Understanding Instructor Immaturity

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the years I have studied the martial arts I've had the privilege of working with some truly talented instructors. In my capacity as as publisher of The Martialist, I've had the opportuntiy to meet and to interact with many more teachers and their students. Several of these men and women are people for whom I have great respect to this day. My experiences in the martial arts have been overwhelmingly positive. I have, however, also encountered some instructors and their students who suffered from serious character flaws.

The most common problem instructors face is, in my opinion, that of immaturity. The reason this flaw is so common is because all teachers suffer from it to some degree when they start. Everyone begins somewhere; no teacher springs to life from the forehead of another, fully formed and experienced. All teachers go through a learning process every bit as important, if not more so, than they did as students. To learn a skill and to impart it cogently to others are not the same thing. I have known less-than-gifted technicians who were very good at explaining to others how to do something correctly; I have known masters of the martial arts (that is my term, not theirs) who were terrible at teaching others; I have known competent teachers who had natural (and learned) skill in the craft of teaching, sometimes across multiple fields of endeavor. What all of them had in common was that they weren't as capable, as mature, or as confident as teachers when they started as when they'd been at it for several years.

Instructor maturity is not, however, primarily a function of hours logged in the dojo or kwoon. It is as much, if not more, a symptom of the instructor's personality. Some instructors, no matter how many years they spend teaching, will always be immature compared to others. There is no single, quantifiable scale against which to judge your instructor's maturity, but there are some warning signs of which you should be aware. If your instructor exhibits many of these symptoms, it might be time to consider finding another teacher. This can be quite difficult, because many of us venerate and respect our instructors, willingly overlooking their flaws. Our teachers are, after all, only human. While this is only too true, you cannot afford to suspend your process of critical thought where your martial education is concerned. To do so is to risk your own health, well-being, finances, and preparation for the future.

Warning Signs of Instructor Immaturity

• Your Instructor Needs to Be The Toughest Guy in the Room. If your instructor cannot watch a group of students engage in a drill without getting in on that drill himself -- particularly if he has a reputation for beating hard on students when he does so -- it's because he needs to remind himself (and those watching and participating) that he's still tougher and better than his students. Students are often in awe of the skill level of their instructor and may excuse physical abuse on the grounds that the teacher is simply that much better (and thus doesn't mean to harm his students). Worse, such an instructor may justify physical abuse by saying that students need to know "what it feels like." Simply put, if your instructor is arrogant rather than humble -- and particularly if he compares himself favorably to others, puts down students' skills, or otherwise demeans his peers -- he's immature.

• Your Instructor Pays Lip-service to "Respect" For Other Styles But Bashes Them and Their Practitioners. A teacher's immaturity is often expressed as a feeling of smug superiority where his style, his school, or his students are concerned. Anyone who chooses not to train with him is misguided, misinformed, or stupid. Any style that is not his own is inferior. Many immature instructors, because they understand how bashing other schools and styles sounds, will state officially that they have nothing but respect for other styles. They may even institute rules telling their students that members of the dojo, kwoon, or club are not to speak ill of other martial arts and practitioners. They will do this, however, while occasionally letting slip their true feelings, denigrating other programs and pupils to varying degrees of severity. This is a pattern of behavior that is not always immediately apparent. It sometimes takes a while for it to emerge fully and obviously to the student, especially if he or she is lulled by the instructors' contrary (but insincere) statements of tolerance.

• Your Instructor is Offended or Threatened by the Work of Others. An immature teacher will react noticeably and obviously to articles, books, instructors, programs, and styles with which he disagrees. Hey may get so angry that he writes material to refute what has offended him, be these statements of general policy or formal rebuttals of someone else's essay or editorial. He may go out of his way to make it publicly known that he does not approve of the work, personality, or style in question. The key to differentiating this reaction from the emotions most reasonable people would experience when confronted with opposing opinions is the degree to which the instructor becomes irate.

• Your Instructor Encourages Students to Accept Challenges From Other Schools' Practitioners. There are a lot of instructors out there who still see the martial arts as some sort of Bruce Lee movie or Sonny Chiba film festival. A lot of instructors who adhere to this "old school" philosophy of the arts believe that dojos and kwoons should still be policing themselves by gate crashing each others' premises and engaging in duels. Still others don't go out of their way to look for trouble, but believe when a challenge is offered (particularly on their own turf) that it should be accepted to prove the interloper a lesson and vindicate their claims and beliefs regarding the efficacy of their teaching. Challenge matches are stupid, immature, and potentially quite dangerous, particularly in our litigious society. Any instructor who would even entertain the idea of accepting such a challenge (or who would encourage a pupil to accept such a challenge) from a hostile party is a danger to himself and his students.

• Your Instructor "Has a Temper." If your instructor is a hothead -- easily angered and perhaps even known for his temper -- he is not mature. Maturity in the martial arts brings with it an even-tempered nature that is evident in all good teachers to varying degrees. An instructor who cannot master his anger -- or, worse, an instructor who takes out his bad moods on his students through verbal or physical abuse -- has much to learn. He also has much to master about himself.

• Your Instructor Regularly Makes a Fool of Himself Online. If your instructor acts like a troll on the Web, can't express himself well, or otherwise makes more enemies than he needs to make, some aspect of him is immature. There are a lot of gifted instructors out there who just can't cope with the nature of online discourse, so this isn't a definitive warning sign. If your instructor behaves in ways that make you ashamed to stick up for him, however -- or if you find yourself apologizing for him all the time -- there's a problem and you both know it.

• Your Instructor Flirts with Students. If your instructor is careful not to behave inappropriately with students of the opposite (or the same) sex but nevertheless flirts with students to whom he or she is attracted, that is an aspect of immaturity. Many male teachers never overcome this tendency.

• Your Instructor Doesn't Obey His Own Rules. If your instructor regularly sets rules for his students but is far less than perfect in demonstrating adherence to those rules, he's immature. It doesn't matter what the rules are (though I'm thinking here in terms of general conduct in the dojo or kwoon). If your teacher lives by the motto, "Do as I say, not as I do," he's got some growing up to do.

This list is by no means complete. There are many other facets of immaturity we could chronicle in compiling a list of symptoms. If I've managed to state my case lucidly, reading this list should give you a general feel for the personality and demeanor of someone who may be a talented martial artist -- but who might not be the most mature teacher you've met.

A mature instructor knows what he knows -- and he knows that he knows it. He is not concerned with what others are doing; he is only concerned with his own productive pursuits. He is humble, but not too modest. He is calm, friendly, and professional in his dealings with others -- even those with whom he disagrees. He speaks ill of no one without great provocation and speaks only reluctantly when he must be negative. He never denigrates a former or current student. He is as susceptible to accidents as any other teacher, but he is genuinely upset when a student is injured and strives to protect his students from physical harm in the course of training. Above all, he is patient and encouraging in that way that only a truly learned, truly mature teacher can be. A mature instructor has nothing to prove to anyone, doesn't care what others think of him, and doesn't waste his time with those who seek to challenge him. A mature instructor is someone in whom a student can place absolute trust.

To be an immature teacher is not necessarily to be a bad teacher. There are a great many instructors active in the martial arts and self-defense community who have much to learn about the craft of teaching -- and about themselves. Most of them will learn these things in time. They will look back with chagrine on the attitudes of their youth and they will do what they can to help other students and fellow teachers. Simply because your teacher exhibits one or two of the symptoms here does not mean you should drop him, abandon your school, and go in search of a wrinkled and Yoda-like exemplar of ancient wisdom and equanimity. If your teacher exhibits many of these signs, however -- or if he exhibits any one of them to an extreme degree -- please do reconsider what you are doing and where you are studying. You owe it to yourself -- and to your instructor -- to approach your studies with an active mind and a critical outlook.

To do less is to do yourself and your school a disservice.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice post and insight. You clarified what I think many people feel as "wrong", without being able to put their finger on it. Little of it is arguable, save for those students who married their teacher.

-Michael

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
An interesting post.

Your "bullet" points describe a person who is immature, not just an instructor.

You can have a mature instructor who is immature or unseasoned in the art of teaching. For example, I (like many others) know of instructors w/over 20yrs experience who try to teach too much too soon. This make it difficult for the students to digest and retain the material. Rank (demonstrated ability within an art) and teaching ability, as you indicate, are not necessarily commensurate.

Thanks for provoking some thought!

Miles

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a very good post, one of my biggest turn offs when searching for a dojo are instructors that just have to bash every other system and glorify their own, it makes me feel like I am about to join a McDojo for some reason. sadly, I remember visiting a Kenpo School before I joined another one, and having the instructor say to me, i ll never forget this: 'The first thing I do is grab anyone with bb in another style and kick their tail from one side of the school to the other so they can find out real quick that they know absolutely nothing." Funny thing was later on I found out this guy was only awarded a green belt in Kenpo and claimed to teach both Epak and Tracy. I ve also seen not only younger, but older instructors flirt with their students, and my personal favorite, the instructor has to be the toughest guy in the room. You have no idea how many guys ive ran into that cant spar worth anything, and yet for some reason have to intimidate, disrespect, and beat the snot out of all their lower belt students in order to convince themselves that they are actually good at what they do.

Immature Instructors are very dangerous in my opinion, students can seriously get hurt by one of these crack pots. Further, I find that immature instructors do not teach their styles with a high quality level, they only teach what they feel confident in this due to a lack of their own self confidence. It does not necessarily have to be trendy, but I have found that most immature instructors had immature instructors at one time themselves.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great post!

The only disagreement I might have is that such behavior is not a reflection of the instructor's personality, but rather of their CHARACTER.

Unfortunately, the martial arts tends to attract (along with dedicated individuals of good character) a, how shall I say it? Certain "element".

While most of the individuals you speak of teach with minimal real credentials and are either self-promoted to their high dan rankings or promoted from non-recognized groups, there are also, unfortunately, a number of traditional and legitimately ranked martial artists who also qualify as immature. In truth, the two greatest egomaniacs I have had the misfortune of meeting were highly trained, highly ranked martial artists from reputable styles and organizations.

On the other hand, this makes the true master (master both of the physical and MENTAL) so much rarer and valuable. I still kick myself for leaving a genuine Tai Chi master of tremendous character and ability in the 1980's because I wanted to study a "reality" based art. By the time I was MATURE enough to discover my stupidity he had passed away. Ignorant me - but live and learn.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Outstanding post..Once attended a week long training seminar put on by yet another cutting edge police defensive tactics system..The 2 instructors there embodied every negative thing that post made reference too..

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the problem is that the martial arts with their image attract people who need to be the alpha male in the room all the time.

Not everyone in the martial arts are like this, but a good percentage that last to instructor level are made like this. The martial arts allow them to show that they are dangerous and to be feared by others. They get the respect they feel is their fair share.

Of course, it is not just one part of their personality that is compartmentalized like this. The guy that needs to be called master on the mat has to be deffered to off the mat as well. He needs to call the shots to those around him 24/7.

And thus you have all the problems associated with being an alpha male all the time. Flirting with student? How obvious can you get?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Warning Signs of Instructor ImmaturityYou forgot one;
When the Instructor received his black belt in two years of total training and opens a school right after claiming much experience

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome post! I am impressed with the depth of your article. Thanks for the insight. I am sure we will all have to step back and assess ourselves.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another warning sign: An instructor/master who likes to manipulate people and feels enjoyment at doing so. However, forgets who he discussed the above with and trys to manipulate them. :rolleyes: TW

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pettiness, that seems to be what it all comes down to.

People that get all bent out of shape when someone says differently, people that like to brag about there rank and titles, people that take it personally when they loose, people that make a big deal out of nonsense, people that like to whine and complain about things but are willing to do nothing but whine and complain about them, etc.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drac said:
Outstanding post..Once attended a week long training seminar put on by yet another cutting edge police defensive tactics system..The 2 instructors there embodied every negative thing that post made reference too..
Did you continue throughout the entire week, or leave early?
how did the other students react?

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Those characterisics (among others) were all displayed by a former head instructor our club trained under...
Needless to say we are much happier now

Latest Discussions