Alabama Schools Paddle Kids With No Way For Parents To Opt-Out

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
No need for that, duck :(. By all means say you disagree with me and why but it's not kind to call what I write "********" without finding out first what I am basing my views on.

Awwwe. Everyone is nice here so i wont say that anymore if you dont like that. I'll just say we agree to disagree. I hope thats better. :angel:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Blade :tup:.

I do confess tho' that that reaction of mine was probably a little 'thin-skinned' of me - I took what you said as being more insulting than you meant it I fear :eek:.

In my defence, certain turns of phrase are more insulting in some cultural contexts than others ... so, as always, societies to blame :lol:

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Blade :tup:.

I do confess tho' that that reaction of mine was probably a little 'thin-skinned' of me - I took what you said as being more insulting than you meant it I fear :eek:.

In my defence, certain turns of phrase are more insulting in some cultural contexts than others ... so, as always, societies to blame :lol:

Yeah. I didnt mean it as insulting.

and yeah, I'm on a internet forum. with people from god knows where. why didnt I think about the culture thing. bleh.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The US used to be #1 at putting out HS grads. Now we're number 12. We have a generation of people who feel "entitled." Kids know they don't have to follow the rules, they don't have any consequences for bad behavior. My son told the principal of one of my grandchildren that he didn't think kids should have their cells phones on them during school. The principal said he agreed, but the other parents in the district insist upon being able to call their kids any time and any place.

Generally, my 5 children feared disappointing me more than they ever feared a beating.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Back in the day, I'm sure there were teachers or nuns if you went to a religious school, that would give you a whack if you were screwing around. Hell, I remember getting a smack or 2 on the *** from my parents when I was bad, but theres a huge difference IMO, between a few whacks on the ***, and child abuse. Funny though how in todays world, the kid will threaten to call the cops on you, God forbid you smack your kid on the ***. Go figure.

So, is it safe to assume that this state approves of child abuse? I mean, if a kid was hit so bad, he was bruised......

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in the day, I'm sure there were teachers or nuns if you went to a religious school, that would give you a whack if you were screwing around. Hell, I remember getting a smack or 2 on the *** from my parents when I was bad, but theres a huge difference IMO, between a few whacks on the ***, and child abuse. Funny though how in todays world, the kid will threaten to call the cops on you, God forbid you smack your kid on the ***. Go figure.

So, is it safe to assume that this state approves of child abuse? I mean, if a kid was hit so bad, he was bruised......

I also know several examples that I witnessed then that I would classify as child abuse today. How about literally kicking a kid to the back of the class? Or slapping him upside the head? Or any of a large collection of examples I could make?

Let's not kid ourselves, ok? Plenty of abuse has happened in the name of school discipline. In our catholic school system, more than plenty actually. So unless there are safeguards in place to prevent abuse, I think the schools should not be trusted with CP in any way, shape or form. They've proven themselves to be incapable of handling the responsibility.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also know several examples that I witnessed then that I would classify as child abuse today. How about literally kicking a kid to the back of the class? Or slapping him upside the head? Or any of a large collection of examples I could make?

Let's not kid ourselves, ok? Plenty of abuse has happened in the name of school discipline. In our catholic school system, more than plenty actually. So unless there are safeguards in place to prevent abuse, I think the schools should not be trusted with CP in any way, shape or form. They've proven themselves to be incapable of handling the responsibility.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, and forgive me if I am, but upon first look, it seems to me, as if you're taking my post as actually condoning what the school is doing. Not the case at all. My point was simply that yes, back in the day, teachers, esp. in the religious schools, did whack students, and also, when I was growing up, if I misbehavied, my parents gave me a whack on the ***. Child abuse by my parents...no, IMO, theres nothing wrong with a whack.

As for this article....no, I'm not in any way, shape or form, advocating that a school today, hits a child. My comparison was simply that that state is giving the green light for teachers to hit kids, so I have to wonder, do they okay a parent beating their child?