Anyone study more than one Martial Art?

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have just entered both my 10th year of Law Enforcement. (patrol and School resource have been my two assignments) and 20th year in The Martial Arts. (karate) Karate has quite frankly not been of as much use to me as high school wrestling has been.

I was just at the Police academy last week. I am workout partners with the DT instructor at the police academy. I will tell you all they teach now is joint and ground fighting.

They taught us kicking and punching (hard hand tech.to be used just before deadly force) as well as wrist, joint locks and take downs. (open hand tech. also the most used in the real world of LE). In 10 years the only strike I have used is a block. We have evolved into a world of liability. Everyone is Law Suit scared. so they come out with tools Like the Taser and Asp. that will back their tool as long as they are used correctly. My advise to you would be. To train what you enjoy no matter what it is. They will teach you what they want you to learn, then tell you to use it only after your Taser, Pepper, and Asp baton does not work. Good luck with Law Enforcement it is a fun job. I don't know where you live but here almost everyone makes more than cops, and I work at a good Department that pays well compared. It is a calling not a job. I would say that if you want to train TKD go for it. But BJJ and Aikido type style would be the most useful. in this day in Law Enforcement.

Also Don't get caught up in that we train Law Enforcement Crap. everyone trains the police or military of some type. I know cops that train in yoga and Tai chi does not mean it would be effective in the streets as a cop and then again it works for them. People just use that because that gives them some validity, but really I think most arts can say they trained the police.

To repeat myself for about the 19th time in this reply (i need Sleep) Just learn what they train you in School. then when you get out of school. someone will tell you to forget everything you have learned and they will teach you the street way to police.
Sounds like you only got the basic locks from karate. I wish more would teach or even knew the old ways with the tuite makes karate alot more diverse in its ability to be used and its level of effectiveness in multiple situations.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you only got the basic locks from karate. I wish more would teach or even knew the old ways with the tuite makes karate alot more diverse in its ability to be used and its level of effectiveness in multiple situations.

We do train tuite as well as kyusho jitsu.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting that you still have only used a block from karate. But at least you are getting more tools then the basic part of karate.
Well I guess now that i think about it that part of the post was wrong I use wrist locks and "pain point" quite often. although i think the "Wrestling takedowns " i use may be found in kata as well.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I guess now that i think about it that part of the post was wrong I use wrist locks and "pain point" quite often. although i think the "Wrestling takedowns " i use may be found in kata as well.
Could very well be the case.

ikmftoronto

White Belt
Reaction score
I teach and study Krav Maga with the IKMF and also take Kali/Ecrima from an excellent Grandmaster in Toronto.

I find these compliment each other nicely. I would choose a primary martial art and explore others as a means of understanding potential opponents but also to bolster aspects of your martial art of choice.

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do, and started Judo today. No real reason other than I just love martial arts.

Laura

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am currently studying wing chun and escrima both at the same time. These arts do compliment eachother and have many similar hand and arm movements. However the footwork i'm learning in the escrima clashes with my wing chun footwork a good deal. It's tough to keep them seperate as the escrima footwork feels more natural.

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah i study Bujinkan Taijutsu along with a mix of boxing/generic kickboxing and muay thai,

I did include MMA and grappling too at one point but found i was stretching myself too much so have cut it down to Ninjutsu and a class or two per week of boxing/thai style stand up.

I don't find they hurt each other, but obviously the more time you spend in one particular art, the quicker you can learn it.

What i found was that my ninjutsu training is generally not very physically demanding and the techniques need to be performed slowly so i can learn them properly, which leaves you needing some release...particularly as a beginner! That's where, the boxing/kickboxing comes in handy...

i can hit the pads hard, let out some adrenalin and aggression and get my heart rate up and put in a tough workout. Which means i can go then go to Ninjutsu classes and be much more relaxed and less in a hurry to hit something lol

Latest Discussions