Anyone else see/hear about this?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
with a fight chase scene running through the back alleys of seoul, culminating in the kkw masters taking on the entire itf organisation single handedly. Must be poorly dubbed though.

As a plot twist, while the Kukkiwon Masters are engaged in unarmed combat, a young korean girl leads the GTF into the Kukkiwon, and claim control of it from within!

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This kind of thing happens from time to time even at the highest levels of government in SK. I remember a year or two ago one party physically barred the doors to the national assembly and the other party broke the doors down. It can get pretty crazy.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the perspective Jaeimseu, it's not a part of the culture/society that I'm familiar with.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

They do say that Korea has a crazy low crime rate and I must admit I felt incredibly safe last year, so that might be why they have a completely different view of security, particular for a building where most of the staff are high level martial artists :)

It was an amazing experience, it felt like I really was part of a family. Hearing about so many countries having political issues within Taekwondo, it was nice to be in an environment where there weren't any such issues - everyone just out to make friends and help everyone else.

Who says that, the tourist bureau? I am very glad you enjoyed yourself there, and felt welcomed. Koreans, like any nationality, can be like that.

But I am not sure you can even say that about violent crime these days. When I was there the first time, there was very little violent crime reported (however, see below). There was a fair amount of theft. There used to be a joke that Korea had the best slicky boys in the world. They could steal your radio and leave the music.

But up until recent times, it was often considered shameful to report anything to the police. It is the old Confucian influence. If you were living rightly, things went well for you. If things didn't go well for you, you hadn't been living rightly. You should change to living rightly.

The dynamics look like a situation where the aggressors are already known to the parties involved.

Note that the aggressors make little effort to physically hurt the other people, they seem more interested in causing a ruckus. The others make little attempt to stop the aggressors...and a whole bunch of bystanders are calmly pointing their phones/tablets at the mêlée rather than running for their life.

Rather than random thugs storming in off the street to hurt people, this looked more like someone known to everyone was losing it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I meant to ask my wife her opinion of this last night, but wasn't able to, and probably won't tonight either. However, another part of Korean law is that the first one to throw a punch, is the person at fault. I have seen two Koreans get very verbally offensive to each other. One of them may say many vile things and get right up into the face of the other, even crowding them to the point of backing them up. As long as nothing physical happens, no punch, hit, or kick, no fault, no foul. If one of them throws a punch, that person will likely go be arrested an be required to go to court. They may also be liable for suite. It doesn't matter who was the original person that would be considered at fault.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This kind of thing happens from time to time even at the highest levels of government in SK. I remember a year or two ago one party physically barred the doors to the national assembly and the other party broke the doors down. It can get pretty crazy.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

Anyone else remember the video of a SK Congressman tossing people around in parliament? I remember a nice tai otoshi and a tomoe nage like Captain Kirk

Latest Discussions