Clinging to a segregationist past.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well...I guess we haven't come as far as some of us thought. Article below.

Regards,

Steve

Alabama clings to segregationist past

US state with racist history votes to keep 'separate schools for white and coloured children' as part of constitution

Gary Younge in New York
Tuesday November 30, 2004

The Guardian

During his inaugural address in 1963, the then Alabama governor, George Wallace, took to the steps of the state capitol and made a promise. Standing on the spot where Jefferson Davis had declared an independent southern confederacy just over 100 years before, he pledged: "In the name of the greatest people that ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny and I say: Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation for ever."

Yesterday it looked as if he might get his wish, after a referendum in the state looked likely to keep segregation-era wording, requiring separate schools for "white and coloured children" in its constitution as well as references to the poll taxes once imposed to disenfranchise blacks.

A narrow margin of 1,850 votes out of 1.38 million, or 0.13%, in a referendum on November 2, meant the state was obliged to hold a recount, which took place yesterday. But with no accusations of electoral fraud or any other irregularities, nobody last night expected the result to change.

The ballot initiative sought to remove the most objectionable elements of the state's constitution which remain, even though they have been overridden by more recent civil rights legislation. They include passages such as:

"Separate schools shall be provided for white and coloured children, and no child of either race shall be permitted to attend a school of the other race."

And: "To avoid confusion and disorder and to promote effective and economical planning for education, the legislature may authorise the parents or guardians of minors, who desire that such minors shall attend schools provided for their own race ... "

Almost 50 years since Rosa Parks was ejected from a bus in the shadow of the governor's mansion because she would not move to the back, most people thought the amendment to remove the segregation clause would pass fairly easily.

"It was more ceremonial than legalistic," said Bryan Fair, a law professor at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. "The language in the constitution was already unconstitutional and this would have brought Alabama up to date. So it was surprising that something so clear and symbolic would be even close."

Even the Montgomery Advertiser, not given to radical outbursts, backed it. "Amendment 2 is a valuable cleansing of a grievous stain on the state's image," it argued in an editorial shortly before the vote. "It should be ratified."

But powerful groups and personalities on the right campaigned heavily against it, claiming that the amendment opened the door to lawyers to sue the state and raise taxes.

They were most incensed by efforts to remove the section that denied that Alabamians had "any right to education or training at public expense". Opponents claim education is a gift from the state of Alabama, not an entitlement.

"You open up that door, that is a trial lawyer's dream, to represent clients that have unbridled opportunity for mischief in raising taxes, tampering with private and parochial schools. It's unlimited," said John Giles, president of Alabama Christian Coalition. "Activists on the bench know no bounds. It's a trial lawyer's dream."

Mr Giles's campaign was assisted by the former Alabama chief justice Roy Moore, who has become a local hero since he defied a federal court order to remove a two-ton slab of granite engraved with the Ten Commandments from the rotunda of the Alabama supreme court.

Mr Giles said he would have been happy to see the racist language go so long as the issue of education rights remained. But many in Alabama believe the taxation argument was simply a ruse for white southerners to flex their muscles, even on a symbolic issue.

After the US supreme court ordered the end of segregation 50 years ago, many white southerners simply moved their children from state schools to private academies, often referred to as "seg academies" because they effectively kept segregation intact.

Since then Alabama has provided the backdrop for some of the ugliest scenes during the civil rights era, from the bombing of a church in Birmingham that killed four little girls at Sunday school to the beating of marchers on St Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma.

"There are people here who are still fighting the civil war," Tommy Woods, 63, a deacon at Bethel Baptist church and a retired school administrator, told the Washington Post. "They're holding on to things that are long since past. It's almost like a religion."

A statute banning interracial marriage in the state was struck down only four years ago by 59% to 41%, with a majority of whites voting against the change.

This year Mr Moore's former aide, Tom Parker, was elected to the Alabama supreme court even after it became clear that he had been handing out Confederate flags while campaigning and had attended a function honouring the first grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

"It seems perfectly clear that a number of the people who voted against the amendment did so for purely racist reasons," said Mark Potok, spokesman for the Southern Poverty Law Centre, an anti-racist monitoring group based in Montgomery.

But in one of the most lightly taxed states in the nation the argument that the measure could raise the fiscal burden went a long way, some say.

"In Alabama, if an opponent can label a policy as a tax, then 99 times out of 100 the policy fails," said Prof Fair, who is an African American. "Some folks in Alabama are assiduously holding on to what they call southern traditions which are traditions of white people being superior. But racism by itself is far too simple an explanation."

Troubled past

Since Alabama was declared a sovereign and independent state on January 11 1861, it has been a hotbed of racial tensions in the US

· December 1955 Rosa Parks, a black seamstress, was arrested for refusing to give up her seat for a white passenger. Her action prompted the Montgomery Bus Boycott and earned her the title "mother of the modern day civil rights movement".

· December 1956 The US supreme court banned segregated seating on Montgomery's public vehicles. The Rev Martin Luther King Jr and Rosa Parks were the first to ride a fully integrated bus.

· May 1961 The Freedom Ride, an integrated bus trip from Washington DC, through the Deep South, was formed to test the 1960 supreme court decision prohibiting segregation on buses and trains. It was greeted with violence in Anniston and Birmingham. The Freedom Ride eventually resulted in the interstate commerce commission ruling against segregation in interstate travel.

· 1963 Birmingham bombings of civil rights-related targets, including the offices of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, the home of A D King (brother of Martin Luther King Jr), and the 16th Street Baptist Church (in which four children were killed). Governor Wallace makes a speech at the University of Alabama protesting against federally forced racial integration; Vivian Malone and James Hood register for classes as first African American students.

· March 1965 Six hundred demonstrators make the first of three attempts to march from Selma to Montgomery demanding the lifting of voting restrictions on black Americans. They were stopped by police at Selma's Edmund Pettus Bridge, the pictures of the clashes with police were broadcast across the nation and caused a surge of support for the protesters.

· March 1965 The Rev Martin Luther King led 3,200 marchers from Selma toward Montgomery in support of civil rights for blacks. Four days later, outside the Alabama state capitol, King told 25,000 demonstrators: "We are on the move now ... and no wave of racism can stop us." On August 6 1965, President Lyndon Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act into law.

· Sept 2000 Selma elects its first black mayor, James Perkins, with 60% of the vote

· May 2002 Bobby Frank Cherry is convicted of murder for his part in the bombing of Birmingham's Sixteenth Street Baptist Church on September 15 1963, in which four black girls were killed.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
whut?

I mean, whut?

And it's illegal for interracial marriage?

I say again, whut?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
But in one of the most lightly taxed states in the nation the argument that the measure could raise the fiscal burden went a long way, some say.

"In Alabama, if an opponent can label a policy as a tax, then 99 times out of 100 the policy fails," said Prof Fair, who is an African American. "Some folks in Alabama are assiduously holding on to what they call southern traditions which are traditions of white people being superior. But racism by itself is far too simple an explanation."
Money talks, humanity walks.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They were most incensed by efforts to remove the section that denied that Alabamians had "any right to education or training at public expense". Opponents claim education is a gift from the state of Alabama, not an entitlement.

"You open up that door, that is a trial lawyer's dream, to represent clients that have unbridled opportunity for mischief in raising taxes, tampering with private and parochial schools. It's unlimited," said John Giles, president of Alabama Christian Coalition. "Activists on the bench know no bounds. It's a trial lawyer's dream."

Mr Giles said he would have been happy to see the racist language go so long as the issue of education rights remained.
What a crock. Could the wording of the amendment not have been refined? I see no reason why people cannot have the right to a free education without having to treat minorities as second class citizens. What a farcical bunch of unmentionable swear laden stuff that is.

R

raedyn

Note To Self: Alabama is not the place for me. I wouldn't like it there. Don't go there, if you can help it. Under no circumstances consider moving there.

Seriously, I can't even begin to explain how this angers me.

*thinks about it a little*

To those of us who find this repugnant, we can take comfort in the fact that judicial rulings have already struck down the racist portions. They have been declared unconstitutional, and although the wording is there, it isn't enforcable.

But I still shudder to think there are still that many people who would vote against removing the outdated and discriminatory wording.

*desperately looking for a positive side*
At least it was close?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I forget what state they started out in, but two of my undergrad professors had to move to another state because the one they were originally from didn't allow interracial marriage.

I'm confused though. The article sounded like the wording in the Alabama constitution has always been there, but their schools have nonetheless integrated. So, the entire vote was over whether they should keep the segregationists wording? I just don't understand how that phrasing stayed in there when they've nonetheless integrated the schools. Did I miss something?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One more thing: wouldn't having segregated public schools, in fact, be more expensive than integrated ones? Even if the black school is, as it would probably end up, nowhere near as good as the school for white students, that's still two schools being managed in the name of segregation when one would work just as well. So, I'm not seeing how any tax argument is supporting segregation (or, in this case, leaving segregationist phrasing in the constitution.)

R

rmcrobertson

Fortunately, this article doesn't make any connection whatsoever between explicit racism, religious fundamentalism, state's rights doctrines, education and capitalism...oops, wait, yes it does.

One hopes somebody's planning to sue the living crap out of the State of Alabama.

R

raedyn

RandomPhantom700 said:
I'm confused though. The article sounded like the wording in the Alabama constitution has always been there, but their schools have nonetheless integrated. So, the entire vote was over whether they should keep the segregationists wording? I just don't understand how that phrasing stayed in there when they've nonetheless integrated the schools. Did I miss something?
Here's how I understand it:
The wording has always been in the Consitution.
The courts determined certain portions were unconstitutional, and so those portions were "struck down" - meaning they couldn't be used anymore.
No one bothered to go to the work of getting the actual words removed - until now. And it looks like this attempt to removed the (useless) wording will fail.

Does that help?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Fortunately, this article doesn't make any connection whatsoever between explicit racism, religious fundamentalism, state's rights doctrines, education and capitalism...oops, wait, yes it does.

One hopes somebody's planning to sue the living crap out of the State of Alabama.
Something about suing the living crap out of a state amuses me to no end.

:)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
Yeah, that helps, thanks.

Sweet home Alabama, my a**. Sometimes, I think that the only thing going for the South is its cooking.
A friend of mine made a "southern-style" turkey for Thanksgiving. Covered in bacon fat, and strips of bacon.

Some love it, some hate it. Southern cooking is its own thang.

(/tangent)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sigh. Seems the only good thing coming outta Alabama these days is Bubba Gump Shrimp!
Seriously, this is not gonna happen. NAACP and other human rights activists will raise hell about it. There are enough educated people in Bama (Go TIDE!) who'll fight this as well.

we hope :rolleyes:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I could just take a huge cookie-cutter and remove certain states from our union and set them afloat in the North Atlantic. Alabama is one of them. Mississippi might be another. Oh, I could get myself in sooooooo much trouble here ....

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
What a crock. Could the wording of the amendment not have been refined? .............
I think that's the point...
It seems to me that they tried to do a good thing, but the wording of the amendment got in their way. It happens a lot of times. Several of our latest ones during the last election were worded so poorly, that many did not know that by voting yes meant no, and voting no meant yes.

I blame the author's of the amendments. I think it's done in order to confuse.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are some interesting "Jim Crow" laws from North Carolina and their history. Note that we aren't that far out from an age of segregation...it happened in my lifetime. Read Howard Zinn's autobiography, "You Can't Be Neutral On A Moving Train," for a good account of this.

The first law jumped out at me. If my wife and I had lived in N.C. in 1873, we would have been violating the law. She's 1/4 Chippewa.

Jim Crow Laws: North Carolina

N.C. passed 23 Jim Crow laws between 1873 and 1957. Seven of the statutes concerned school segregation, six were related to transportation and four outlawed miscegenation. No anti-segregation laws were passed until 1963. Suggesting the difficulty in determining a person's race, a school segregation law passed in 1903 declared that no child no matter how "remote the strain" of Negro blood could be considered a white child and attend a school for white children. The state continued to pass non-compulsory attendance requirements after the Brown decision in 1956 and 1957 as a means to avoid desegregation.

1873: Miscegenation [Statute]
Prohibited marriages between whites and Negroes or Indians or persons of Negro or Indian descent to third generation.

1875: Education [Constitution]
White and black children shall be taught in separate public schools, "but there shall be no discrimination made in favor of, or to the prejudice of, either race."

1875: Miscegenation [Constitution]
Prohibited forever all marriages between a white person and a Negro or between a white person and a person of Negro descent to third generation inclusive.

1899: Railroads [Statute]
Railroad and steamboat companies to provide separate but equal accommodations for white and black passengers. Did not apply to streetcars. Penalty: A company that failed to enforce this act fined $100 per day, each day, to be recovered in action brought by any passenger on any train or steamboat who has been provided accommodations with a person of a different race.

1901: Education [Statute]
Clarified how children would be separated in public schools. The education policies followed the code regulating marriages from the 1875 Constitution, which stated that persons of Negro descent to the third generation inclusive were considered "colored."

1903: Education [Statute]
No child with "Negro blood in its veins, however remote the strain, shall attend a school for the white race, and no such child shall be considered a white child."

1907: Streetcars [Statute]
All streetcars shall set aside a portion of the front of each car as necessary for white passengers, and a rear portion of the car for black passengers. Noted that "no contiguous seats on the same bench shall be occupied by the white and colored passengers at the same time unless or until all other seats are occupied." Penalty: Misdemeanor for officer who violates this act, and may be fined or imprisoned. Passengers who violated the law could be fined up to $50 or imprisoned up to 30 days. Companies were not liable for a mistake in the designation of any passenger to a seat set apart for the other race.

1908: Education [Statute]
Prohibited black and white children from attending the same schools. Descendants of the Croatan Indians to have separate schools also.

1919: Health Care [Statute]
Mandatory that public or private hospitals, sanatoriums, or institutions which admitted colored patients to employ colored nurses to care for inmates of their own race. Law repealed in 1925.

1921: Miscegenation [Statute]
Miscegenation declared a felony.

1925: Public Carriers [Statute]
Seats on all buses to be segregated by race.

1929: Health Care [Statute]
Mental hospitals to be segregated by race.

1931: Education [State Code]
Authorized separate education facilities for the "Cherokee Indians of Robeson County" and the "Indians of Person County," formerly known as "Croatans." Denied the privilege of such schools to all persons of Negro blood to the fourth generation inclusive.

1931: Public accommodations [State Code]
State library directed to maintain a separate place to accommodate colored patrons.

1933: Prisons [Statute]
Prisons to be segregated by race.

1947: Public accommodations [Statute]
Called for racial restrictions for the burial of the dead at cemeteries.

1950: Public carriers [Statute]
Public carriers to be segregated.

1952: National Guard [Statute]
No black troops to be permitted where white troops available; colored troops to be under control of white officers.

1953: Miscegenation [Statute]
Marriage between white and Negroes or Indians void. Penalty:Infamous crime, four months to ten years imprisonment, fine discretion of court.

1956: Education [Statute]
Local school boards given the option to suspend school operations.

1956: Public accommodations [Statute]
Required all plants and other businesses to maintain separate toilet facilities. Penalty: Msdemeanor.

1957: Education [Statute]
No child forced to attend school with children of a different race.

1957: Health Care [Statute]
Hospitals for the insane to be segregated.

1963: Barred public accommodations segregation [City Ordinance]
Raleigh, N.C. repealed a portion of the city code which required racial segregation in public cemeteries.

1963: Barred residential segregation [City Ordinance]
Repealed a 30-year ordinance in Asheville, N.C., which had barred persons of different races from residing in the same neighborhood.

Regards,

Steve

T

TonyM.

Drastic problems take drastic solutions. How about cutting all federal money to the state of alabama for everything.
After seeing chain gangs in mississippi and alabama in '55 when I was three I have no use for either of those places. I would even forgo a drink on sunday when I was in airborne school because there was no way I was willingly going to phoenix city alabama.
Funny story: They say that when patton was the commanding general of ft. benning he got sick of the phoenix city police extorting money out of GI's so he rolled all his tanks up to the chattahouchie river bridge and over bullhorns commanded the people of phoenix city to release all GI's or he was going to level the town. They did.

Latest Discussions