Another Get your Kenpo Blackbelt at home.

OP
S

Shiatsu

I don't see the big fuss. Doc won't give rank out over videos which is a good move. Thyen others will. It isn't that complicated folks.:soapbox:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Except the wording has nothing to do with this thread, particularly AFTER an explanation of intent, "having it both ways" is an inappropriate suggestion.

OK Buddy, I know you don't want me to start checking your posts for spelling, grammar, and content. I just answer posts, sometimes from a laptop half sleepy from work while on the go. I don't spell check and trust that I will never be so far off that the core of what I am saying will be lost due to a misplaced letter or two. You're being "rediculous" and "abserd" with a dash of preposterous. Additionally in some of my research I have come across a study that under the circumstances you may find interesting.

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Spell check that Buddy. ;)

OK. Doc. I wasn't trying to pick on you too much. But you always spell "rediculous" that way.

I thought I was pretty clear about my understanding of this issue as well. I agree with your position but I see how Mr. Parsons, and especially a casual reader could have drawn his conclusion.

For what it is worth, I have found that the more a Thread becomes a Soap Opera, the less effective it is.

I didn't see where you explained your intent prior to his post, but I confess I may have missed that. I do try to treat threads as independent entities so I hope you were not referring to something that happened in another thread.

And of course, the fact that you can spell poorly and still communicate your point does not negate the need for spelling properly. By this logic, "Motion Kenpo" as a sloppy execution of "SL4" would still get it's point across as well.

I took some liberties teasing you about spelling because you make such strong cases for precision in Kenpo and SL4 and because you are a Doctor. I didn't mean to be cruel and I see now that I am crossing over the line, but I am only trying to apply logic. I am not insulting you personally. Anyone can make a mistake or a spelling error an in my own post I admitted as much when I said I'd use Dictionary.com myself and I just did use to check "independent" for whatever that is worth.

I am not trying to be disrespectful, and this may even be my last post on this board, but I don't see the logic of arguing that SL4 can not be done "imprecisely" but it is OK to only spell a word correctly relative to the first and last letter.

Equation Formula, Alphabetic and Numeric Rearrangement Principles (if I got that right) notwithstanding of course.

I'm going to say in advance that I think I may have failed in my effort to politely disagree with you on some of this, Doc, but I hope not.
:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
This seems to be getting a bit heated. Everyone count to 10 or as high as you can if it isn't that high. I usually get to 6 before I get stuck. Let's calm down, quit attacking people and get it back on topic. Doc has a tape, I can't comment on it, I haven't seen it. Mr. Tatum has tapes, I have seen them, I can comment. What I have seen of those makes them seem to be a very good reference. As someone else pointed out, if nothing else, I can draw ideas from them. My own instructor has sent me video of things he tried to explain that I was having trouble with. When we got together, we went over them again. I personally feel that an unskilled martial artist cannot learn an art by watching a video. I feel that a skilled martial artist or instructor can get new ideas and new insights from videos. In reality, the videos are a good reference. They are not a substitute for a teacher.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall
OK. Doc. I wasn't trying to pick on you too much. But you always spell "rediculous" that way.

I thought I was pretty clear about my understanding of this issue as well. I agree with your position but I see how Mr. Parsons, and especially a casual reader could have drawn his conclusion.

For what it is worth, I have found that the more a Thread becomes a Soap Opera, the less effective it is.

I didn't see where you explained your intent prior to his post, but I confess I may have missed that. I do try to treat threads as independent entities so I hope you were not referring to something that happened in another thread.

And of course, the fact that you can spell poorly and still communicate your point does not negate the need for spelling properly. By this logic, "Motion Kenpo" as a sloppy execution of "SL4" would still get it's point across as well.

I took some liberties teasing you about spelling because you make such strong cases for precision in Kenpo and SL4 and because you are a Doctor. I didn't mean to be cruel and I see now that I am crossing over the line, but I am only trying to apply logic. I am not insulting you personally. Anyone can make a mistake or a spelling error an in my own post I admitted as much when I said I'd use Dictionary.com myself and I just did use to check "independent" for whatever that is worth.

I am not trying to be disrespectful, and this may even be my last post on this board, but I don't see the logic of arguing that SL4 can not be done "imprecisely" but it is OK to only spell a word correctly relative to the first and last letter.

Equation Formula, Alphabetic and Numeric Rearrangement Principles (if I got that right) notwithstanding of course.

I'm going to say in advance that I think I may have failed in my effort to politely disagree with you on some of this, Doc, but I hope not.
That's why I hate the internet. Nobody can tell when you're joking. I hoped the happy winking face would let you know however.
Doug as much as we have communicated, you should know better. Stop being "rediculous."

No Mr. moderator, it is not getting heated, you are simply misreading a "rediculous" situation.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sent you an email re: this and having Prof. Joe Lansdale in for a seminar later this month.

I hope everyone takes this exchange with a touch of salt. Maybe some pepper, garlic, & limes for the beer.

-Michael

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc:

Thanks. As you allude to, even a "happy winking face" can be misread over the internet where almost all the non-verbal elements of human interpersonal communication are missing.

Much like contact is missing from video instruction.
:eek:
How's that for steering back on topic?
:D

And I agree with Doc again, I think Seig over reacted. I was nervous that it took me 910 posts to draw a Moderator Warning. I'm glad that both Doc and I agree there is no need for one.

By the same token, I much prefer Seig to jump the gun in favor of caution so let me be clear that while I don't think we needed a warning, I'm glad he gave one when he thought we needed one. I hope that makes sense.

This thread now has proved to me another example of the Excellence of MartialTalk regarding the level of contact one can have with knowledgeable "seniors," the quality of the information available, how it is organized and how much care is given to keeping everything civil.

Thanks to everyone. No kidding. This could have gotten out of hand, but instead it went very well. Thanks Doc. I was going to email you but I wanted to be sure to make a good case in public so people could see me approach, get into, and hopefully get out of hot water. I will probably email you now.

And you too, Mr. Billings. Thanks.

P.S. Doc. My Mom and Grandfather used to use the word "Buddy" when they argued and although I tried not to let that push any buttons, it may have and may have contributed to me misreading or ignoring the "winking face."

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
its not a mod warning unless its phrased like so:

MOD WARNING:

<text of warning>

<name of mod>
MT MODERATOR

otherwise, its just a user making a comment. we try to make it clear when we're being official.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doc:
My Mom and Grandfather used to use the word "Buddy" when they argued and although I tried not to let that push any buttons, it may have and may have contributed to me misreading or ignoring the "winking face."
Watch it Buddy.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Watch it Buddy.

I take it that ;) is the response you are looking for?
:shrug:

We are definitely off topic now. :eek:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
its not a mod warning unless its phrased like so:

MOD WARNING:

<text of warning>

<name of mod>
MT MODERATOR

otherwise, its just a user making a comment. we try to make it clear when we're being official.

Thanks Nightingale.

Nevertheless, even though it was not any kind of official action, I do appreciate that Seig jumped.

OP
M

marshallbd

Originally posted by satans.barber
What kind of egits send off for this rubbish!? The only people they're kidding are themselves, surely you'd have to be pretty dim to be taken in by it?

If they want a black belt that bad they should just go buy one for two quid in a martial arts shop, it'd be less of a rip-off than those distance learning courses!

Ian (black belt grading in 8 weeks, 6.5 years training for it)
Video training as far as learning the techniques might help someone who can only train with qualified instructor once per month....Like myself....I wouldn't wear or display a Black Belt given to my via mail but I would utilize the tapes for training purposes to keep me refreshed and ready for my next training. I utilized this method when I was training in Shotokan because I could only go to 2 classes per month because of military obligations. It helped my to learn the forms much quicker than if I tried to remember them from class to class. So for my 2 cents video does have it's value and worth...

Respectfully

Beau

OP
M

marshallbd

Originally posted by Michael Billings

Nothing is wrong with "distance learning" per se, rather it is the $995 Black Belt I object to, and a false sense of security you get when you graduate from this type of program. Once again reference my earlier post with the Black Belt Pledge.

Oss
-MB
I wonder what you think of this programs worth if you use the "optional " testing that Chief does offer? And while I am on the subject, does anyone know about James Ibrao's 5 Forms to Black? If so anythoughts about that.....

Thank you

OP
M

marshallbd

]
So how do you spell it?

OP
M

marshallbd

[ By this logic, "Motion Kenpo" as a sloppy execution of "SL4" would still get it's point across as well.
So what is this SL4? Please don't kill me I am very new to Kenpo and I have no Idea what a large number of the terms are....so be kind and share the knowledge!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
M

marshallbd

Originally posted by superdave
When is the kind of stuff gonna stop? This guy is claiming that you can obtain your Blackbelt in American Kenpo is 365 days or less, following his program?

More watering down Kenpo for a few bucks.

http://www.adrianroman.com
Has anyone actually seen his tapes? The Public Library has a program where they will buy items that are requested for patrons to use. I just submitted a request for them to get his yellow belt tape. I'll post a quick review of the tape if they actually buy it....

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

after looking at James Ibrao's web site, i don't know what he really teachs.?? kung fu or AK???:confused: :confused:

if he doesn't call his art AK or kung fu, what his art is all about ??? i'm looking for a meaning title.

anybody here knows what he is teaching ?????

thanks

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
after looking at James Ibrao's web site, i don't know what he really teachs.?? kung fu or AK???:confused: :confused:

if he doesn't call his art AK or kung fu, what his art is all about ??? i'm looking for a meaning title.

anybody here knows what he is teaching ?????

thanks

James Ibrao Stuff!

Latest Discussions