Is rooting practical?

kalel21j7

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi ladies and Gents
I remember in my early eagle claw period where we learned rooting. I always wanted to know what people always felt about rooting in self defence vs trying something more fluid.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally speaking , I love to practice rooting. :EG:

Good lord! What's with all the threads on rooting? The last one "Do you have a root?" (courtesy of Futsaoman) still has me chuckling. But hey, half the population of the earth has a root, and if you have it, you'll use it, right? Not just Aussies. What about the lirics to that old American favorite, "Take me out to the ball game"? Did you ever "root, root, root for the home team?" If not, I'd say it's time to get busy.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes Rooting is practical.

my teacher was showing the differences between having root and not having root and how much of a difference it can be in a fight.

If you do not know how to root your balance can be taken easier which will cause your opponent to take advantage. Having root allows you to remain in posture and defend yourself in situations similar to being thrown in Ukemi(break falls and tumble rolls)

Having root when pushed off balance can redirect the energy and use it against your opponent.

Rooting is also good for your health because it allows for proper alignment among other things.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi ladies and Gents
I remember in my early eagle claw period where we learned rooting. I always wanted to know what people always felt about rooting in self defence vs trying something more fluid.
When most people speak of rooting, they think downward... but that is only part of the story. sure roots of a tree go down, but they do not go straight down. in addition to going down, the roots spread out underground wider than the exposed branches of the tree.

Also, think of how a tree grows. as the roots go down deep and spread outward, the trunk grows thick and strong, while the branches grow upward and outward toward the sky. To remain nimble, the branches, twigs, and leaves are all pliable.

So when you practice your 'rooting', feel your presence going deep to the ground and outward across the floor... but also expanding upward through the top of your head & outward through your arms.

Once you feel a standing root, then practice maintaining that same root as you move. This will provide the balance of power and agility.

pete.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are few things more important than rooting.
Rooting is not opposed to being fluid.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The one thing I find with rooting is that it decreases my mobility.

I'm not skilled enough yet to root and find my centre whilst moving.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rooting is the source of power. Rooting is balance as it is conciousness.
There are a few aspects to rooting. Some to do with the development of the body and stances. And other aspects of rooting that have more to do with movement/balance and conciousness.

Some hardcore japanese ma practitioners are so concerned with rooting that they frown on any sort of jumping in martial arts. I can understand to some degree, but i believe that rooting is relative and one can even be rooted in mid air.- It all depends on the task at hand.

j

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
everyone who wants power in strikes has root. Even boxer's who are known to be very fluid have root. Look at their feet and positioning when they throw knock out blows... hell even jabs.

The misconception is that if you are fluid you have no root. No. You can be fluid and have root.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Okinawan goju, rooting is learned in Sanchin. Rooting is aligning the skeletal structure, stacking if you will, with gravity. It is a connection with the ground, that allows a free exchange of force down through the skeletal structure to the ground and also backup from the ground to your opponent. Some arts stress it, others don't, so it is conceivable that you could be doing it as part of your daily practice and not even give it a second thought, or be aware of it. Is it essential, no, you can still kick someones butt without it. Is it useful, I feel it makes the difference between a newbie and an advanced practitioner. Rather then labor your techniques and make them happen, rooting helps the flow of energy which in turn allows you to be fluid yet powerful at the same time.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Through the tanden! And through balance, timing etc. Like for example a flying side kick that hits its target.

Not going to get into all the making yourself heavier and lighter. Although there are some demonstrations where i have seen those kinds of things.
I have seen takedabudo demonstrations where the guy gets picked up by four or six people, then at a given moment he sortof shuffles and puts all his power in one spot and the whole lot of people holding him over their heads falls down-. sure some of it is show, but it does have something to it. I saw this demonstration by takeo nishikido, but the video is no longer available. Those were some slightly overreceptive ukes, but the principles were understandable.
come to think of it i think i have also seen Toheisenseis clips displaying such things...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kcql70T6B8&feature=related
basically, i think that one should always have good rooting and be able to avoid injuries.

j

j

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Okinawan goju, rooting is learned in Sanchin. Rooting is aligning the skeletal structure, stacking if you will, with gravity. It is a connection with the ground, that allows a free exchange of force down through the skeletal structure to the ground and also backup from the ground to your opponent. Some arts stress it, others don't, so it is conceivable that you could be doing it as part of your daily practice and not even give it a second thought, or be aware of it. Is it essential, no, you can still kick someones butt without it. Is it useful, I feel it makes the difference between a newbie and an advanced practitioner. Rather then labor your techniques and make them happen, rooting helps the flow of energy which in turn allows you to be fluid yet powerful at the same time.

yep most arts teach it, even if the student does not realize it.

Latest Discussions