Any Taekwondo school teaching WTF in Denver area?

simonzb2008

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone knows any master teaching WTF style Taekwondo in north Denver area?

I am looking for a school teaching WTF forms (taegeuk, palgwe), self defense, one-step sparring etc.

thanks
Simon

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows any master teaching WTF style Taekwondo in north Denver area?

I am looking for a school teaching WTF forms (taegeuk, palgwe), self defense, one-step sparring etc.

thanks
Simon

No, because there is no such thing as a WTF style of TKD.
There are, however, tons of Kukkiwon schools in the Denver area (which will pretty much all use the taegeuk forms, since those are the ones required for KKW geup rank, and the only ones used in WTF-sanctioned competition). Not surprising considering how close Denver is the the Olympic Training Center. Perhaps you can be a little more specific about what part of the Denver metroplex you're in?

Or you can start with
Welcome to Tiger Kim's Taekwondo Academy
World Tae Kwon Do College_Home Page
Locations
yosvanytkd
Santos Taekwondo Littleton Tae Kwon Do Denver Colorado
Victory Taekwondo Center
J.w. Kim Taekwondo - Martial Arts, Taekwondo Lessons, Martial Arts Schools
Golden Taekwondo
Tae Kwon Do & Karate
~:World Taekwondo, Inc. :~

OP
S

simonzb2008

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the list. Yes I think Kukkiwon school is the direction. I just moved in Denver, Westminster area. I wanna to see whether there are masters teaching

WTF Taekwondo 8 forms (starting Taegeuk Il Jang) and Palgwe 8 forms (starting from Palgwe Il Jang).

Thank you.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Without looking, I bet any of those schools will teach the Taegeuk forms. Palgwe aren't official KKW forms anymore, so I don't think many KKW schools teach them except as supplemental material (for example to add more curriculum at the dan/poom level).

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Without looking, I bet any of those schools will teach the Taegeuk forms....

One would think so, wouldn't one? Out of curiosity I did some spot-checking via Google of schools in the Westminster area of Denver...two ATA schools, an ITF school, a Tang So Do school...only one that I saw in Westminster ("Champion Taekwondo Academy") that looked like Kukkiwon-style (and that is based only on the V-necked doboks and sparring gear in their photos).

Of course if you go a little farther south, closer to central Denver, there are a few more options. Based just on websites, I thought Golden Taekwondo and Tiger Kims looked most promising. Tiger Kims apparently teaches both Kukkiwon Taekwondo as well as Tang Soo Do.

CTA: Champion TaeKwonDo Academy

Golden Taekwondo - Moo Duk Kwan and Kukkiwon heritage, apparently

Welcome to Tiger Kim's Taekwondo Academy - GM Kim (born 1936) is dan #123 from Hwang Kee himself!

It's not clear that any of those schools teach Palgwae poomsae though...just Taegeuk poomsae on their websites.

Question: Why do some schools lock their online curriculums behind a password on their website? For instance Golden Taekwondo has a Taegeuk link on their webpage, but you have to have a student password to see the webpage. Like the Taegeuk poomsae are a secret sauce?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I should have added that I have had a fair bit of personal contact with the Tiger Kim and World TKD schools.
Tiger Kim has a more eclectic approach, and teaches Hapkido and some weapons material.
World TKD is a pure classic KKW school.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Question: Why do some schools lock their online curriculums behind a password on their website? For instance Golden Taekwondo has a Taegeuk link on their webpage, but you have to have a student password to see the webpage. Like the Taegeuk poomsae are a secret sauce?

Good question. I wish I knew the answer.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Maybe they've put together some kind of instructional videos or other supplemental material that they they don't want their competitors to have access to. The curriculum for each belt is usually more than just "do this form". They may have specific poomsae application drills, sparring exercises, kicking combinations, etc for each belt, and want to limit the distribution of that material.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe they've put together some kind of instructional videos or other supplemental material that they they don't want their competitors to have access to...They may have specific poomsae application drills, sparring exercises, kicking combinations, etc for each belt, and want to limit the distribution of that material.

I agree that that's probably their thinking, but I don't think these schools have thought it through very well. To me, it seems that these are the possibilities:
  • Case #1, Worst case: some competing school in your neighborhood copies the best parts of your curriculum.
  • Case #2: some competing school far away from you copies the best parts of your curriculum. (In which case, any students they gain aren't students you would have had access to anyway.)
  • Case #3: schools everywhere can see your curriculum, and there's nothing in your curriculum they feel is worth copying (because your curriculum is nothing special).
Here's the entire curriculum for our school: how the poomsae should be performed, what the kicking combinations are, and what the breaking techniques are at each belt level: Majest Martial Arts Our "secret sauce" isn't the curriculum, it's the way we teach (i.e., well, we hope).

I don't think there's like a school anywhere that will look at our videos and say, "Wow, their 7th geup kicking combination uses a double-roundhouse...we should put that into our curriculum!"

What's more, if some nearby school were to copy our curriculum completely, I still don't think it would cost us any students at all. New students don't even really know what our curriculum is when they sign up, and existing students aren't going to leave our school just because some nearby school has the same curriculum.

All the "password" thing does is (a) make more work for the school, since now the front desk has to manage passwords, (b) complicate their website, since now it has to handle passwords, (c) make it more difficult for current students to access the curriculum, since now they have to remember and type passwords, and (d) hypothetically, if a new candidate DID want to review your curriculum before deciding upon your school, make it impossible to see what the curriculum looks like.

To me, it seems that password-protecting your curriculum is all downside with no upside.

Latest Discussions