San Jose Martial Arts

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine (who I met on this board, actually, but NEVER posts) lives in san jose and has suddenly realized her school is not right for her. While she asks and asks to learn the techniques and katas, and she does, the rest of the school seems to be content simply exercising during class. (jogging, sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, etc.) She has expressed sentiments of annoyance with higher ranking students who have bad form and bad attitudes, as well as students who progress too quickly. (A brown belt in a year?) This same brown belt admits to still working on the basics of kicking and punching, and only knows the first 4 yellow belt techniques.

Basically, this is not her first school, and she says she seems to keep picking the wrong ones, and now that she is looking again, she cannot tell the difference.

She is a member of MT and will read your responses herself, and was looking for good martial arts schools in the san jose area, any style. (altough I don't know why she wont post this herself - embarrassment?)

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If she's looking for a more self defense oriented system and school, I would recommend this one:

Bono's JKD and Kajukenbo
901 N 8th Street
San Jose, CA 95112

Call us
(408) 420-2584 Cell
(408) 298-2663 Office
Email Sigung John Bono
[email protected]

We stress the four ranges of fighting, kicking, punching (boxing), trapping and grappling. Our approach is very progressive, using what works best from whatever art it's from. Kajukenbo is our base because of the toughness and tenacity it instills. We also use JKD concepts, Western Boxing, Thai, Savate, Lameco, Brazilian Jujitsu, Shoot, Sambo and a variety of other arts. The training is very realistic and street oriented.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thr Fri Sat
Depends on
Schedules 8:00p - 9:00p
9:00p - 11:00p 8:00p - 9:00p
9:00p - 11:00p No Class Depends on
Schedules

Kajukenbo classes are Monday thru Thursday from 8:00pm to 9:00pm Equipment
Boxing class is Monday from 9:00pm to 11:00pm Equipment
Kicking class is Tuesday from 9:00pm to 11:00pm Equipment
Stick and Knife class is Wednesday from 9:00pm to 11:00pm Equipment
Trapping class is Thursday from 9:00pm to 11:00pm Equipment
Weekend classes vary, weekend classes are usually Grappling on Sunday at 10:00am Equipment

Since we don't have a weekly Grappling class we try to incorporate Grappling into the midweek classes whenever possible.

Classes are not restricted by age or skill level, anyone can attend any class.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Inayan Eskrima is a good system and is headquartered there. You can also find Uechi-ryu Karate in San Jose.

It's a big city--you can find almost anything. Plus, it's only an hour to San Francisco, which is great for the CMA.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
currently american kenpo, also has some tkd background

EDIT - also previously trained in shaolin kempo

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
currently american kenpo, also has some tkd background

EDIT - also previously trained in shaolin kempo

It's ashame. Kenpo is currently becoming the king of the McDojo, soon to surpass the Olympic TKD schools. That is why I have a new school that I am starting at tomorrow. My old school was turning into daycare, so I left and have been out of it for a few years. The new school is a Parker/Planas lineage school. Small class sizes, personal instruction, and the why and the how of the technique is explained in detail. Best of all the rank is earned. Have her check out the kenponet's school directory.

HKF

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing you didn't mention is if this person wants to stick with a similar system, or is looking for something different. If she wants something different, she might check out Wing Lam's school in Sunnyvale, which is close to San Jose. He teaches Northern Shaolin, Hung Gar, Wing Chun, and Sun style Tai Chi. Maybe some others as well. My sifu knows him well, and has a lot of respect for him. I have met him, and have competed against his students in forms competition at the UC Berkeley tournament every April. They have some good stuff.

He is also a big dealer in martial arts equipment, and has a website: http://www.wle.com/

She might want to check him out.

Latest Discussions