Are there people you won't teach?

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, outside of the movies, people do not go to martial arts studios to gain skills for the use of commiting crimes.
Joab: citation needed

I think you would find the percentage of serial rapists, muggers, and robbers who learned a deadly martial art and then used it to commit crimes or engage in a nebulous 'illegal activity' to be very, very low.

Joab: I would like a statistical read out for this little piece of pontification on your part. Sorry Daniel, your going to have to do better than just state arbitrarily as facts things that you have no evidence for at all for me to buy it.

The MA of choice for most criminals is gun-fu, not gung fu.

Daniel

Joab: Daniel, not all systems merely teach hand to hand combat. The system I am referring to teaches modern weapons, and the teacher has written a gun column for years and books on point shooting. He is an expert with the knife, stick you name it really. Granted, he no longer teaches point shooting, and granted, he doesn't teach the really nasty techniques to everyone and the modern weapons to everyone, which is the point, he is selective. And there have been the small number of flakes and misfits who tried to enter his school and were either not allowed to enter or kicked out after entering. The hand to hand is rather brutal, nasty stuff that has been taught to British Commandoes and the OSS in World War II.

That said, you are likely right that typically the nut case and criminal will just go out and buy a gun, but it only takes one to cause a lot of damage. And in this age of terrorism, there is the real danger of training the wrong person.

oldmusic6080

White Belt
Reaction score
I have never taught, but if I did my motive would be from my heart to help the weak protect themselves and to prevent victimization.

I just watched "Dragon, The Bruce Lee Story" again and recall that the Chinese elders/masters were afraid Bruce would share their culture's secrets with outsiders. Because I am caucasian, I was prompty asked to leave when I set foot in a Chinese dojo in San Diego twenty years ago.

I personally think that most with ill will would seek fast and easy and not have the dedication or the self-discipline to stick around long enough to be that skilled.

The people that abused me weren't masters in some mystical art. In first grade, the bullies that punched me in the stomach and picked me up by the hands and feet and threw me down a steep hill were not masters. In fourth grade, the bullies that split my lip, collapsed the tent with me inside unable to see, breathe, and almost not find my way out while I endured kicks were not masters. My mother's ex-husband who broke the furniture, my sister's crib, my toys, etc. in fits of rage and terrorized us wasn't a master. These people were all deemed to be upstanding citizen's: a cub scout, a church altar boy, a friendly family-man and real estate agent.

I hold no grudges, and those incidents are all but vague memories.

We must use our best judgement because we can't know another's heart or thoughts. Maybe life isn't always a beach. But it's always a risk.

What I learned through my experiences and training is that I can endure, and even if I don't win, I can survive. Training to me is about knowing I can take anything and everything you can dish out.

God bless you

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Daniel, not all systems merely teach hand to hand combat. The system I am referring to teaches modern weapons, and the teacher has written a gun column for years and books on point shooting. He is an expert with the knife, stick you name it really. Granted, he no longer teaches point shooting, and granted, he doesn't teach the really nasty techniques to everyone and the modern weapons to everyone, which is the point, he is selective. And there have been the small number of flakes and misfits who tried to enter his school and were either not allowed to enter or kicked out after entering. The hand to hand is rather brutal, nasty stuff that has been taught to British Commandoes and the OSS in World War II.

That said, you are likely right that typically the nut case and criminal will just go out and buy a gun, but it only takes one to cause a lot of damage. And in this age of terrorism, there is the real danger of training the wrong person.
Joab,

I appreciate your clarification. It does eliminate my earlier comment about teh deadly, as firearms do tend to be just that. Essentially, he is teaching advanced firearm training and military training. Which reinforces my opinion that a background check would be more effective than a contract. Though in this case, I can definitely see where such training misused could come back to haunt him legally.

That said, it seems that he is training with them in unarmed/hand to hand material for some time and getting to know them well before moving on to firearms, which is likely very effective in weeding out the stealth nuts.

Daniel

Latest Discussions