Are these goals really attainable for the average Joe?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he said it was about having your strongest, most accurate weapons closest to the target.
Indeed.

I believe that if you're training twice a week, and you continue to work on things in your spare time, such as shadow boxing, stretching, hitting the bag or mook jong or whatever you have around, you can get to where you want to be. However, your aptitude for learning, and your athleticism will factor into how long it will take until you're satisfied with your progress. Ultimately, I think that it's important to remember that you'll never progress if you give up. Because you're kind of "stuck" with the schedule that you have with regards to how much time you can commit, you need to accept that and continue to train as you can.

I don't want to come off as arrogant or appear egotistical, but I am satisfied with my progression, and I train very little these days. I think that speaks to what another poster said regarding what you want to get out of your training. I wouldn't perhaps win any competitive championships, but I'm comfortable with my ability to handle my own should I ever be called upon to do so, using the skills that I have been taught in the way I've been taught.

Aside from that, I don't understand how the art specific details should change one's ability to learn them - whether you're trying to improve your JKD, trying to improve your boxing, or your TKD, or whatever. You'll progress at the same rate if you put the same amount of time and effort into it. I don't think that the strong side forward and interception focus influences any of that. Why would it?

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
But will that 18 year old kid understand the material better than the 40 year old person. When I was 19, I started Kenpo. I trained for a few years, then was away for a long time. I recently re-started about a year ago, in the same system. I now understand things better at 34, than I did at 19. I guess there is something to that whole age and wisdom thing afterall. LOL! I just wish I could heal as fast as I did when I was 19! Damn elbows.

Probably not in as much debth as us old farts, but a lot more than the 10-15 yr old range. IME, the youngsters do not have the same amount of evil in them as the adults. Ie...we have no inhibitions about useing the nastiest or dirtiest maiming techniques to end it quick. At our age its a different ballgame. The young guys dont have as much world experience and tend to not be as viscious.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Strong side forward, easy enough. But to me it's much easier to block a punch than to intercept it.

I would actually go so far as to contend there is no such thing as a block. Or rather, that the mechanics of a block are not only vastly different from those of a parry or deflection, but also different than many people imagine when they use the term.

A parry is where the incoming blow is diverted.

A block is where the blow is absorbed by the recipient.

Now, the purpose of a strike or blow is to deliver force to the target. When you block a strike, you are still taking all (or at least most) of the force. You're just choosing the target, rather than the attacker. Obviously some parts of the body are more resistant to force than others (such as the forearms or shoulders as opposed to the jaw or neck) but the end result is that by blocking an incoming strike, you still have to absorb that energy, and in some cases it simply isn't feasable. There is no way Bruce Lee could have blocked a strike from George Foreman, or even a guy swinging a crowbar. You have to deflect/parry something like that.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In many boxing matches and other street fights....it is not always the stronger hand or kicks that takes someone down and out.

One police officer only uses a slap to knockout the bad guys for 20 years..(retired and he share his story).

How many of you got hit in training from someone less stronger side? or less powerful hits, but almost got knock-out.

You cannot always depend on your best hit/kicks or stronger side. Ever got hit with a spinning fist? ...hurts yea!

....Just keep training...the whole idea is awareness,humbleness, and NEVER ever get into a fight! Prepareness is enough to live a longer time...Aloha

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But to me it's much easier to block a punch than to intercept it.
Just building on Adept's post there, let's replace block with parry. You indicate that you believe that it's easier to parry a strike than to intercept it. I disagree. It's merely a more conservative strategy. An intercept is, by nature, a more aggressive strategy. That doesn't make it more difficult, it just makes it riskier. However, I believe that if you have enough skill to duck, weave, and parry, and enough skill to apply your line to the target, you can intercept. You just need feel out the line. More drilling should help with that.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First you parry only if you have to hit any time you can. Parry to intercept Such as lin si lin di dar. But Any person in a fight will get hit how often depends on your skill. Strong side forward puts your strongest hitting tools closer to the target. That makes them a faster delivery and perhaps a better chance to intercept/ stop hit. You never know how a fight will go. But as you train you bring your level of skill to deal with the different option to a higher level. As an adult Sometimes a stronger understanding will give more leverage then a 18 year old would have. In anything its how much you put into it as to how you become better. 2 3 times a week improves you. Now you can do your home work and improve much more A person learning should find time each day to get at least a small work out in. You have to get your mucsle responce training in tune More mind and body training. Then the tools start working. After you may not need to train as hard But will be slightly rusty but still decent on delivery. Its been shown nowdays Age times skill can still get the job done. As for JKD You think hit hit The more any person blocks the more they will get hit. Blocks just slow down how often you get hit But you can hit if you can block. And remember a slip gives way for an entry to hit. JKD is not so much a defencesive art as it is offencesive But You will do both in a fight just think of the fast gun idea the person goes to hit you hit back faster so your tool lands first. Its not easy as it sounds as you have to build your skill level HOW much do you want it ask yourself that want it enough you will get much better if not well you will just make do.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
cfr: You described some of the features of JKD, but you really didn't articulate what your personal goals are. If your goal is to be a world class professional competitive fighter, then obviously, you'd need to train harder and more frequently. But if your goal is to be a skilled, dedicated amateur (like most of us) then what you'll need to do is train consistently--even if it's only a few times a week--with an eye to the long term and an appreciation for the process, not some arbitrary endpoint. Judge your progress over years, not from week to week or month to month. Sure, you'll get good.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr: You described some of the features of JKD, but you really didn't articulate what your personal goals are. If your goal is to be a world class professional competitive fighter, then obviously, you'd need to train harder and more frequently. But if your goal is to be a skilled, dedicated amateur...

Im too old, fat, and injured for number 1. I definately fall into the number 2 category.
:boing2:

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
anything is attainable. and everything is possible. it's just a matter other whether or not it is probable. your's is very probable.

Latest Discussions