I may have started cross training too soon.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
We've all seen the posts "How long until I shoud cross train" and the like. The answer is typically "Once you have a good base". Well, I think I may have jumped the gun a wee bit. I train in 2 different garages. JKD in one. The other is closer to MMA. The goal for all of us when I started was that the two instructors would train in each others garages fairly often, and we could all train everything. But that never materialized.

Now here is where the dilema comes in. The MMA guy teaches to bob/ weave/ counter. Anyone who has ever done JKD will tell you that the focus should be intercept/ beat them to the punch/ always move forward. Im having problems in sparring suddenly, and think this is the reason why. Very different schools of thought here. If all I ever did at the MMA garage was ground training, then it would be a perfect supplement. But of course, thats not the deal.

Now the other dilema. Neither of these guys are merely instructors, they are both much closer to being friends. Neither asks for a dime for their instruction, just that I show up and work hard.

I know that nobody can make a decision for me, but I would like your thoughts.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How much experience do you have with MMA and JKD? If you feel you are too confused with studying both, why not focus on one for a while until you are more established before adding the other?

Or is this your actual question: How to better integrate the training of two styles?

- Ceicei

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
How much experience do you have with MMA and JKD? If you feel you are too confused with studying both, why not focus on one for a while until you are more established before adding the other?

Or is this your actual question: How to better integrate the training of two styles?

- Ceicei

I havent been in either style long enough to be doing both. But when we first started training together, it was going to be all of us pretty regularly. The goal was for the instructors to integrate all the concepts. Life happens, and it didnt work out quite as planned. But by then I was already going to both places.

jeff5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
JKD has a lot of boxing techinques just like you described in your MMA class. I don't see why the two can't co-exist. Using the techinques from JKD will make your sparring that much more effective. It just may take a bit of time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if you feel you jumped the gun then you need to decide which one is giving you want you want at this time and just do it for now.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now here is where the dilema comes in. The MMA guy teaches to bob/ weave/ counter. Anyone who has ever done JKD will tell you that the focus should be intercept/ beat them to the punch/ always move forward. Im having problems in sparring suddenly, and think this is the reason why.

Heh, I get it! Where I study JKD we do both bobbing/weaving and intercepting, but with a clear focus on the latter. Indeed, I think you need one approach or the other as your basic plan. Yet, I also think the two approaches work well together.

Try intercepting in your MMA practice matches. If bobbing/weaving/ducking works better than intercepting for you...go that way. Of course, it takes a while to get the timing for either approach.

You'll have to decide which is your primary art, I'm afraid. But I don't think you need to drop either. Do it each instructor's way at his school...but on your own time, train what works for you.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, I get it! Where I study JKD we do both bobbing/weaving and intercepting, but with a clear focus on the latter. Indeed, I think you need one approach or the other as your basic plan. Yet, I also think the two approaches work well together.

Try intercepting in your MMA practice matches. If bobbing/weaving/ducking works better than intercepting for you...go that way. Of course, it takes a while to get the timing for either approach.

You'll have to decide which is your primary art, I'm afraid. But I don't think you need to drop either. Do it each instructor's way at his school...but on your own time, train what works for you.

I would suggest along the same line of Arnisador. Since it is early in your training in both systems then you are bound to have some difficulty in making everything work. Just take your time and keep training and eventually your body will get used to both. JKD and MMA are very similar in alot of ways so it should not be that hard to train in both.

For myself I teach Bobbing, Weaving, Cover Parries, Intercepting, Limb Destructions and so on and the learning curve at first is hard but once your body gets used to it then it is not a problem at all. Good luck in your training.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Im going to go with what Brian and Arnisador suggested. Makes sense and Im really not in all that big of a rush.

Thanks guys.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking for myself I put a solid year in Shorin-Ryu before venturing into other systems...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If things get confusing, just step back for a bit. There's no reason why both systems can't co-exist, and it's just a matter of becoming so familiar with one method, that you can do things at an unconscious level.

Once you've attained this level of proficiency, then resume your cross training. It's much easier to incorporate things this way, since you've already had some training.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The MMA guy teaches to bob/ weave/ counter. Anyone who has ever done JKD will tell you that the focus should be intercept/ beat them to the punch/ always move forward.

Actually, I think you're wrong. The focus in both cases should be whatever works best for you.

Try both methods, and really give them a go. You'll find one way or the other (or a mix of both) works best for you. Stick with that method. You may get some funny looks from one or the other instructor, but when you can demonstrate that your particular blend is more effective for you, then the results should speak for themselves.

Latest Discussions