A special circumstance

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree... That's exactly what I believe, too... Martial arts will help my life, my physical health, get better and better! :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nobody breaks your nose on purpose. Otherwise just pick something and do it.

You dont have to be fit talented or flexable to start. Just start.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you don't want flashy stuff but are considering shaolin Kung fu? Okay but. Just so you know shaolin Kung fu is known for it's flashy stuff and acrobatics ....also why don't you just quit smoking and then train and everything will improve. If you want hands and low kicks Muay Thai sounds the best for you
Well no, shaolin Kung fu is not particularly know for flashy stuff, nor acrobatics. Modern Wushu is, but traditional Shaolin, which is an umbrella term encompassing many systems, is not.

Hung ga in particular is not know for being flashy. It is solid and practical, no nonsense.

Regardless of the system, if the teacher is good the training should be demanding and strenuous.

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well no, shaolin Kung fu is not particularly know for flashy stuff, nor acrobatics. Modern Wushu is, but traditional Shaolin, which is an umbrella term encompassing many systems, is not.

Hung ga in particular is not know for being flashy. It is solid and practical, no nonsense.

Regardless of the system, if the teacher is good the training should be demanding and strenuous.

Thank you for your answer! I'm glad I was right about Hung Ga...
One reason that I'd prefer that style over FMA, is because of the forms; I can practice them at home, too, for perfection, etc. FMA, except unarmed styles (silat, for example) don't include any forms - as I know - and there's a (well known) problem to all, with the practice and training at home.
The sifu is Chinese, who lives and teaches in my country, for many years,,,

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer! I'm glad I was right about Hung Ga...
One reason that I'd prefer that style over FMA, is because of the forms; I can practice them at home, too, for perfection, etc. FMA, except unarmed styles (silat, for example) don't include any forms - as I know - and there's a (well known) problem to all, with the practice and training at home.
The sifu is Chinese, who lives and teaches in my country, for many years,,,
If you have a legitimate teacher of Hung Ga, go for it. I am jealous of that opportunity, and it is definitely an art worth pursuing.

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you have a legitimate teacher of Hung Ga, go for it. I am jealous of that opportunity, and it is definitely an art worth pursuing.

Thanks again! Your reply could be critical... :)
So... the results, till now:
Hung Ga: 2 - FMA:0
Maybe I should wait for the European people to wake up; I'd like to hear their opinion, too :D

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
FMA for sure, very practical system with very good partner drills that are fun to do but also great for improve your fighting capability.

I'm not a big fan of solo forms which Hung Ga seems to have alot of.

And yes people said it already, QUIT SMOKING!!!

Oops... The first support / vote for FMA - at last!
So... The score is Hung Ga: 2 - FMA: 1
That's why I want to follow the way of Martial Arts... To tell you the truth, I like and enjoy smoking, I would never be able to quit it, by myself, without a "cause". Starting a martial art, loving it, trying on it, it will make me quit smoking, because I would like and desire to handle this art.... to do my best for it!

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oops... The first support / vote for FMA - at last!
So... The score is Hung Ga: 2 - FMA: 1
That's why I want to follow the way of Martial Arts... To tell you the truth, I like and enjoy smoking, I would never be able to quit it, by myself, without a "cause". Starting a martial art, loving it, trying on it, it will make me quit smoking, because I would like and desire to handle this art.... to do my best for it!
Why don't you just go to the classes available and see what you like best everyone has their own opinions. You may hate the one that gets more votes but like the other one more or you may hate them both or do something different. There's no right or wrong answer here about what's the best

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you just go to the classes available and see what you like best everyone has their own opinions. You may hate the one that gets more votes but like the other one more or you may hate them both or do something different. There's no right or wrong answer here about what's the best

Of course I'll do that... I'm gonna visit both of them.
The first, is 4 bus stops away from me...
The second one, is 7 subway stops away from me...
But, believe me... If the second one suits better on me, I won't back at the distance!
Thanks God, I'm unemployed, no wife / kids / dogs, so the whole day is, actually, my free time!
That means, I can dedicate myself, totally, mind, spirit, heart and body to the martial art I'll choose!
Thanks again!

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jumping rope??? Jumping rope on Muay Thai, too? I knew it was a boxing exercise, only...
No... That's EXACTLY what I want to "avoid", as I told you on my first post, guys:
Hard warm up, difficult training...
Trying to do such stuff (jumping rope, legs stretching for split, etc.), it'll be a wasted time for me - I think. I'll never manage to do such things, and, I'll never gain from their efficiency!
I'm completely unexperienced, in ANY form of exercise... I was avoiding gym class, even at high-school! Do you wanna let you know my daily exercise? Here it is: 10 minutes walk, just to buy tobacco and newspaper... and THATS ALL!
The rest 23h. and 50 min. you can find me on a sofa, playing videogames, on a couch, watching TV / movies, on a chair, drinking coffee and eating, and on a bed, sleeping.
That's my life, guys... The life I want to make (much) better, through some martial art!

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jumping rope??? Jumping rope on Muay Thai, too? I knew it was a boxing exercise, only...
No... That's EXACTLY what I want to "avoid", as I told you on my first post, guys:
Hard warm up, difficult training...
Trying to do such stuff (jumping rope, legs stretching for split, etc.), it'll be a wasted time for me - I think. I'll never manage to do such things, and, I'll never gain from their efficiency!
I'm completely unexperienced, in ANY form of exercise... I was avoiding gym class, even at high-school! Do you wanna let you know my daily exercise? Here it is: 10 minutes walk, just to buy tobacco and newspaper... and THATS ALL!
The rest 23h. and 50 min. you can find me on a sofa, playing videogames, on a couch, watching TV / movies, on a chair, drinking coffee and eating, and on a bed, sleeping.
That's my life, guys... The life I want to make (much) better, through some martial art!
Mate...if you want to get fit you've got to put the work in. Your fitness won't improve by doing the least amount of exercise, get in there do the hard warm ups do the skipping yeah you'll be exhausted quick but you'll be getting fitter each time. No it's not easy but if you want it that's what you have to do you actually have to put the work in, doing forms at a low speed isn't go to do much for your fitness. The hard warm ups are exactly what you need.

You think anyone starts martial arts in great shape? I mean yeah of course there'll be some who are in good shape straight away because of other things they did but the majority aren't in amazing shape. You call this a speacial circumstance? There's nothing speacial about your situation at all. You think you're the only out of shape guy to want to start martial arts? Of course you're not you're no where near the first and you'll be no where near the last.

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course I'll do that... I'm gonna visit both of them.
The first, is 4 bus stops away from me...
The second one, is 7 subway stops away from me...
But, believe me... If the second one suits better on me, I won't back at the distance!
Thanks God, I'm unemployed, no wife / kids / dogs, so the whole day is, actually, my free time!
That means, I can dedicate myself, totally, mind, spirit, heart and body to the martial art I'll choose!
Thanks again!
If you're unemployed how do you plan to pay for this training, martial arts training generally isnt cheap especially at the begging when you have to get the equipment

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mate...if you want to get fit you've got to put the work in. Your fitness won't improve by doing the least amount of exercise, get in there do the hard warm ups do the skipping yeah you'll be exhausted quick but you'll be getting fitter each time. No it's not easy but if you want it that's what you have to do you actually have to put the work in, doing forms at a low speed isn't go to do much for your fitness. The hard warm ups are exactly what you need.

You think anyone starts martial arts in great shape? I mean yeah of course there'll be some who are in good shape straight away because of other things they did but the majority aren't in amazing shape. You call this a speacial circumstance? There's nothing speacial about your situation at all. You think you're the only out of shape guy to want to start martial arts? Of course you're not you're no where near the first and you'll be no where near the last.

I won't feel nice, if the Teacher/Sifu/Sensei give the order "split", and you see all the class open their legs from 150 to 180 degree and you see me, trying to reach just 45 degrees... I won't feel comfortable, if the Teacher/Sifu/Sensei give the order "push-ups" and you see the whole class make them all (20? 30?) and you see me, barely doing just one or two...
On such situations, as I noticed on my first post, I'll feel like I fool me, my Teacher, the students and the art itself... That's why I'm looking for the least laborious and least tedious martial art. In that way, I'll be able to go with the wave, to follow the others, without having to try so hard!

If you're unemployed how do you plan to pay for this training, martial arts training generally isnt cheap especially at the begging when you have to get the equipment

I take some rents... Not a big deal... Just a monthly (greek) salary,,, So, I can afford a martial arts school, I guess...

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I won't feel nice, if the Teacher/Sifu/Sensei give the order "split", and you see all the class open their legs from 150 to 180 degree and you see me, trying to reach just 45 degrees... I won't feel comfortable, if the Teacher/Sifu/Sensei give the order "push-ups" and you see the whole class make them all (20? 30?) and you see me, barely doing just one or two...
On such situations, as I noticed on my first post, I'll feel like I fool me, my Teacher, the students and the art itself... That's why I'm looking for the least laborious and least tedious martial art. In that way, I'll be able to go with the wave, to follow the others, without having to try so hard!

I take some rents... Not a big deal... Just a monthly (greek) salary,,, So, I can afford a martial arts school, I guess...
You seem to have some serious misconceptions about martial arts. No one is going to expect you to do the splits on your first ever lesson. Most people physically can't do the splits no matter how much they train. It's something you can or can't do. As for press ups you do what you can do and gradually improve. Every instructor understands that. You want to something that doesn't work you hard.. Okay sure go for it but don't expect your fitness to get better from it. You want good fitness and to get healthy you need to do the work it's as simple as that

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree with MA_student. You don't get anything for free in this world you need to work for it. Making excuses and taking short cuts is the reason you're not in good shape right now. You want to get fit then stop the excuses get to a class do what you can do and slowly get better. No ones going to wave a magic wand and suddenly you'll be mr universe it takes years and years of hard work

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i think you are going to struggle, if you want an art that doesn't require you to try hard, The fitness and flexability will come by trying hard, you will possibly never reach the standard of a,fit non smoking 25 yo. But 30 press up and a half decent splits is very,achievable as are,a lot more reasonably impressive for your age fitness goals.

you do well to keep away from arts that require the,strength and flexability of,a,gymnast just to be,average, but they all have a fitness and health benefit

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Really?

Only answer to this is none of your business, who cares how he pays for it? The guy is 46 years old, he's not 16

Yep really
It's a question which he had no problem answering so why are you getting all upset. I'm leering him know martial arts isn't cheap so he doesn't get into it then have to stop because he can't afford it as that'd be a waste of his time.