Absolute newbie, Portland Oregon. What are my options?

Drame22

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Thomas. I signed up for this forum to learn more about martial arts, prior to actually taking classes. I've never been in a real fight(kid fights don't count right?), nor do I have any experience with martial arts except movies such as Ip Man and Fearless. However, I have always wanted to learn and recently, I starting researching it in detail.

My personal favorite martial art is Wing Chun. Donnie Yen is famous for this style, and it was an absolute joy to watch him beat the everloving crap out of villians in Ip man and Ip man 2.

My primary goal is self-defense. I'm not the type to start fights(in fact I try very hard to reason my way out of fighting), but if one starts I would certainly like to be able to finish it. Other than that, I'm looking to lose my beer belly and quicken my reflexes. My funds are extremely limited, however I can definitely save up to buy needed equipment. My dad has cleared out a 5'x7' section of the basement for use as a workout area, and we plan to install a pull-up bar in the rafters. I also have a pretty spacious back yard if that's needed to. I'm looking to do the actual exercising at home, and the learning in class.

So here it is, layed out as best I can:

I need some sort of daily workout routine(or a weekly, work-rest-work-rest....whathaveyou) that I can do at home. I've been told jump roping is great for legs and pull ups good for arms, but that A) came from friends who may or may not know what they're talking about, and B) only covers my limbs instead of my entire body. Any thoughts or workout plans of your own? I'm 6ft, 220 pounds, and I can lift a fair amount of weight. I believe my record is 45lb barbells in each hand. Please, hold your applause at that world record, haha.

I would like to know if there are any Wing Chun classes in the Portland area or surrounding suburbs. Wing Chun would be my first choice, but other than Sambo, I don't have any idea as to what other martial arts might meet my standards.

What equipment is needed to practice in solitude? I saw Donnie Yen talking about a wooden dummy that has three 'arms' and one crooked 'leg' that he said is good for a single person to train with. Is there any validity to that?

All in all, I'm just looking for advice, preferably from Wing Chun instructors, but hey, beggars can't be choosers, right?

Thanks all, have a great one!
Drame22

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im not from that area, but have you looked around at all to see if there are any martial arts classes around there at all? There may not be any (publicized) wing chun, but if you get a good idea of whats near you, and talk to the instructors near you, that may help you decide what you want and what you need. The dummy he's talking about is most likely the mook jong, which is supposed to be useful for WC, but would want to talk to your WC instructor about that if you can. outside of that, the most important things to practice outside of classes, IMO, is simply an open place to do form work (if the style has forms, some more combative and/or sport ones dont), a partner to spar with/practice techniques with (especially in sambo, cant really practice that without a partner) and a workout area, which you seem to have :)

OP
D

Drame22

White Belt
Reaction score
I have looked into the martial arts near me. Aside from some Western sword-fighting styles, that I definitely would like to try, there's the basics like kung-fu, brazilian jiu jitsu(sp?), tye kwondo(definitely sp)....

Are other styles better than Wing Chun? My only real connection to that style is that Donnie Yen kicks butt.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't fixate too much on style at this juncture. The best route is to visit each school in your area, meet the teachers, practice with them a bit. Hopefully one school or another will feel more right for you. Often times it's about the people, you will be spending a significant amount of time around them so make sure they are people you might enjoy spending time with.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! You will find a wealth of information here. In fact, you have already gotten very good advice above. You should follow it. Training at home is OK if done in a way that helps you personally, and/or complements your chosen martial art. But first I would choose a martial art. It may be Wing Chun, or something else you didn't realize you would like until you tried a school where it is taught.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Googling "Portland Wing Chun" turns up some results, so that might be a start.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=portland%20wing%20chun&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42261806,d.dmg&fp=f88762cfe5a65cfc&biw=1600&bih=705&pf=p&pdl=300

While I agree that Wing Chun is an excellent art (which I study myself), it isn't the be-all-end-all martial art. There are plenty of other really cool martial arts out there. You should check out several different MAs and see which one you like the best- it might be Wing Chun, or it might be something else.

Personally, I would recommend checking out as many schools near you as you can, Wing Chun and other. Most schools offer cheap (or free) intro classes, so go take some. Spend some time at each place, and decide which school you like the best.

Then once you have decided on a school, the instructor should be able to answer your questions about what he or she recommends for home training etc.

As for the wooden dummy, don't worry about that yet. It's for more advanced Wing Chun practice.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you are ready to start training check out several schools to find an instructor that you like training under. Look at Wing Chun, Silat, BJJ, etc. Look at several before you decide what you like best! Good luck!

OP
D

Drame22

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I actually found that last night, and I'm currently talking to the instructor.

I guess what I really need to know is what martial arts fit my goals. Tye Kwondo(I know I'm butchering it, I'm sorry!), according to my only martial arts friend, is for old people to remain flexible instead of learning to fight. So basically I'm just trying to get an idea of what styles to seek out and what styles to avoid.

Also can anyone speak on behalf of NW Fighting Arts gym? The reviews are split almost down the middle between people absolutely loving it, and people claiming they steal money, don't train you past beginner and assorted other problems they have faced in that gym.

Also, any thoughts on a home workout? I'll definitely practice and learn with others, but in terms of just working out to build muscle mass, I prefer to be alone. Or form work, style, whathaveyou.

Thanks for the tips so far!

Drame22

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I actually found that last night, and I'm currently talking to the instructor.

I guess what I really need to know is what martial arts fit my goals. Tye Kwondo(I know I'm butchering it, I'm sorry!), according to my only martial arts friend, is for old people to remain flexible instead of learning to fight.
You're friend honestly must have a biased view of taekwondo. Some places are like that, but a lot more places either focus on sport or actual self defense. Ive personally met some TKD'ers in the past year or so that I'm honestly just plain scared of.
So basically I'm just trying to get an idea of what styles to seek out and what styles to avoid.
Unless you're looking for striking versus grappling, or have something more specific then self defense, any style should be fine. It depends more on the different teachers, some places focus on sport, some focus on SD, some focus on 'internal' aspects, some are just bad, it depends much more on the teacher and people than the actual art in question. Just a warning though, if you do not have a partner, it is pretty tough to practice any grappling art on your own.

Also can anyone speak on behalf of NW Fighting Arts gym? The reviews are split almost down the middle between people absolutely loving it, and people claiming they steal money, don't train you past beginner and assorted other problems they have faced in that gym.
I don't know anything about them, but after looking at some reviews, they seem to entrap people in contracts. This isn't always bad since it doesn't matter too much if you stick with it, but you don't necessarily know that you will, and I would steer clear of anywhere that has that many bad reviews.

Also, any thoughts on a home workout? I'll definitely practice and learn with others, but in terms of just working out to build muscle mass, I prefer to be alone. Or form work, style, whathaveyou.
Ask your instructor, whichever instructor you choose. Outside of that, work on the starts of the forms you learn, practice punching slowly and carefully, shadowbox, and/or practice shrimping or similar techniques. As far as workouts go, if you want something to do, theres a lot. I do something called M100s, which you can probably look up on youtube, but they aren't for everyone. Outside of that, this site might be able to help...http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

Thanks for the tips so far!

Drame22
You're welcome :)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Various martial arts have emphasis on different aspects of combat. Many have evolved/devolved to the point that they are no longer really what they initially were intended to be. Some arts are quite specialized like boxing. Some arts are more general and have a little bit of everything. You really need to think about what you are really after, what are your goals as a person and as a fighter?

You have to balance the desire to learn a certain art or style against the quality of the local schools for that particular art. For example it would be better to attend a really good school for an art that isn't exactly what you think you want than to attend a crappy school that is teaching exactly what you always thought you wanted.

Kempo is right, don't turn your nose up to TKD. Some of those people are incredible fighters. But also the world has plenty of TKD schools that...well probably should be avoided. It's true of all these arts.

Watch the higher ranking students and the teacher. Do they move the way you want to move? Do they treat each other the way you would want to be treated?

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You could look for a boxing gym too. You'd get in shape pronto, and you will reach a level of effectiveness rather quickly. One of the last things you want is to be punched in the face by a good boxer who's really mad. ;) Likewise, if you become that boxer... well, you get the idea. Boxing plus Judo or wrestling will make you a force to be reckoned with. But remember that self-defence is something else entirely. Situational awareness, how to defuse a situation and the like are best learned in a place that focuses on those aspects. You don't want to box a knife-wielding attacker, etc. But you'll develop reflexes that will help with everything else.

-Mark

Last edited:
OP
D

Drame22

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, I habitually carry my pocket knife, so if they draw a knife at least we're even. But like I said, I've never picked a fight. I always try to calm the situation down.

And the only places I can think of that fights might break out are fairly stereotypical, like a bar or alleyway. And I don't drink, and drive everywhere, so that eliminates those two!

That's actually(I admit a bit embarrassed) the reason I liked Wing Chun so much. I all his movies, Donnie Yen always tried to defuse the situation, and he only ever raised his hand in anger when the other person was dead-set on fighting. And even then, he'd defeat them efficiently and quickly, and be right back to the helpful, quiet guy that he is at heart. Which sums me up pretty nicely, except that currently, I have no fighting skills.

That and him rabbit punching the guy in the throat was bad***!

I know that movies are fake, but I've also seen videos of him training and fighting and he's genuinely good at what he does.

I thought about boxing, the only place that kept popping up was that NW fighting arts. My little brother tried it for a bit, but they teach the same 5 classes over and over, so you don't ever advance past beginner boxing.

Is there no way to just, I dunno, travel to China for a summer and learn from the monks? lol!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I habitually carry my pocket knife, so if they draw a knife at least we're even. But like I said, I've never picked a fight. I always try to calm the situation down.
No, you're not. You're in deep, deep feces. They have the jump on you, and you can't assume they're going to play games. How much do you know about how to use a knife against another person? While in principle, it's simply "put the pointy end in the other guy, and avoid the pointy end of his" -- in practice it's much harder.
And the only places I can think of that fights might break out are fairly stereotypical, like a bar or alleyway. And I don't drink, and drive everywhere, so that eliminates those two!

That's actually(I admit a bit embarrassed) the reason I liked Wing Chun so much. I all his movies, Donnie Yen always tried to defuse the situation, and he only ever raised his hand in anger when the other person was dead-set on fighting. And even then, he'd defeat them efficiently and quickly, and be right back to the helpful, quiet guy that he is at heart. Which sums me up pretty nicely, except that currently, I have no fighting skills.

That and him rabbit punching the guy in the throat was bad***!

I know that movies are fake, but I've also seen videos of him training and fighting and he's genuinely good at what he does.

I thought about boxing, the only place that kept popping up was that NW fighting arts. My little brother tried it for a bit, but they teach the same 5 classes over and over, so you don't ever advance past beginner boxing.

Is there no way to just, I dunno, travel to China for a summer and learn from the monks? lol!

Do us both a favor. Rory Miller isn't some ultimate violence guru -- but he's done a great job of breaking down and explaining what goes on in violent situations. Read some of his books or his blog. Add Marc Macyoung's page... There are others, and you certainly should seek them out.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please please please don't draw a knife if you are jumped. If you do, that will just make it more dangerous, and make them more aggressive. If they have a knife and you pull one, they're more likely to use it, and probably are more proficient than you. If they don't, it will make the fight bloody, and you can never enter a knife fight without expecting to get cut, even if you start off with the knife.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I don't think I've seen so much advice given in a welcome thread before. Mate, you have some great advice in the preceding threads. I can only reinforce their advice. Take you time and look round. Take as many free classes as it takes to find the style that you feel her really good with, because you will probably spend a lot of years with the school and the students you find there. Look at the senior students as well as the instructor. Have a chat with the students if you can. You didn't mention competition so I assume you are more interested in the SD aspect of a martial art. Your friend gave a pretty poor rap to TKD and although I don't go a bomb on the style as a whole either, there are some great TKD schools out there. For what it's worth there are heaps of crap schools in all the other styles out there as well. We tend to refer to a lot of them as 'McDojos'. They are great money spinners and you normally don't see a lot of value for your dollar.

FWIW, WC would be a great place to start your MA journey but there are lots of choices. Choose wisely Grasshopper!

Oh, yeah. The knife. Leave it in your pocket! It's likely to cause you a lot of grief, if you wave it around at people!

Cheers. :asian:

OP
D

Drame22

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, the reason I'm here is so I don't have to pull a knife.

Are Rory's books free? Because I did mention I have next to no money.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Thomas. I signed up for this forum to learn more about martial arts, prior to actually taking classes. I've never been in a real fight(kid fights don't count right?), nor do I have any experience with martial arts except movies such as Ip Man and Fearless. However, I have always wanted to learn and recently, I starting researching it in detail.

My personal favorite martial art is Wing Chun. Donnie Yen is famous for this style, and it was an absolute joy to watch him beat the everloving crap out of villians in Ip man and Ip man 2.

My primary goal is self-defense. I'm not the type to start fights(in fact I try very hard to reason my way out of fighting), but if one starts I would certainly like to be able to finish it. Other than that, I'm looking to lose my beer belly and quicken my reflexes. My funds are extremely limited, however I can definitely save up to buy needed equipment. My dad has cleared out a 5'x7' section of the basement for use as a workout area, and we plan to install a pull-up bar in the rafters. I also have a pretty spacious back yard if that's needed to. I'm looking to do the actual exercising at home, and the learning in class.

So here it is, layed out as best I can:

I need some sort of daily workout routine(or a weekly, work-rest-work-rest....whathaveyou) that I can do at home. I've been told jump roping is great for legs and pull ups good for arms, but that A) came from friends who may or may not know what they're talking about, and B) only covers my limbs instead of my entire body. Any thoughts or workout plans of your own? I'm 6ft, 220 pounds, and I can lift a fair amount of weight. I believe my record is 45lb barbells in each hand. Please, hold your applause at that world record, haha.

I would like to know if there are any Wing Chun classes in the Portland area or surrounding suburbs. Wing Chun would be my first choice, but other than Sambo, I don't have any idea as to what other martial arts might meet my standards.

What equipment is needed to practice in solitude? I saw Donnie Yen talking about a wooden dummy that has three 'arms' and one crooked 'leg' that he said is good for a single person to train with. Is there any validity to that?

All in all, I'm just looking for advice, preferably from Wing Chun instructors, but hey, beggars can't be choosers, right?

Thanks all, have a great one!
Drame22

Well I was about your measurements when I started. Started with boxing and then I did some Mma and found I didn't learn anything. I had boxing experience though. I was an ok boxer...but the more I trained the better grappler I got to be. So obviously I am bias.

The best advice I can give you about martial arts...is be open minded. Find something you like. If you get the but keep doing it. If it doesn't do it for you don't worry about it. I am not a Kung fu guy.

I'm very large and I always have been. I'm not quick either. I have stuck mainly with western arts for that reason boxing and some Israeli self defense stuff. I couldn't get into the Kung fu training like other people. The Bjj and mma/self defense/dirty fighting just fits me. You live in a fairly decent sized area it sounds like. Look around and try multiple schools and classes. You will find something you love. Pretty much any art will require physical conditioning and help you get in shape. Just find one that will push you.

Ps I carry a concealed weapon and I train with that. My self defense martial arts training has been grappling and simple strikes so that I can get to my firearm...at least when dealing with self defense.

I do BJJ because it is a sport and a destressor for me. It works well and mixes with what I do, but it is primarily a sport to me. I do it for fun. So you might consider why you desire to do martial arts as well. Self defense? Sport? Discipline? Shape?

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will echo some of the advice--absolutely visit as many schools as you can. sometimes a great style can have a bad teacher, so don't sign up just because it has the Wing Chun or BJJ name on it etc.

Some people here are defending TKD, but unless you want to do sport, I would avoid it like the plague that it is.
There are probably more TKD mcdojo's than anything else, and it's not that good of a style to begin with! That is probably the one single type of school that I would not even waste my time going into. Are there TKD people who can fight--sure. But there are also ballerinas that can fight, and the comparison is more of an insult to ballerinas.

Wing Chun is a great style, also look for a baguazhang or xingyi instructor (hard to find though). When you narrow it down to a list of 10 or so, post up their websites or vids if available and I'm sure you will get some help from the great folks here at MT.

You have gotten some great advice re the knife. For god sake learn how to use it, deploy it, and retain it. You might be better off carrying a non-lethal option in addition to the knife, stun-gun/pepper spray.

G