What is a teacher's job

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Paul,
The concept of civic participation by a ma instructor is an interesting one. I've seen some who interpret this as giving demos all over the place, which, in my opinion, is really self-serving in that it's hoped that people see the demo, think it's cool for their kids and sign up. Another interpretation is doing outreach programs, like the self defense classes given by a lot of schools. Still another is participating by conducting a fund raising event for a charity like a local child with cancer. So, what is civic duty? Is it all of the above or just some. I've been in schools where the walls are covered with citations and certificates of appreciation because the master and the school are incredibly active in the community. That impresses me, because it shows that the master and, by extension, his school, are truly part of the community. Again, the cynics in the audience will say it's all part of promoting the school, and it is. But it's positive, and usually (but not always) a bellwether of the attitude prevalent in the school. KT
I know what you mean with the abuse of 'civic participation' of school owners. Around here, if you open any school district adult ed/community ed schedule you will have two or three instructors providing a 'service' when they are actually promoting their school. I, admittedly, have run free women's self defense seminars that were multi-purpose in motives....

When I mentioned civic participation what I was referring to was things like walk-a-thons, Ride for a cure, Toys for Tots and such. I envisioned the instructor getting a group of students together to participate in the event as a 'living example' or 'application of the moral/credo of the school and wearing maybe the school t-shirt to identifiy them as a group (like companies will do when they have employees participate in charity events). Toys for Tots is a USMC reserve toy collection drive that any instructor/school owner could participate in simply by having the collection barrel in his building.

Things like this are tough because they require a lot of time and administrative (read boring/thankless) planning on the instructors part but the rewards are priceless. Students get to feel that sense of "espirit de corps" because they share a unique experience associated to their martial arts group, the event gets more participation, the school might end up with positive exposure.... but the PURPOSE of it within the Frameworks domain idea is that the instructor/teacher is making sure that he/she is an active/contributing participant in the community as a whole person, not just a teacher.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I know what you mean with the abuse of 'civic participation' of school owners. Around here, if you open any school district adult ed/community ed schedule you will have two or three instructors providing a 'service' when they are actually promoting their school. I, admittedly, have run free women's self defense seminars that were multi-purpose in motives....

When I mentioned civic participation what I was referring to was things like walk-a-thons, Ride for a cure, Toys for Tots and such. I envisioned the instructor getting a group of students together to participate in the event as a 'living example' or 'application of the moral/credo of the school and wearing maybe the school t-shirt to identifiy them as a group (like companies will do when they have employees participate in charity events). Toys for Tots is a USMC reserve toy collection drive that any instructor/school owner could participate in simply by having the collection barrel in his building.

Things like this are tough because they require a lot of time and administrative (read boring/thankless) planning on the instructors part but the rewards are priceless. Students get to feel that sense of "espirit de corps" because they share a unique experience associated to their martial arts group, the event gets more participation, the school might end up with positive exposure.... but the PURPOSE of it within the Frameworks domain idea is that the instructor/teacher is making sure that he/she is an active/contributing participant in the community as a whole person, not just a teacher.
You don't have to sell me on the concept of giving to charity. I'm a professional fund raiser/event planner for a non-profit organiztion. This is a topic near and dear to my heart, and I try to get people involved whenever I can. I completely agree with your take on it being "thankless" (read: boring paperwork), but you are also correct in pointing out some low/no maintenance projects like Toys for Tots. Our school has done a toy drive around Christmas for a local church - also canned goods for the food pantry.

My two former schools both participate in our town's Fall Festival (one at my instigation), which gives them exposure to the public. I know most schools do that sort of demo thing at fairs and in the schools. My instructor goes to the classes of our juniors to give a free 'class' with some safety tips included. He's also been a "special person" for some of the kids in the elementary school here. That is a day when the child invites someone, usually a grandparent, to school. KT

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
You don't have to sell me on the concept of giving to charity. I'm a professional fund raiser/event planner for a non-profit organiztion. This is a topic near and dear to my heart, and I try to get people involved whenever I can. I completely agree with your take on it being "thankless" (read: boring paperwork), but you are also correct in pointing out some low/no maintenance projects like Toys for Tots. Our school has done a toy drive around Christmas for a local church - also canned goods for the food pantry.

My two former schools both participate in our town's Fall Festival (one at my instigation), which gives them exposure to the public. I know most schools do that sort of demo thing at fairs and in the schools. My instructor goes to the classes of our juniors to give a free 'class' with some safety tips included. He's also been a "special person" for some of the kids in the elementary school here. That is a day when the child invites someone, usually a grandparent, to school. KT
Cool, though unappreciated job KT. Any pointers for the uninitiated on how to avoid some of the pitfalls/frustrations of event organization, whether fund raiser, seminar, competition? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't feel that this is hijacking of the thread as long as it is only a few posts because part of a teacher's job description is running/organizing these types of events.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Cool, though unappreciated job KT. Any pointers for the uninitiated on how to avoid some of the pitfalls/frustrations of event organization, whether fund raiser, seminar, competition? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't feel that this is hijacking of the thread as long as it is only a few posts because part of a teacher's job description is running/organizing these types of events.
Okay Paul - Here's the deal. I'll send you a pm so we aren't accused of being in cahoots. Then I'll (or you'll) post what you feel is relevant. Give me a little time to collect my thoughts - life intrudes!

And, you're correct. It is mostly unappreciated, but I enjoy being one of the guys in the white hats. KT

OP
Martial Tucker

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:

I agree with this completely, and it annoys the hell out of me when I see some schools in my area putting on demos in the name of "civic participation" that accomplish little other than publicizing the school. Civic "participation" implies "service", which most of us know means to contribute effort without expectation of personal benefit.
Our school master has promoted charity drives and volunteering for such things as nursing homes, meals-on-wheels, soup kitchens, etc. But you are right that it takes a lot of time. As such, as a student in our school approaches BB level, it is expected that he or she is demonstratably active in community service. Traditionally, a BB in a martial art implies a committment to a "warrior" lifestyle, or mentality which certainly does not just mean being prepared to fight. Much more importantly, it implies a readiness to help the less fortunate in your community and to get involved to try to make your community a better place to live, and hopefully, even inspire others to do the same. Almost anyone, in time, can learn the techniques required to pass a black belt test. But I say there is much more to being a black belt than that.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial arts is a tool.

Like any teacher, a martial arts teacher has the responsibility to teach not only how to use the tool, but when the tool is and is not appropriate for the situation.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts philosophy is not that different from philosophy used in religion:
1. Love other students and fellow humans
2. Respect parents and seniors
3. Be a person of integrity and trust
4. Use mercy in applying MA techniques
5. Practice humility

There is a difference between advocating moral principles in martial arts practice and advocating religion. Moral principles guide us in being the right kind of people in life and not misusing this awesome weapon we turn ourselves into. It may or may not involve religion. More making the right decisions.
Religion involves more who/what is God and our relationship with this Force. This is a deeply personal issue with most people. I do not advocate using martial arts as a vehicle for promoting religious expression or teaching, because peoples' religious attitudes are formed outside class and probably have lttle to do with practice.
However, Instructors have a responsibility to teach moral structure, knowing that morality in martial arts is not going to differ too much from religious morality. But that line should not be crossed.
Religion is something people must decide for themselves. An Instructor who preaches religion to students is being awfully presumptuous and not allowing his students to make their own choices. Much like an Instructor who tells students how to vote.
Several of our Senior Instructors are devout conservative Christians. As far as I know, they have NEVER used Tae Kwon Do as a means of promoting religious values. It is not their place to do that. They only teach moral obligations as TKD Instructors-how students are expected to behave as Tae Kwon Do students.
I have had Christian, Muslim, and Jewish students. Simultaneously at times. There has never been a conflict because I have never taught Tae Kwon Do as religion or preached a certain religious viewpoint. I have taught certain moral standards, like the ones listed above.

Latest Discussions