women, if all else fails we'd have to fight and bring every technique and every dirty trick we have but yes men are on the whole stronger. There's no getting around that fact but there is a lot that we can do, 'headology' to use a Sir Terry Pratchettism for a start. Flinching or freezing when hit has to be stopped, you can learn that. Sparring with willing partners of different sizes, learn all the techniques you can absorb, do all the 'awareness' learning you can etc etc.
Could you link to the post where someone asserts that a woman can easily beat up a larger, heavier, younger and fitter man? I must have missed it, and it will really help me better understand your post.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear A, please understand that I am not in the least outraged so cannot 'disengage', I'm more amused and a little bored by something that has become a pattern. Understand too that I don't actually care what your silly little 'bad rep' says, it just made me laugh that someone would waste their time on me. Like what I write or don't, it's the internet. Making anonymous comments is brave, put your name on them roflmao. :moon:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe you missed this Steve.
Thanks, Cirdan. I saw it. I think it's a shame that she can't handle someone disagreeing with her.

I'm not ignoring her, though, and if she raises a question, I'll continue to respond. What posts she chooses to read and respond to is completely up to her. :)

My question in response to her remains out there. I think she might have created a straw man. Do you think anyone here as asserted that "a woman can easily beat up a larger, heavier, younger and fitter man?" I'm thinking not, but my memory fails me sometimes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Dear A, please understand that I am not in the least outraged so cannot 'disengage', I'm more amused and a little bored by something that has become a pattern. Understand too that I don't actually care what your silly little 'bad rep' says, it just made me laugh that someone would waste their time on me. Like what I write or don't, it's the internet. Making anonymous comments is brave, put your name on them roflmao. :moon:
For what it's worth, I'll put my name on any rep I leave, positive or negative.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Eh, it's one of the differences between grappling and striking arts. In grappling, we have a lot more precise control we can apply on arrogant idiots. In striking, if someone refuses to keep their guard up in sparring because they don't respect their partner then they're just going to get hit. As long as the guy was an adult and Tez wasn't going harder then the expected standard for that class, then I have no problem with it.
Thanks, Tony. I hear you, and understand the difference. I'm not sure I completely agree, but that's okay.

I was actually making two points. The more subtle point is that Tez was upset that I didn't immediately understand her post, even though she admits to "an economy of words." I am suggesting that she offer the same consideration to tonyjw86, whom I believe she misunderstood. At the very least, he should be asked to clarify before being pounced on.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, Tony. I hear you, and understand the difference. I'm not sure I completely agree, but that's okay.

I was actually making two points. The more subtle point is that Tez was upset that I didn't immediately understand her post, even though she admits to "an economy of words." I am suggesting that she offer the same consideration to tonyjw86, whom I believe she misunderstood. At the very least, he should be asked to clarify before being pounced on.
Seems your the only one that misunderstood TEZ and you appear to be the only one that understands tonyjw. You decided with no evidence that Tez got pissed and purposely broke someone's nose and you believe Tony isn't a sexist pig so

Latest Discussions