Another Perspective - Same Conclusions

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Chad, welcome to MT! Carol has made a good suggestion in letting people know who you are in the Meet & Greet. Hope you enjoy the Forum. Would love to hear more about your experience, and especially anything you can share about Kenpo. :)

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Chad! Welcome to MartialTalk!

If you have a moment, it'd be great if you can post a wee bit about yourself in the meet and greet section :)

Chad's not a newbie, just an old friend who hasn't been around in awhile.

ChadWarner

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Carol and Kidswarrior. Outstanding post Doc. I thought about What Mr. White said in response to your post. Nothing came to mind and nothing was even romotely beneficial for the mases. But wait a minute... I don't teach for a living so why would I care about the mases? I believe there are six remaining original 7ths. Why don't you all put your heads together form a coalition put on an American Kenpo only tournement. Have five events of Self defense, forms, submission, knockout, and a true freestyle category with a win coming only by knockout or submission. If there was to be a time limit with no clear winner then the match is to be delclared no contest and the combatants are dqed. These six can double their numbers only by a unanimous vote and people from their groups or associations cannot compete. If a coalition memeber resigns his postion after 2 years of service their groups are eligible for competition.

Now who's the madder scientist?

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Carol and Kidswarrior. Outstanding post Doc. I thought about What Mr. White said in response to your post. Nothing came to mind and nothing was even romotely beneficial for the mases. But wait a minute... I don't teach for a living so why would I care about the mases? I believe there are six remaining original 7ths. Why don't you all put your heads together form a coalition put on an American Kenpo only tournement. Have five events of Self defense, forms, submission, knockout, and a true freestyle category with a win coming only by knockout or submission. If there was to be a time limit with no clear winner then the match is to be delclared no contest and the combatants are dqed. These six can double their numbers only by a unanimous vote and people from their groups or associations cannot compete. If a coalition memeber resigns his postion after 2 years of service their groups are eligible for competition.

Now who's the madder scientist?

I hate tournaments, and depending on how you count and who you believe, there are more 7th's than that.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
That's encouraging to hear. I thought all were 10th's by now.
icon10.gif

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's encouraging to hear. I thought all were 10th's by now.
icon10.gif

I don't assign any rank to myself anymore, although I do hang my diploma from Mr. Parker on the wall along with some of the others I have attained. These days it has less meaning than it once did.

Not all have claimed 10th, and some made some huge leaps in rank to get there. :)

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Oh sorry. Words on a screen don't always translate well. I wasn't putting you in the mix. I was referring to the multitiudes of others, that seem to jump stripes on a regular basis like 1 to 3 or 4 then to 10 shortly after. I didn't think in this day and age that 7 stripes would be enough or even used anymore. Might as well be a tenth!

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh sorry. Words on a screen don't always translate well. I wasn't putting you in the mix. I was referring to the multitiudes of others, that seem to jump stripes on a regular basis like 1 to 3 or 4 then to 10 shortly after. I didn't think in this day and age that 7 stripes would be enough or even used anymore. Might as well be a tenth!

I didn't think you meant me, but you're right about jumping from 4th to 10th. So now 10th means nothing.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't think you meant me, but you're right about jumping from 4th to 10th. So now 10th means nothing.

Long before I thought of doing Asian MA (things Asian in those days usually meant 'associated with a(n unpopular) war', I 'did' the US Navy. The service was, sadly, so desperate to fill the 'empty boots' that they offered an instant promotion to petty officer for anyone extending their enlistment by two years. Had a friend do this, and watched the ceremony as he became a 'Shake 'n Bake' E-4, while I remained a mundane E-3. Funny thing, tho, a few years later when I got out we were both E-5's, but he still had two years to serve for the earlier instant gratification.

I think dan rankings only have meaning to each of us personally. Only we know if we've earned it or not, or what we might have 'earned' in life that's doesn't show up on a belt. I admire your example, Doc. It's good for the arts.

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Long before I thought of doing Asian MA (things Asian in those days usually meant 'associated with a(n unpopular) war', I 'did' the US Navy. The service was, sadly, so desperate to fill the 'empty boots' that they offered an instant promotion to petty officer for anyone extending their enlistment by two years. Had a friend do this, and watched the ceremony as he became a 'Shake 'n Bake' E-4, while I remained a mundane E-3. Funny thing, tho, a few years later when I got out we were both E-5's, but he still had two years to serve for the earlier instant gratification.

I think dan rankings only have meaning to each of us personally. Only we know if we've earned it or not, or what we might have 'earned' in life that's doesn't show up on a belt. I admire your example, Doc. It's good for the arts.

Yeah, but bad for business. :) It's a balancing act I haven't mastered.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, but bad for business. :) It's a balancing act I haven't mastered.

So you aren't quitting your day job sir? ;) :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm over sixty and would love to, - if I could only sell at least one of those girls.

Oh I'm sure you don't intimidate potential suitors one bit. :lol:

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure you don't intimidate potential suitors one bit. :lol:

OK I admit I used to. My favorite saying was, "Please to meet you youngman - I have a shotgun and a shovel, and I ain't afraid to use either one of them."

I've since softened my stance and just want them to mary someone with some bucks who won't beatemup, inspite of the temptation I know they're going to have.

Latest Discussions