Cool video, IMHO

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A student forwarded this to me. I'm and artist, art/ceramics teacher and martial artist. Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool. Hope you guys like it too.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool video, I like the concept but if I were to offer one piece of constructive criticism; it's a bit hard to see what is actually going on so maybe it might be better if the effects were dialed back a bit. Just my opinion.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was terrific. Trippy, too. :)

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cool video, I like the concept but if I were to offer one piece of constructive criticism; it's a bit hard to see what is actually going on so maybe it might be better if the effects were dialed back a bit. Just my opinion.

Yeah. Probably right, but as an old school artist who worked with wood, clay, metal, etc. I am not up on this CG stuff so I'll hold my critique.. But I did like it overall.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last time I studied art was in high school nearly 30 years ago. I got an A in every art class except for one time when I got a B because the teacher was an idiot.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will suggest to break at the end of each combo. It make no sense to combine

- punch to the east, and
- punch to the west.

It will make sense to combine

- kick low, and
- punch high.

This way, the art will have "combat" value and not just "good for looking". It will be very pleasant to see a nice flow of a good "combo".

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
John, I doubt if whoever made this will ever read anything we post. BTW I'm not sure that I could read "combat value" in anything so abstract anyway. And it does seem to be based on a single person moving as though doing forms.

Actually it reminds me of a work by the early 20th C. Futurist, Umberto Boccioni, specifically his bronze piece, Unique Forms of Continuity in Space. From what I've read, Boccioni was using traditional static media (cast bronze) but attempting to suggest a human form in continuous movement using repeated echos of each part of the figure to suggest a "tracing" effect.

By contrast when I slept through art history in high school (yeah, I went to a prep school where they taught stuff like that) I remembered this work 'cause it reminded me of some kind of warrior cyborg or something! :D

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...n_Space',_1913_bronze_by_Umberto_Boccioni.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I could read "combat value" in anything so abstract anyway. And it does seem to be based on a single person moving as though doing forms.
In your clip, I can see sometime the arms are moving but the legs are not. I do believe it will have "great value" to have some clips to record combo sequence such as:

- a side kick followed by a spin back fist.
- 5 straight punches in a sequence with footwork.
- a hip throw followed by an inner hook take down.
- an elbow lock followed by a shoulder lock.

Such clips can help beginners to understand the body flow/coordination in combo sequence (such as hand coordinate with foot, elbow coordinate with knee, ...). It will be easier to tell whether your leg and you hand start to move at the same time, and also stop at the same time. When your feet stop moving but your hand/hands is/are still moving, you know you have to work harder on your "body unification".

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually it reminds me of a work by the early 20th C. Futurist, Umberto Boccioni, specifically his bronze piece, Unique Forms of Continuity in Space. From what I've read, Boccioni was using traditional static media (cast bronze) but attempting to suggest a human form in continuous movement using repeated echos of each part of the figure to suggest a "tracing" effect.

By contrast when I slept through art history in high school (yeah, I went to a prep school where they taught stuff like that) I remembered this work 'cause it reminded me of some kind of warrior cyborg or something! :D
'Unique_Forms_of_Continuity_in_Space',_1913_bronze_by_Umberto_Boccioni.jpg
Thanks for that --- not forgetting Duchamp's Nude Descending a Staircase (No.2):
duchamp2a.jpg

Latest Discussions