2016 accomplishments

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What have you accomplished this year?
For me...
This is my 6th year studying martial arts. This year ive been improving forms, fixing mistakes, making them smoother and occasionally noticing how to use the techniques and possible alternative uses for the techniques as well.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What have you accomplished this year?
For me...
This is my 6th year studying martial arts. This year ive been improving forms, fixing mistakes, making them smoother and occasionally noticing how to use the techniques and possible alternative uses for the techniques as well.

This is my 8th year studying Isshin-Ryu karate. I started at age 46, I am 54 now. This year, I was entrusted with my 2nd degree black belt (nidan). I have a long way to go, but I have a long time left to study, God willing.

This year, I stopped thinking so much about karate as a noun and started thinking more of karate as a verb, so to speak. Less jutso and more do. I sense deeper meaning in the do, which can be applied to all of life. I am exploring this. I still kick, punch, and block. But I also think about honor, duty, self-sacrifice, finding peace in following the path, and becoming a good example for others and how karate as a do builds those things for those who wish to follow that path. I do not claim I can do any of the things I seek; but I am seeking.

This year, I have begun training in Tokushinryu Kobudo. I hold no rank at present, just getting my feet wet, so to speak.

This year, I started in earnest to learn how to design and build vacuum tube amplifiers for my own personal enjoyment. I am far from an expert, but I have managed to get to the point where I can build an amplifier around a set of tubes and it will make music. I've restored a few record consoles from the 1950s as well.

This year, I received two spot awards from my employer, recognition for hard work and success on certain projects, which felt good.

This year, I have watched as the young students I assist with training have grown and matured and become much better karateka. It's gratifying to see.

This year, I have started the process of addressing my inner demons that make me a not very nice person online and have re-engaged with the online community on that basis, and temporarily stopped posting on Facebook, where I apparently still cannot control my rage and disappointment.

This year, I placed one of my photos for the cover of a book to be published soon.

This year, I spent my vacation in Texas with my new and only grandchild and my daughter.

This year, I took my wife to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto and had fun.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got my blue belt in BJJ (2 1/2 years in the making). I won't get even close to purple this year but I want to see if I can do a consistent 3x/wk practice and become a solid blue by the end of the year. I'm also picking up MT/boxing. I've actually never competed in any kind of tournament as an adult so trying my hand at a BJJ tournament might be on the horizon.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Still a beginner, 50 years old and only 1.5 years since I started in martial arts (JKD Kali).

2015. I Got my orange belt just recently. I think I have begun to better understand my breathing and also pacing myself which are key elements especially at my age. Had to deal with taking some minor head shots in our light boxing sparing work, which was a fear/emotional issue that I had to "face". Lastly learning how to avoid or minimize injuries (had two modest ones in 2015 I don't want to repeat).

2016 I want to try to loose some weight, more cardio (less weight lifting) and get more nimble . Controlling my flow and energy with partners. Also want to understand angles more - and working them.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well for 2015....
Planned and hosted a full-contact stickfighting event, a first for our area.
Fought in my third Dog Brothers Gathering
Participated the the Beat The Crap Out of Cancer fundraiser, and got a scar out of it as a momento. :D

Moved my class out of the community rec center into a shared dojo space and started up a youth swordsmanship class.

A good year.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Almost 2 yrs into my TKD, started at 43.

This year:

First tournament.

First time getting kicked in the nose.

Sparring seminar with some members of the Korean National Team

Recently got my spinning heel kick up to head height…..highest kick I can do so far.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This year was my 34th year of martial arts training. I was awarded my black belt in BJJ at the beginning of the year, but didn't really feel like I deserved it yet. I took that as a motivation to train harder and am now to the point where most days I kind of feel that I might possibly deserve the rank.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's my 45th year training in Martial Arts. But I haven't really done much in the last six months, injuries rearing their ugly head.
Got a lifetime achievement award from another style, just because I'm old and won't go away.
One of my students was promoted to 8th dan, he's been training for forty-one years and a friend (A grand master) promoted him. It was kinda cool. (I don't promote anyone anymore)
Did some knife grappling on and off throughout the spring.
Did some traveling and worked out with some folks I haven't worked out with since 02.
Trained several third generations this year. (trained their dad, and his dad)
I had a hell of a lot of fun on this forum. Some on here are crazy, but it's a really good kind of crazy.

Can't wait to see what next year brings.