Another Get your Kenpo Blackbelt at home.

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Doc
James Ibrao Stuff!

I don't know all the arts in the world. Maybe, he is the FIRST to name his ART with his REAL name. ?????

In his front page, James Ibrao- FIRST Ed parker's black belt. In the second page- he looks like a kung fu man. If you know what i'm saying ;)

oh boy, your AK people don't looke like kung fu men EXCEPT him, LOL.:D

i'm REALLY confused when i visit his web site because i don't know what he is REALLY teaching. Thank you for your answer, DOC.

he surely put a lot of stuffs in "James Ibrao stuff". I'm sure it is *good*
;):D

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
I don't know all the arts in the world. Maybe, he is the FIRST to name his ART with his REAL name. ?????

In his front page, James Ibrao- FIRST Ed parker's black belt. In the second page- he looks like a kung fu man. If you know what i'm saying ;)

oh boy, your AK people don't looke like kung fu men EXCEPT him, LOL.:D

i'm REALLY confused when i visit his web site because i don't know what he is REALLY teaching. Thank you for your answer, DOC.

he surely put a lot of stuffs in "James Ibrao stuff". I'm sure it is *good*
;):D

Well you know more than me. I have o opinion as to whether it's good or not. I simply don't know. He left Parker after less than a year of study, and he was not Parker's first black belt, but was his second after Charles Beeder.

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Doc

He left Parker after less than a year of study, and he was not Parker's first black belt, but was his second after Charles Beeder. [/B]

His web site states " I would study there through 1991 and every day as I walked to the changing room I would see the Great Kenpo Family Tree and on that tree I would see the name of Parker’s VERY FIRST Black Belt .............James Ibrao "

see, Doc???

It is the ONLY reason why I HATE Kempo/kenpo.

:soapbox: :soapbox: :confused: :confused:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
His web site states " I would study there through 1991 and every day as I walked to the changing room I would see the Great Kenpo Family Tree and on that tree I would see the name of Parker’s VERY FIRST Black Belt .............James Ibrao "

see, Doc???

It is the ONLY reason why I HATE Kempo/kenpo.

:soapbox: :soapbox: :confused: :confused:

I come from the "no spin zone." Had he stated he was Parker's first black belt in Southern California, he'd been correct. However Parker's first black was a student from his original class at BYU in Utah as was VERY senior to Ibrao. In fact Beeder began studying with Parker while Parker was still a brown belt, and long before Parker got out of the service and opened a school in Pasadena.

Hell, everybody studied with Parker and he taught everybody the secret material, and everybody was with him as a student until he died, (even me). The problem is he taught everybody DIFFERENT secret stuiff, and some of it is better than others. :rofl:

OP
M

marshallbd

after looking at James Ibrao's web site, i don't know what he really teachs.?? kung fu or AK???:confused: :confused:

if he doesn't call his art AK or kung fu, what his art is all about ??? i'm looking for a meaning title.

anybody here knows what he is teaching ?????

thanks
He calls it Jun Bao.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
He left Parker after less than a year of study

But he earned a black belt in that short period? Had he studied EPAK under another one of Ed Parker's students before going to study at the source?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
But he earned a black belt in that short period?

Yes.

Had he studied EPAK under another one of Ed Parker's students before going to study at the source?

No.

During that time period and previous, it was not unusual for Americans to receive black belts in less than a year of study in this country and especially in the military while stationed overseas. This accounts for the basis of most concepts of American Arts being simple "kick punch" based with mass competition and sparring being the measure of knowledge and skill. Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris, and other well known Americans all received black belts in less than a year while their Asian counterpoints took many years to obtain the same status.

True knowledge was, and is still not as readily available to most Westerners and even Easterners as some would like to think. At some point all true American Masters of the era spent significant time with Chinese, Filipino, and Indonesians sources to acquire knowledge and credibility with those same non Americans after previously receiving "ranking" of dubious value.

Parker, even though having received a black belt, chose to begin serious study with the Chinese like Ark Wong, Lao Bun, James Woo, Jimmy Woo, etc.

My point is, modern "ranking" was essentially created by the Japanese, and has always been nebulous at best. It fits perfectly with the cultural and business climate of Americans and has never been indicative of significant knowledge beyond superficial "kick punch" skills, especially in this country at the time and now, even in source Asian countries - and these days it doesn't even mean that. After all there are many schools now that don't "allow" sparing or physical contact for liability reasons.

Today everyone is a black belt and individuals can only be judged by their skill and knowledge from an individual perspective. Anybody can be anything and they have self created "organizations" to back up their claims, or point to lineage as if it means something. It doesn't. Let's face it, everybody can't be a top student. I went to several colleges and saw idiots who followed the curriculum and got degrees. The degree didn't make them brilliant, it only meant they did what was asked of them.

However, true Martial Science has always been, and will continue to be out of reach of the masses, just as it was intended.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
During that time period and previous, it was not unusual for Americans to receive black belts in less than a year of study in this country and especially in the military while stationed overseas.

OK, that puts it in context for me. I am familiar with teh stories of people like Joe Lewis and that generally the servicemen of the 1950s earned their black belts in 1-2 years, typically.

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Doc

However, true Martial Science has always been, and will continue to be out of reach of the masses, just as it was intended.

your martial science university functions like other universities ???
if it is different, how so??

your school opens 6 days/week and from 8am to 11 pm????

thanks

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
your martial science university functions like other universities ???
if it is different, how so??

your school opens 6 days/week and from 8am to 11 pm????

thanks

The curriculum is presented as private university courses and labs, with selected student body primarily of government law enforcement, and business professionals. Not open to the public.

OP
M

marshallbd

SO HAS ANYONE SEEN THE CONTENT OF MR IBRAO"S 5 FORMS TO BLACK PROGRAM YET? IF SO, DO TELL!!! PLEASE!!!! :asian:

OP
J

jrackley

superdave,
Grandmaster Adrian Roman is my personal Kenpo teacher. He is one of the finest martial artist that i know and i know many.If you have no self discipline and if you are the type of person that has to be treated like a child then this program is not for you.Please do not disrespect others.Grandmaster,do you understand what that means to be a GRANDMASTER?This is not a watered down program but you do have to be self motivated.If your not, then why do you practice martial arts.I guess the only place you can worship GOD is in church, i guess the only place you can run is on a track and the only way you can lift weights is in a fancy health club.Please do not be so narrow minded.If you have never tasted green beans, you have no right to give your opinion on them.
icon8.gif

OP
J

jrackley

Grandmaster Adrian Roman is my personal Kenpo teacher.He trains my wife and i. We study by video in our personal studio and we have a once a week private lesson at Chiefs studio in Dallas TX.We spent 4 years being treated like a child in a Kung Fu school.I have been with the Chief for almost 2 years and he is a Fantastic martial artist and teacher.He also teaches womans self defense and red warrior.Please do not disrespect him.Unless you know him , your opinion means nothing.

OP
M

marshallbd

jrackley said:
Grandmaster Adrian Roman is my personal Kenpo teacher.He trains my wife and i. We study by video in our personal studio and we have a once a week private lesson at Chiefs studio in Dallas TX.We spent 4 years being treated like a child in a Kung Fu school.I have been with the Chief for almost 2 years and he is a Fantastic martial artist and teacher.He also teaches womans self defense and red warrior.Please do not disrespect him.Unless you know him , your opinion means nothing.
Do you study American Kenpo, Red Warrior or both...? I don't think anyone was slammin him personally, but the fact that he is sending the "honorary Black belt" post dated WITH the videos. No testing involved.....

OP
J

jrackley

MJS said:
A video is NOT going to teach the fine points that you will get from a good Inst. If you already have a solid background, then yeah, the video might be able to give you a few things, but nothing can take the place of an actual Inst. You see this with every art out there, not only Kenpo. Its really amazing as to what lengths people will go to just to make some extra$$$$. Its really sad to think that people actually spend money on stuff like this and then think that they are actually at Black Belt level.

Mike
He offers private lessons!!!!! Please do research before quoting.

OP
J

jrackley

Michael Billings said:
I don't remember the thread, but we have vented about "Chief Adrian Roman" before.

and

It never ceases to amaze me:

Hello Sir,
We study kenpo with the Chief, yes we test, i was really upset by the way people are giving there opinion with out knowing FACTS.The distant learning program is not for everybody.If you are not self motivated, its not for you, but if you are not self motivated is kenpo for you?Yes the Chief offers private lessons and has a studio in Dallas TX.I have loved martial arts my whole life 39 years .Adrian Romans program is for me.

icon7.gif

I wonder if he is rich yet? Nuff said.
Hello sir

OP
J

jrackley

Doc said:
Yes.

No.

During that time period and previous, it was not unusual for Americans to receive black belts in less than a year of study in this country and especially in the military while stationed overseas. This accounts for the basis of most concepts of American Arts being simple "kick punch" based with mass competition and sparring being the measure of knowledge and skill. Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris, and other well known Americans all received black belts in less than a year while their Asian counterpoints took many years to obtain the same status.

True knowledge was, and is still not as readily available to most Westerners and even Easterners as some would like to think. At some point all true American Masters of the era spent significant time with Chinese, Filipino, and Indonesians sources to acquire knowledge and credibility with those same non Americans after previously receiving "ranking" of dubious value.

Parker, even though having received a black belt, chose to begin serious study with the Chinese like Ark Wong, Lao Bun, James Woo, Jimmy Woo, etc.

My point is, modern "ranking" was essentially created by the Japanese, and has always been nebulous at best. It fits perfectly with the cultural and business climate of Americans and has never been indicative of significant knowledge beyond superficial "kick punch" skills, especially in this country at the time and now, even in source Asian countries - and these days it doesn't even mean that. After all there are many schools now that don't "allow" sparing or physical contact for liability reasons.

Today everyone is a black belt and individuals can only be judged by their skill and knowledge from an individual perspective. Anybody can be anything and they have self created "organizations" to back up their claims, or point to lineage as if it means something. It doesn't. Let's face it, everybody can't be a top student. I went to several colleges and saw idiots who followed the curriculum and got degrees. The degree didn't make them brilliant, it only meant they did what was asked of them.

many schools will keep you 3 to 5 years and will extend there program so they will keep you as a customer.Do you need to go to the dojo to do jumping jacks and front kicks.How long would it take you to get your black belt if you cut out the junk?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
jrackley said:
He offers private lessons!!!!! Please do research before quoting.
I researched his website thoroughly, painstakingly weeding my way through poorly structured paragraphs, mispelled words, and partially represented ideas, hoping that I wasn't really seeing what I was seeing, and that I would find proof of it somewhere in the fine print. The only thing I can surmise by reading your posts is that you attended the same grammar school as GRANDMASTER Roman. The fact that you are impressed by him means as little as the opinions of people who have not met him. You say you have met a lot of martial artists. Who? When? What was their history? They must not have been that impressive if you think it's a good idea to ally yourself with someone who sells black belts over the internet, supposedly representing a system as complex as Kenpo, or as nebulous as Red Feather (whatever that is). To an ant, even a fine mist is a torrential rainstorm. Look around; I've used this phrase in other threads to question the evaluative capacity of the speaker/writer (you, in this case).

MJS is a nice guy who makes responsible posts within the boundaries of courtesy and reason. I do not. I feel strongly about what a black belt is/should be (see my posting on the 'Master flunks everybody' thread), and Mr. Roman's offerings disgust me. He claims, within words of each other, to send you a Parker Kenpo black belt, on his honor as a Native American, to keep you out of lousy schools. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that more people don't catch the multiple layers of ridiculous ideas posited in this presentation.

Either a Parker belt is completely worthless compared to schools where you actually attend a class after cutting a check (even if they only teach karate-robics), or the whole thing hinges on his honor as a Native American (which means he either isn't one, or there is no such entity as Native American honor)...it's such a twisted foolery of absurd representations, that peeling it apart is like looking for the blunt end of a circle.

A fool and his money are soon parted. If you would like to continue training with a guy who is so cognitively scattered that he can't even make an internally consistent offering while shystering people out of their cash, then God Bless You...somebody has to be the sheep, or the world wouldn't need shepards. But if you choose to advocate for his reprehensible behavior (try a dictionary...you may have seen one in school, once), you should know there are people here who feel passionately about preserving the integrity of the arts; at least the ones with which they have a connection. There are a bunch of people here with better minds and cleaner histories than mine; with cutting insights & first-hand information; sources who have trained hard for their learnings, and do not suffer fools well. Particularly those selling black belts over the internet.

I have made a lot of mistakes in my lifetime; trained with a lot of fools thinking it was a good idea at the time. I have also had the pure luck to train with some true gems, and I can provide you the names of the fools and the gems in an PM if you like. My point is, after driving several lemons and several awesome street machines, you get a feel for a lemon when you see it (gee, which should I pick for the free car...the Gremlin, or the Porsche?). GRANDMASTER Roman with his black belts through the mail? I most strongly vote "lemon".

Sincerely,

Dr. Dave

wisdomstrikes

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey jrackley, can you tell me more about Adrian Roman?
I have heard so many stories about his man.
-Wisdomstrikes

OP
J

jrackley

Joe said:
I wouldnt be interested in anything like that, but I have purchased Videos opn certain weapon forms or a perticular Kata I was interested what is the end difference both instructors are making money on "home schooling". Any opportunity to train is better than nothing, maybe thats all they have in area.
Thank you Joe.You guys are misinformed , to get your black belt certification you do have to test with the Chief.Its not easy, you have to be self motivated and really want it .Mr Roman has 38 years of martial arts training and in my opinion is one of the best!

Latest Discussions