‘aliveness’ in martial arts training

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark said:
An interesting topic on aliveness, what if your evolution requires you to walk a different path from your instructor and fellow students? Reinvent the wheel of your martial art.

Then that is what you do. Unless you are training for their benefit...

OP
Explorer

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dark said:
An interesting topic on aliveness, what if your evolution requires you to walk a different path from your instructor and fellow students? Reinvent the wheel of your martial art.

Good question. After my sensei retired and asked me to take over the dojo ... I told him about the direction I would like to take the training. He went to a couple of different seminars with me to look over the material I was talking aobut and gave his blessing. Ever since we've barely seen him. And I've gotten word back that he doesn't feel he fits in any more. It does make me sad as I consider him a good friend but at the same time the students have taken great strides in their understanding of martial arts in general and their own arts specifically.

I formed a board of advisors to help keep me honest and clear headed and they believe the best course of action is to continue on the path my Sensei OK'd years ago ... while at the same time trying to keep the door open to him out of respect and love.

My old sensei couldn't take us down this road and I've been able to find another sensei to offer assistance and blunt appraisal. It's been a boon to the school, the students and myself.

I guess if the path takes you elsewhere, you go. That being said, I would think it both kind and wise to maintain an attitude of thankfulness and respect for those who helped you move along.

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dark said:

I think so...isn't this what all the legendary masters have done...I believe there are no truely new techniques. Every technique has been done before...but how you encompass various techniques changes. Each influential master has built his system from these fundamental techniques and provided guidelines for becoming skilled.

Pants Phantom

White Belt
Reaction score
So I'm reading through this thread, laughing here and there when people take the MGB seriously with his claims to be a navy SEAL and other such things, when I stumble upon quite possibly the most rediculous statement ever by that lovable man Dark.

You say you study ninjitsu? Like ninjas and crap? Like crawling up walls an assassinating prime ministers for the Yakuza? Jesus ******* Christ man, thats the most insane thing I've ever done heard.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pants Phantom said:
So I'm reading through this thread, laughing here and there when people take the MGB seriously with his claims to be a navy SEAL and other such things, when I stumble upon quite possibly the most rediculous statement ever by that lovable man Dark.

You say you study ninjitsu? Like ninjas and crap? Like crawling up walls an assassinating prime ministers for the Yakuza? Jesus Effing Christ man, thats the most insane thing I've ever done heard.

LoL Pants you watch to much TV man... Ninjitsu/ninjutsu is basically jujitsu and stealth, not more then that except like 20+ weapons to learn. Unfortunately certain people, I won't name names, have made the art either look like a pop-ninja movie or new age Shinto school.

Pants Phantom

White Belt
Reaction score
Dark said:
LoL Pants you watch to much TV man... Ninjitsu/ninjutsu is basically jujitsu and stealth, not more then that except like 20+ weapons to learn. Unfortunately certain people, I won't name names, have made the art either look like a pop-ninja movie or new age Shinto school.

You were totally my hero for like three seconds. Way to suck.