bummer...

taitsechien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
so i'm in new york for the summer(i live in utah) helping my uncle build his house... his son, my cousin, wants to learn how to box... so i've been showing him how to use the heavy bag, and all the fundamental stuff... and we've been sparring a little... he's about 5'9 160 and he's 15... i'm 5'4 120 and i'm 21... i figured that i should just be able to work him pretty well, and let him play around and learn... but... he by no means beats me... but i feel like i'm struggling way to much... i know its just sparring and it shouldn't be about beating or not beating, but i've been doing martial arts my whole life... and boxing for the last six months or more...
anyway... i just need to vent...
any tips, or comments would be appreciated...

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its probably a combination of things.

When you start learning you are hungry and you are ever so eager to show how much you have learned.

That is where he is at I bet.

You could be not use to someone so enthusiastic and or never had someone so energetic spar with you.

Your sparring with him will only make you better.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tone down the contact level in sparring. Maybe switching to a new strategy when sparring.

He's heavier, taller and probably has a longer reach to his advantage. Maybe start working on a clinch game?

I think using time spent in MA as a benchmark for skill might be a little misleading. This kid could be a natural athlete.

Honestly, I think it would be a good workout for you sparring with a bigger person.

Leave your ego at the door and enjoy the simple fact that you get to spar with someone instead of fighting on the street.

Have fun with your sparring sessions and be good to your training partner; you'll both benefit from the experience.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
it sucks, but sometimes that's just the way it is. don't take it as a reflection on your skills as a fighter, but as a reflection on your skills as a coach.

you might try changing up your style a bit. if you're both new to boxing, are you both boxing with a pretty classical style? if so, try brawling just a bit (not so much you hurt him or yourself!). it's always fun & useful to pick out a boxer you like & try to imitate him. for instance, i always teach my students classic, fundamental boxing. but i can't box that way very well myself. i always have to imitate rocky marciano or joe frazier.

if none of this works, congratulate yourself on what a bright future you may have as a coach!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe this is just a woman's perspective, but size matters. In boxing, you're a superbantamweight and he's a middleweight. He's got weight and length over you, plus, he's a teenager, so by definition he's got something to prove.

I'd say, don't sweat it. Enjoy it and take it as an opportunity to work with a bigger guy who isn't out to kick your butt.

OP
T

taitsechien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
we've sparred more since i last posted... and he is definitely landing some damn good shots... i don't feel as bad about it as i did yesterday... its all in how you look at it... i know i'm teaching him some good stuff... and i can tell that he is taking some stuff away from our time together... i think its just an ego thing... i'm 2000 miles away from where i live and would like to come out here and beat everyone up... haha... he way way outreaches me... but i've sparred bigger meaner guys... and felt alot better about it... ah... what evs...

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well you mentioned that you have been studying MA your whoel life, but only started doing boxing 6 months ago ? Maybe he has a natural athletic ability in regards to boxing. The style agrees with him. SO perhaps you are being to hard on yourself. Thats liek taking a Aikido black belt , and making him Train Muay Thai. Knowledge in one area may not necesarily translate to another area. Know what I mean. Take the opportunity to try different things with a larger opponent. I honestly think liek the biggest issue here is just that your pride is wounded. My adivce to you is to leave Pride at the door. You are training together for a mutual benefit. Not to see who is better. Everyone learns at different a pace. That is a fact of life. So don't let your pride sting you and don't be jealous of his progress. Congratulate him when he lands a hit, and just work on your defense and make it harder for him. You will be amazed at how much you grow together by staying positive.

Latest Discussions