Anti-grappling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that is why the slapee will be in in a really nice position to be hit?.

Not with both the clincher's hands behind your back he's not.

Actually considering you are probably being punched in the face while you are trying that I don't mind the shoulders.

Actually considering you can move your head or use either of your hands to block and you only need to get one slap in and you are doing it at the right time you will not be getting punched.

Surely though 'anti grappling' is just another name for 'defences against...' ?

You learn a technique ie a takedown and then you learn the defence against it. You can of course just learn the defence but it can't be thought of as anything new can it?

What works and doesn't is open for discussion but point is that 'anti grappling' is still just defences against whatever.

You learn a technique ie a takedown and then you learn the defence against it. You can of course just learn the defence but it can't be thought of as anything new can it?

What works and doesn't is open for discussion but point is that 'anti grappling' is still just defences against whatever.
Why do you have to phrase it in such simple terms? People might start to understand and we wouldn't want that ... would we?
:asian:

I re read the original article in that context and anti grapple is new because street I think. Which would make sense because then it does not have to work against a grappler or in competition.

I don't know if I can copy paste the bit. But where it asks why they don't just do grappling. And then goes on to say just hit the groin to get them off mount.

Hands Off WingTsun Anti Grappling and MMA

Surely though 'anti grappling' is just another name for 'defences against...' ?You learn a technique ie a takedown and then you learn the defence against it. You can of course just learn the defence but it can't be thought of as anything new can it?What works and doesn't is open for discussion but point is that 'anti grappling' is still just defences against whatever.
The problem is when you begin making ludicrous claims that your ineffective and very basic takedown defenses can stop any grappler, or advanced grapplers.

The problem is when you begin making ludicrous claims that your ineffective and very basic takedown defenses can stop any grappler, or advanced grapplers.

I actually don't like the bit before that. Where the assumption is that you can short cut your way through a problem instead of learning a skill properly.

You can but you are going to be crap.

Now some people don't care if they are crap. I don't. I have other things I really need to do that takes me away from being good. But I accept that I am going to be worse than somone who is putting the time and effort in.

It is where people rationalise that gets me.

Anti grapple seems like a rationalisation. But then again catch wrestling is only dominant due to strength is a rationalisation as well. It is an easy trap to fall Into.

I sucked. I got smashed and now have to get better. It is a hard lesson but an important one.

Like you were saying your prayers

This slapper looks a little too tense, keep the shoulders relaxed and you will have a faster slap and close the fingers.

I'm sorry but I was howling with laughter at you calling the chap a slapper! A slapper has a very specific meaning here in the UK and it has nothing to do with being slapped, the chap in the photo would most certainly be offended, perhaps that's why he was tense! :lfao:

I'm not sure that they make any claims other than advertising rhetoric. I can teach most people karate to a reasonable level. What I teach should provide that student with the means to defend himself in an emergency. The training is not designed for him to go into the ring or to go and pick a "monkey dance" fight. I make no claims as to the outcome of any altercation. The techniques I have taught should equip him to deal with your average street thug. That includes defending against being taken to the ground.

What you are calling ineffective may be quite effective if taught properly. What you have described before is poor application of technique, not necessarily poor technique per se. Whether you consider something ineffective or not is up to you. I see lots of things I would do differently but I don't go round labelling everything ineffective or fraudulent.

I'm not sure that they make any claims other than advertising rhetoric.

Does that make it any better? A false claim is still a false claim. I would even argue that making a false claim and profiting from it is even worse.

What you are calling ineffective may be quite effective if taught properly. What you have described before is poor application of technique, not necessarily poor technique per se. Whether you consider something ineffective or not is up to you. I see lots of things I would do differently but I don't go round labelling everything ineffective or fraudulent.

I don't label everything ineffective or fraudulent, just things that are are actually ineffective or fraudulent.

Does that make it any better? A false claim is still a false claim. I would even argue that making a false claim and profiting from it is even worse.

If you want to enforce truth in advertising good luck to you. Instead of Horatio I will just call you Don. :) Exaggerated claims are scarcely the sole domain of WC.

I don't label everything ineffective or fraudulent, just things that are are actually ineffective or fraudulent.
True. BJJ isn't ineffective or fraudulent ... everything else is! ;)

However with 'fraud busting' being against the rules here, perhaps this isn't the right place to do it?

I'm sorry but I was howling with laughter at you calling the chap a slapper! A slapper has a very specific meaning here in the UK and it has nothing to do with being slapped, the chap in the photo would most certainly be offended, perhaps that's why he was tense! :lfao:

I learn something new every day here. For example:

slapper

Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary

English[edit]

Etymology[edit]

For senses 3 and 4, the OED tentatively quotes the Bloomsbury Dictionary of Contemporary Slang: "This working class term from East London and Essex is probably a corruption of shlepper or schlepper, a word of Yiddish origin, one of whose meanings is a slovenly or immoral woman."
Noun[edit]

slapper (plural slappers)

1. (countable) One who, or that which, slaps.
  2. (countable, slang, dated) Anything monstrous; a whopper.(Can we find and add a quotation of Grose to this entry?)
  3. (countable, UK, Ireland, slang) A prostitute.
  4. (countable, UK, Ireland, Australia, slang) A woman of loose morals.
Select targeted languages

1) You need to know how to prevent/break away from the clinch. A grappler can use the clinch to stifle your strikes and take you down.

Agree!

In order to be able to do so, you will need to understand each and every single clinch situation. Besides that you will need to understand what function it can perform, you will also need to know:

1. How to prevent if from happening?
2. How to break away when it happens?
3. How to take advantage on it when it happens?

For example, When your opponent tries to grab your wrist, you can

1. move your arm away and don't let him to grab you. This is easy to do. You just keep some distance between his hand and your arm.
2. break it away when he has already grabbed on you. This is also easy to do, you just twist your arm to against his thumb.
3. take advantage on his grabbing and apply your locking skill on him. In order to do this, you will need to be good in joint locking skill.

When your opponent gets you

- an "under hook", he also lets you to get a free "over hook" on him.
- an "over hook", he also lets you to get a free "under hook" on him.
- a "head lock", he also lets you to get a free "under hook" on him.
- a "bear hug", he also lets you to get a free "head lock" on him.

Do you know how to take advantage on those different "contact points" that your opponent gives you for free?

Since there are a lot of different clinch situations, there are a lot of knowledge and skill you will need to develop. After you have developed those skills, you are already a reasonable "grappler" yourself.

Last edited:
If you want to enforce truth in advertising good luck to you.

I'm not trying to enforce anything, I'm merely pointing out a false claim.

Exaggerated claims are scarcely the sole domain of WC.

It isn't exaggerated, its outright false. Also I never claimed that such was the sole domain of WC.

True. BJJ isn't ineffective or fraudulent ... everything else is! ;)

You said that. Not me.

However with 'fraud busting' being against the rules here, perhaps this isn't the right place to do it?

When the claim is this;

In this new and spectacular work, Sifu Victor Gutierrez addresses the techniques of Chi Gerk (sticky legs) and Anti-Grappling for advanced Wing Tsun’ers.

He examines how to deal with advanced grapplers, who know how to implement the softness of adhering to us, while looking for the empty space to move into and exert maximum pressure.

This video will uncover the secrets of how to defend against grapplers by using the most advanced techniques and effective Wing Tsun

And the result is this;

Do we really need to discuss fraud busting?

I am not sure what munty means but a double palm slap to the ears can be very painful, cause temporary to permanent deafness and can affect your balance The pressure wave produced by a hard slap to the ears can be extremely loud and disorienting. I once had a wad of wax lodged in my ear, I was deaf in that ear for 2 weeks and it was one of the most painful experiences I have ever had.

One of my students burst an eardrum in sparring last Monday (lateral stick strike to the ear). It didn't impact him at all with regard to function for the rest of the fight, or the next two fights for that matter. He did say that him getting water in his ear the next day hurt like a mother @##$@.

Maybe it would be different if it was a double strike to both ears at the same time, but just one didn't really slow him down, and this wasn't even a very high intensity fight where adrenalin might be carrying you through the pain.

One of my students burst an eardrum in sparring last Monday (lateral stick strike to the ear). It didn't impact him at all with regard to function for the rest of the fight, or the next two fights for that matter. He did say that him getting water in his ear the next day hurt like a mother @##$@.

Maybe it would be different if it was a double strike to both ears at the same time, but just one didn't really slow him down, and this wasn't even a very high intensity fight where adrenalin might be carrying you through the pain.

Charles sonen of course likes a good ear slap

When the claim is this;

And the result is this;

[/FONT][/I][/COLOR]

Do we really need to discuss fraud busting?

Well, we don't call this 'anti-grappling however, approx. 2 weeks ago one of my fighters finished his fight in the 2nd round almost exactly as shown here (other than the strikes to the groin). Was in the opponents guard; crossed the opponents arms and the fight concluded by RSC due to excessive punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back