American Kids

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't realize it was world wide. But that does make more sense.
Everyone can get a playstation (which I love! by the way)

Being Nintendo generation, I still think that a Society sets the acceptable standards for children on many levels. They are the way we allow and accept them to be.
If parents are dropping the ball, and schools are dropping the ball too; then who needs to pick up the ball? (don't say Government, or I'll come out swinging!)

We've got many kids in our neighborhood that play and ride bikes all day, they don't come to class because they're broke. (although they really want to come, and have been to class a couple of times. until we asked them to start paying.) Their parents don't come to class, have never been!
What should we do with this willing kiddo's?

Turn them down for kung fu classes and excersize (and hopefully a wee bit of philosophy) because their parents, or school isn't involved and kids don't make a paycheck?
I'm thinking of teaching some for free. ;)

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What should we do with this willing kiddo's?

Turn them down for kung fu classes and excersize (and hopefully a wee bit of philosophy) because their parents, or school isn't involved and kids don't make a paycheck?
I'm thinking of teaching some for free.

Apply for a grant. I've been thinking about this myself, but it seems so daunting.:uhoh:

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is why I started my son in karate at 5 years old. At the time we lived in the desert, and during the summer it is simply too hot to play outside. So MA was a great option because it is an excellent work out, and is fun for the kids, (IF you have an instructor who is good with kids) but it is inside with A/C. From karate he moved to Shou Shu, and when we moved, into BJJ. He loves it, we practice it together, it's just a win-win.

I think there is another dimension to this that gets overlooked. Our kids have big emotional problems these days. I think that in a large part this is due to the fact that they don't get an opportunity to work off their excess energy. Anyone who has kids knows that they are little balls of pure energy. If they don't ever let off any steam, it causes big problems for them, and not just physical problems.

I let my boys play video games, I play with them, and we enjoy them. But the amount of time they get to do that is very limited. I would also rather read them a book when it's time for a little down time, rather than them being pasted to the electronic pacifier.

I think the problem at the core of the issue here, like others have said, is the laziness of the PARENTS. It's just so much easier to sit them in front of the boob tube...

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But again, if the parent is over weight and underfit, they're not going to get it, and they're not in a position to be much help.

My teenage son is thin, a martial artist, and reasonably fit, but when I come home from work to find he's been video gaming all day, I haul out MY OWN bicycle, and tell him to turn off the games, he's coming with me. With the obesity epidemic in America, most parents can't do that themselves.
But you could take teh easy road and just let it happen but you have made the choice to make things happen and not wait for them to happen. Other people wait their whole lives for things to just happen and it doesn't work that way.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If parents are dropping the ball, and schools are dropping the ball too; then who needs to pick up the ball? (don't say Government, or I'll come out swinging!)

Uh... who do you think is running the schools in a fashion that made them drop PE in the first place? I teach in a middle school - and these kids need physical activity desperately - but PE is one of the many classes cut because it's not tested to see if a school is meeting NCLB standards - and at a great detriment to our society - both from the implications for health services (teaching good habits early is much cheaper than providing care later) and because students are considerably less well-rounded than they used to be.

I'm thinking of teaching some for free. ;)

Apply for a grant. I've been thinking about this myself, but it seems so daunting.:uhoh:
Applying for a grant is certainly one possibility. You might also check with some of the public schools in your area (you may have to go to the district administration office) and see if you can teach in the school after the school day ends, when the after-school activities occur. Just be aware that there are some liability issues that may be specific to that district that you'll have to sort out carefully first.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do have to admit that I myself am probably considered OBESE, I am 5'11 and my weight is approx. 215. According to the outdated height weight scale. I am supposed to be 165-170. SO I am almost 50 pounds overweight. I am capable of doing many things , I train in KungFu and my cardio does suck, but I have plenty of strength and fair flexibility. My problem was a desk job and eating **** food everyday and no excercise for almost a decade. I also smoked 1-1.5 packs of cigs a day. I started learning poor eating habits from my parents. My father eats great , but my mother eats horrible and I was lazy so I of course took the easy way and now have a horrible diet. I have tried eating so many "healthy" things, fruuits , fish , veggies etc..... I can't stadn the taste. I am at least trying to do something about it. Kids today, have so many problems with them , that are brought on by poor parenting and if a kid is shy , boom he either has ADD, ADHD, BIPOLAR disorder etc.... This generation in my opinion is pathetic. They just create a medical disorder for their deficiency, take a pill and then supposedly their behavior is now ok. People can't understand that it is all in their heads , and that they need to think around the issues , and just go get it done !

This generation is the "whiner" generation. Kids cry about everythign now adays , and for whatever reason they are getting it. If I ever have kids , I hope I am lucky enough one day, I plan to raise them old school. None of thsi time out BS. That is why we are going down the road we are. More and more instant gratification is required. Anything that requires effort isn't attempted. Now keep in mind I am not saying everyone is like that, however it is a stereotype for a reason. If enough people in a demographic are doing it then it must have a ring of truth to it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That last sentence resonates very strongly, Bowser.

You see it in koryu martial arts classes when those that join and stay, once the hard work is revealed, tend to be older people.

The odd thing is that a youngster in front of a game will pour hours of effort and concentration into it because of the sense of relatively short-term reward and competition with their fellows.

If we could get Real Life (TM) to follow the same model for something useful to society we'd be quids in :D.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you imagine what some of these kids could potenitally do if they put the same amount of effort into their physical well being and mental well being as they do into text messenging, IM, or Video games. WOW the possibilities that are going to waste.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If we could get Real Life (TM) to follow the same model for something useful to society we'd be quids in :D

I'll just assume that "quids in" is a good thing???
(sorry, I'm American, it's a general disability)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D Sorry for the colloquialism :eek:. "Quids in" does indeed mean "Doing very well".

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can not believe how many over weight kids under 10 let alone high school age you see! the other thing is that things like tag in a lot of school systems are not allowed .. again political correctness gone berserk!
Also when i was a kid we got told .. "turn off the tv and go do something .. or we will find you something to do...like weed the garden and mow the lawn or clean up the job sight.. ( and for some of you who didn't have my parents.. no there was no pay for all that!!) so we went out and rode bikes and played kick the can and hide and go get them and ran up the hills and dug forts.. we were fit.. but most kids I see today are not.
to much time watching TV and playing video games.. and parents bringing them junk food because they do not want to make dinner.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That last sentence resonates very strongly, Bowser.

You see it in koryu martial arts classes when those that join and stay, once the hard work is revealed, tend to be older people.

The odd thing is that a youngster in front of a game will pour hours of effort and concentration into it because of the sense of relatively short-term reward and competition with their fellows.

If we could get Real Life (TM) to follow the same model for something useful to society we'd be quids in :D.

It is so true but could never happen. Truly important things , of any kind require patience. Which is becoming less and less common nowadays with children. This is the generation of 10 year olds with IPHONES , and other gadgets. They are being taught to rely more on their brains than anything else. I am not saying that it is a bad thing but there shoudl be balance. Physical with mental. Another thing I thought of is what I feel is probably the most debilitating disease known to man. LAZINESS !!! That is the real issue. We need to find a way to counteract this. Sadly as was stated earlier , today's youth wants a quick easy reward, for minimal effort.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let's not get into the "us" and "them" mentality, especially people who don't have kids. I think we all have some responsibility in the problem and the solution.

It isn't a matter of "us" great health and nutrition conscious MAs, vs those fat lazy slobs.

Firstly, you can't blame me for having two jobs and not being able to have dinner with my kids every day. I need to work to be able to have food for my kids. Most families need a minimum of two incomes to cut it today.

Want to get rid of "government bureaucracy"? Then don't expect to have those neat little nutrition labels on your food purchases--the food/beverage industry fought like hell to kill those labels.

You want to cut your school taxes? Well, sports will be the first thing that'll go. Don't like your town and state taxes? Then don't expect parks, beaches, pools, bike lanes, hiking trails--I see this happening right here on LI, which is among the wealthiest parts of the country. Imagine how it is elsewhere.

You like "No Child Left Behind"? Well, They'll be testing the hell out of those kids, they won't be focusing on fitness.

Don't care about fixing the infrastructure? Don't care about organized local activities? Then you're right, parents will not feel comfortable sending their kids out on the street to play.

You want to retain the right to sue for every little thing? Then your school district is not going to allow after school martial arts program.

And yes, WE especially have to serve as role models. We may not all have perfect bodies, but we should be "moving" along with our kids, quitting our unhealthy addictions, and eating a moderate diet. Moderate...not ascetic, just reasonably healthy. Barring illness or infirmity, I wouldn't demand that my students run a mile, do 25 push-ups, or 50 sit-ups if I won't do the same. If my doctor was obese, smelled of tobacco smoke, and had a Big Gulp sitting on his desk, I'd run.

And please, I 'm saying this in the most sensitive and concerned manner--if you think you "hate" fruits, vegetables, lean meat, fish, and other healthy foods, you're probably still using your mother's recipes. Take a cooking class and buy some spices. If I was still cooking vegetables and fish like my mom, god bless her, I'd probably be hanging out at McDonald's too!

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's not get into the "us" and "them" mentality, especially people who don't have kids. I think we all have some responsibility in the problem and the solution.

It isn't a matter of "us" great health and nutrition conscious MAs, vs those fat lazy slobs.

Firstly, you can't blame me for having two jobs and not being able to have dinner with my kids every day. I need to work to be able to have food for my kids. Most families need a minimum of two incomes to cut it today.

Want to get rid of "government bureaucracy"? Then don't expect to have those neat little nutrition labels on your food purchases--the food/beverage industry fought like hell to kill those labels.

You want to cut your school taxes? Well, sports will be the first thing that'll go. Don't like your town and state taxes? Then don't expect parks, beaches, pools, bike lanes, hiking trails--I see this happening right here on LI, which is among the wealthiest parts of the country. Imagine how it is elsewhere.

You like "No Child Left Behind"? Well, They'll be testing the hell out of those kids, they won't be focusing on fitness.

Don't care about fixing the infrastructure? Don't care about organized local activities? Then you're right, parents will not feel comfortable sending their kids out on the street to play.

You want to retain the right to sue for every little thing? Then your school district is not going to allow after school martial arts program.

And yes, WE especially have to serve as role models. We may not all have perfect bodies, but we should be "moving" along with our kids, quitting our unhealthy addictions, and eating a moderate diet. Moderate...not ascetic, just reasonably healthy. Barring illness or infirmity, I wouldn't demand that my students run a mile, do 25 push-ups, or 50 sit-ups if I won't do the same. If my doctor was obese, smelled of tobacco smoke, and had a Big Gulp sitting on his desk, I'd run.

And please, I 'm saying this in the most sensitive and concerned manner--if you think you "hate" fruits, vegetables, lean meat, fish, and other healthy foods, you're probably still using your mother's recipes. Take a cooking class and buy some spices. If I was still cooking vegetables and fish like my mom, god bless her, I'd probably be hanging out at McDonald's too!

many great points THanks. This is why I lvoe this forum . So many bright minds here :) One thing I wanted to add was that , there has to be a best of both worlds. Kids can train their minds and their bodies at the same time. The slogan shoudl read " No FAT Child left behind"

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know, here's the weird part: OUR parents thought WE were lazy, too, hanging around, watching TV and listening to that so-called music.

I was one of those kids whose parents were telling to get out of the house and do something. But the reality is that most of our parents were sedentary. I know for a fact that when my father was my age, the most he did was walking 18 holes (yes that's exercise), and my mother did no physical activity. And after awhile, you CAN'T do much activity, and you spend most of your later years going to doctor appointments.

Some things never change.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh... who do you think is running the schools in a fashion that made them drop PE in the first place? I teach in a middle school - and these kids need physical activity desperately - but PE is one of the many classes cut because it's not tested to see if a school is meeting NCLB standards - and at a great detriment to our society - both from the implications for health services (teaching good habits early is much cheaper than providing care later) and because students are considerably less well-rounded than they used to be.

Not to take anything away from your real arguments, but it seems to me that students are more well-rounded than they used to be (hence the thread!). ;)

I see this too; my kids are very fit for their ages (must be all the karate, swimming, running, hiking and bike riding), and many of their friends are so much less so, some downright obese at 9 years old... what I find interesting is that I've talked with some of the parents and run into resistance from them about getting the kids involved in more physical activities ("they wouldn't like it" or "I've tried, but they were miserable"). Um. Okay. (What activities? For how long? and With what attitude from you? are questions that readily come to mind, but I usually swallow them to not completely alienate these folks)

As parents, at least until kids reach their teenage years, we have an extraordinary amount of control over what our children eat, how much activity they get, what sports they're in, and perhaps most importantly how they view themselves and their attitudes towards healthy and junk foods. I see so many of our friends who I honestly believe have dropped the ball on this for a variety of reasons; they're too busy, it's too difficult, they have similar bad habits they're not willing to change, etc.

Leading by example still has to be one of the best methods... otherwise you're the guy/gal sucking desperately on a cigarette and having a coughing fit while telling your kids about the dangers of tobacco.

OP
Mystic Wolf

Mystic Wolf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I posted this post to see how others felt and I see I am not alone on this thought. I am a retired Marine and I am now in the medical field and teaching Martial arts in my free time. I have three boys and a daughter who are very active and I support them in what ever they choose to do. They are mostly into baseball, football, and Martial arts.

It is up to the parents to guide our children through life and up to us as Martial Arts instructors to encourouge the parents and youth around us to workout and explore life. At work, alot of the medical staff I work with are overweight and I do my best in encouraging them to workout. So far it has been working and alot of them have joined gyms, some ask me for some workouts they can do on there own and I advise them on how to do there workouts.

We can make a difference in and out of class.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted this post to see how others felt and I see I am not alone on this thought. I am a retired Marine and I am now in the medical field and teaching Martial arts in my free time. I have three boys and a daughter who are very active and I support them in what ever they choose to do. They are mostly into baseball, football, and Martial arts.

It is up to the parents to guide our children through life and up to us as Martial Arts instructors to encourouge the parents and youth around us to workout and explore life. At work, alot of the medical staff I work with are overweight and I do my best in encouraging them to workout. So far it has been working and alot of them have joined gyms, some ask me for some workouts they can do on there own and I advise them on how to do there workouts.

We can make a difference in and out of class.
Excellent post. I have to wonder if we, as martial artists, don't have a slightly different outlook on life and activity and set a certain example for our children. Setting an example of a good work ethic is essential, however, it must be remembered that the work ethic must include physical labor as well as the everyday 60 hours a week behind a desk. Great, set the example that whatever you do for a living you must give your all. Your kids will hopefully follow your example. You must also set the example that getting off the couch and actually enjoying doing something is a necessary part of life as well.

BTW, I'm also a former Marine. Semper Fi.

Latest Discussions