American Kids

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Utterly concur with that latter observation, my friend.

An addition to that which we are seeing over here is the use of lethal weapons as a first option in confrontations.

I will not try to pretend that weapons were never used in fights or disputes in years gone by.

After all, I have seen bike chains, nunchaku, crowbars and knives used in pitched battles in the street. I have been shot at (because I was with the wrong person at the wrong time) and had a shotgun literally stuffed up my nose when I walked through the wrong door at an inopportune moment :eek:.

So I'm not speaking of a rose-tinted past full of Paladins :D.

However, to use a weapon as a first resort in a one-on-one fight was a cause for enduring shame. To use one if the other guy did not pull one first, the same. To have your mates beat up someone who had beaten you in a fair fight was likewise a stigma that stayed for ever.

How did this get away from us to the extent that we have 'teens knifing each other to death in the streets as if it was no more than a video game?

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I was a kid (if we'd had videos) I'd never have made that statement and if I had I'd have been whacked on the bottom and sent out anyway. Times change I suppose and not always for the better

Haha, are you sure our moms didn't know each other?

The first thing I usually heard in the morning was "Get out of this house and don't come back until noon".

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen stats either way on this one, so let's say it's just my perception. Be that as it may, as a parent, there is no way I'm letting my kids run loose through the neighborhood. At least, not until they've grown to be relatively responsible teens. I live in a fairly quiet neighbourhood, but there are still some "elements" I'm very leary about. We've had our fair share of front page news stories around here ... forgive me if I'd like to keep my kids from becoming one of them. ;)

How will they learn to be responsible teens if they're never given the opportunity to learn and make mistakes?

I've never counseled complete abandonment of kids... but somehow, growing up, we knew to avoid the yard where the crazy lady lived or the house full of "bad kids." If you teach your kids right and pay attention to them -- they'll make mistakes, but they'll be mistakes that they and you will recover from.

Consider that I almost certainly see more of the worst of the world than you -- even in the best of neighborhoods. I'm a working cop, and a full-time gang investigator. I've been in neighborhoods where we left someone with the cars, and in neighborhoods where the cost of the cars wouldn't make the down payment on the houses while chasing bangers. I've found one theme throughout my career: parents who lay down rules and hold their kids to them and are involved AS PARENTS in their lives seldom have much to worry about, even when their kids are out of sight. But I've also noticed something else; parents who are too involved with their kids and don't give them room to grow up have kids who don't grow up and don't become contributing and useful members of society. Or at least they don't without some very rude shocks and awakenings.

The world hasn't changed. But our response as a society has. Nearly 40 years ago, when I was a kid, if I was caught doing something stupid or going somewhere I shouldn't -- somehow my folks knew before I got home. If they didn't come collect me... Today, many people won't even tell their neighbor's kids to get out of the road before they get run over by the rapidly approaching bus because they're afraid of being accused of something by the neighbor. Or because "it's not their job" or "that culture gives kids more leeway..."

Don't let false fears deprive you and your kids of the joys of growing up, experiencing the world. Learn the facts, teach your kids to handle life, and accept that some of those lessons just may have some bumps or scars attached.

Of course, since I don't have kids of my own, it's easy for me to say this. You're welcome to do as you choose -- or at least until your kids become my professional problem.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On topic, forcing schools to serve actual food and to eliminate the kick backs that the school districts receive from Coke/Pepsi/Crap food vendors is a real start. I saw energy drinks being sold in machines at the local high school.

Many school districts are beginning to serve healthy foods, and to remove these junk food machines from the school grounds. A step in the right direction.

Very good point, I forgot to mention that.
At the same time, one can always pack their kid's lunch and not give them money for the crap machines.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Very good point, I forgot to mention that.
At the same time, one can always pack their kid's lunch and not give them money for the crap machines.
LOL Darth, okay.

Kids, if they don't pack a lunch, should have healthy options at school. I'm not saying that they should take pizza off the menu. I'm saying, they should have a salad bar, too... maybe some fresh fruit. Real food. Chicken that hasn't been fried. You know, options.

Many school districts throughout the country only offer processed crap. It's no wonder we have fat kids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for parental accountability, but (legality aside) if we put cigarette machines in the high school lunchroom, would we really be surprised if more students started smoking? It's simple human nature.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
will recover from.

if I was caught doing something stupid or going somewhere I shouldn't -- somehow my folks knew before I got home. If they didn't come collect me... Today, many people won't even tell their neighbor's kids to get out of the road before they get run over by the rapidly approaching bus because they're afraid of being accused of something by the neighbor. Or because "it's not their job" or "that culture gives kids more leeway..."

You must have grown up in the same neighborhood. Especially during the summer months, My Mom as well as all the other mom's in the would tell us to go outside and play. We would be outside most of the day till lunch then be sent back out till dark. We would run, bike, build forts, play football, basketball, softball etc. But if something went wrong you could knock on any door and get help. Conversely if you misbehaved then Mom would know before you got back home. If it was real bad you got a spanking.

AJPerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always thought Aussie Kids were fit but that is changing quickly.

I agree that the schools don't push exercise enough, nor do most parents. I think the best thing for us is to grab hold of the kids that come into class and show them what to do. Don't hand out pushups as a punishment, they should be looked at positively not negatively.

Sure, kids souldn't be lifting heavy weights while their bones are growing but they can do bodyweight exercises, whatever their bodyweight is, their bones are used to it. Simple things like crab walking, duck walking, bear walks, pushups, situps, lunges, bridging, wheelbarrow races, swinging on monkey bars... can all be mixed into quick activities in class.

Just do what you can to help those that will accept it.

ChadB

White Belt
Reaction score
My .02 is our kids are in miserable shape. I agree with an earlier post that stated its up to us to close that gap. I totally agree. That being said, at my last bjj academy we had a HUGE influx of new students due to all of the MMA promotion/glorification thats been going on the last few years.

These kids were so out of shape that most were near to puking just after the warm-up. Needless to say, all dropped out after less then a month.

It's tough because you don't want to lower your standard to get new people in, but if these kids are the client base and for you instructors, bottom line its a business, something needs to be done.

On top of this general stripping of P.E. from the curriculum, we're not allowing our children to face challenges. I remember back in school some of the most powerful memories I have are from overcoming some obstacle.

How are we preparing our children to face the world when we keep removing the natural stumbling blocks that should more appropriately be called "opportunity blocks."

"But I did reach level 70 on WoW so that means something right?":)

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What bugs me to no end is that I get a lot of single mothers and fat children who come to be because the mom claims they need a positive male role model in their life, but when I actually challenge the kid, the parent pulls the kid from the program. It scares me, really. Seeing a kid 3 quarters my size and 1 quarter my age that weighs more than I do. These kids are being set up by their parents for failure, and probably death at an early age.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
LOL Darth, okay.

Kids, if they don't pack a lunch, should have healthy options at school. I'm not saying that they should take pizza off the menu. I'm saying, they should have a salad bar, too... maybe some fresh fruit. Real food. Chicken that hasn't been fried. You know, options.

Many school districts throughout the country only offer processed crap. It's no wonder we have fat kids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for parental accountability, but (legality aside) if we put cigarette machines in the high school lunchroom, would we really be surprised if more students started smoking? It's simple human nature.

I agree that school lunches should not be crap and candy, I am all for schools that put healty meals on the menu. I see no reason that soda machines and snack machines should be in schools.
My son goes to a school where they have some pretty healthy merals and snack choices and I consider him lucky, but if this was not the case, He'd be bagging his lunch and he would not be giving money for the crap and soda machines.