After you learn how to defend yourself, what sustains your practice?

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can give 3 answers that cover the majority of your questions;

1.) I enjoy it recreationally, like others enjoy basketball or something, so I stick with it for the physical outlet, physical health benefits and camaraderie.

2.) What you don't use you lose. I can tell you how to deal with a fast, aggressive job cross. Once learned, its easy to say, "Parry, counter" etc... however, if you aren't doing regularly, the perceptual speed and the reflexes will not be up to par to pull it off for real.

3.) I am pretty bad a$$. No seriously, I can fight. I have done it for real many times, and I have been training off and on since I was 8. I am not scared, small or lacking athleticism. I keep fit. I am pretty good with a knife and I can shoot. And yet, I consistently come across guys within my own style, and from other arts/combatives etc, who straight scare the crap out of me. Immediately following the fear comes a rush of emotions that drive me to get better. I want to be the thing that goes bump in the night! :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are to reach
heights of extreme Excellence
Being completely without flaw
Then we must strive
to make it at least that
before we make it more
- Joe Manley​
I'm not nearly as good as he is, and he still trains, practices and learns more. If he doesn't stop -- I guess I can't either!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After you learn how to defend yourself, what sustains your practice? Why do you continue to practice MA after years and years and years? At what point do your training goals change to something more then self defense? Why would you practice your martial art for thirty years?

Great question Maunakumu! As others have said, "honing skills" "staying sharp" are certainly good reasons why I still train. I still enjoy the sweat, & learning something new from something I've done 500 times before. I enjoy teaching things I've learned to eager students. I enjoy the oddball fraternity that MA folks have with each other...most are wonderful people whom I learn from. After 28 years, I STILL want my side kick to look like my 1st instructor's side kick!!! When I was a young man, I trained to protect myself from older bullies, if need be. Now, I train so that I can protect myself from younger bullies, if need be. It calms my heart to train. It invigorates my spirit to train. I enjoy learning from my students.

Most of all, I guess I still have the same passion for it that I did when I was 14 years old. It hasn't gotten old & I still enjoy it all.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know whether I'm able to defend myself at this point (I certainly hope I am, but it hasn't be tested yet, so to say). My main reason for studying and practising this art is because I want to master it. I only have to look at my teacher moving, doing techniques and executing them on people - and then I know, that's what I want. It's not only about SD for me, it's more about the art itself.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
At what point can you truely defend yourself?
At what point of not training do these skills start to deminish?

There is always a higher peak you can climb.
(plus. Training is fun)
Luke

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
After you learn how to defend yourself, what sustains your practice? Why do you continue to practice MA after years and years and years? At what point do your training goals change to something more then self defense? Why would you practice your martial art for thirty years?

I continue to train because a) I love it, b) I enjoy working with the friends that I've made and c) there is always something to work on. IMO, it shouldn't take years to be capable of defending yourself, but the more you train, the more your skills are refined. :)

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I could likely defend myself in most nightmarish situations, there are still those thoughts of more skilled and dangerous attackers. Is it likely? No, but it is possible.

Martial arts is like insurance to me.

Also I have changed as a man and become more confident and respectful due to my training. I would like to pass this along to others some day so I plan to master the system. I gotta be a step above if I want to run my own school or club someday.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Preach it Wiggy!

Hey, I figure as long as I'm dreaming (that I'll ever 'learn how to defend myself'), I may as well give myself some new goal after that one is reached! A man's gotta have dreams.

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have found that training helps balance my life & keeps me focused.
In 1973 I first started, we lived in a rough area, I had to fight all the time, so I wanted a edge. As time went on I learned to love the training, it had become a big part of my life, any time I drifted away from it my life would lose focus. Only when I came back to training would things come together for me.
So I can only say Martial arts training has saved my life, many times in many ways.
Train Hard, Respect All, Fear None.

Latest Discussions