"Alive" Martial Arts training

H

Hanzo04

like i said in a post before i believe "alive" training is very good. but i think it can work with traditional martial arts also. this "alive" training should not be limited to sport contact fighting cause all it is, is sport fighting just like UFC and all the other garbage out there. "alive" training could replace the one-step and two-step sparring techniques. when demonstrating self-defense techniques the masters would not have their student stand in the middle of the room holding his arm out trying to demonstrate a move, but instead demonstrate it in real time still using that martial arts true techniques that are apart of it's system. not slugging it out like somebody who has no home training.

tradition would still be emphasized since it teaches structure, balance, and a sylllabus for basics.

i think "alive" training in a traditional martial arts school would answer a lot of those "what if" questions for the student and give them "real" confidence.

i have more i want to explain for a later time. so what's the word? agree disagree?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
like i said in a post before i believe "alive" training is very good. but i think it can work with traditional martial arts also. this "alive" training should not be limited to sport contact fighting cause all it is, is sport fighting just like UFC and all the other garbage out there. "alive" training could replace the one-step and two-step sparring techniques. when demonstrating self-defense techniques the masters would not have their student stand in the middle of the room holding his arm out trying to demonstrate a move, but instead demonstrate it in real time still using that martial arts true techniques that are apart of it's system. not slugging it out like somebody who has no home training.

tradition would still be emphasized since it teaches structure, balance, and a sylllabus for basics.

i think "alive" training in a traditional martial arts school would answer a lot of those "what if" questions for the student and give them "real" confidence.

i have more i want to explain for a later time. so what's the word? agree disagree?

I agree!!! It can be done no matter what style/system that you study. The problem is, is that many people/styles/Masters, etc. are on a road that leaves no room to turn around. They frown upon any sort of change, because they might view it like, "Well, my style has survived the past 1000yrs unchanged and my Master and his Master and his Master have had no problems defending themselves, so why make a change?" This of course is fine! Although it may seem at times like I'm always pushing the crosstraining/alive/MMA/NHB/grappling cart...which I am, along with some other people, I have never told anyone to leave their current style for another, but to simply keep an open mind and just take a look at what else is out there. If you can take an idea that someone else does, and make a tech. better, then why not do it?

Anyway..back to your question. Again, the answer is yes, it can be done. Its just a matter or people wanting to do it.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree there should always be alive training. Spontaneity is good, fun and in my opinion an essential part of being a good martial artist.

I would , however, argue that alive training should be balanced with drills, forms, techniques, etc. to help develop new skills and to hone aquired skills.

Jeff

Latest Discussions