A little bit of me just died

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if that was a crteria than I would not have gotten mine until I was thirty two. That is when I started shaving no facial hair.

Wow, that's got to be a record.

Please don't take this the wrong way, Terry, but you might look into having your thyroid gland being tested if you ever notice problems physically, like perhaps yo-yoing weight loss and gain. It's a far more common problem that most people realize.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I must be getting old. There is plenty to pick on but thats with anything. I liked seeing two kids, one a girl, training. I liked some of the kicks and the the little stomps for faking. Not where I may want someone to be but a good start.
I can walk out of my house and see children with no coordination or physical skills outside of Gameboy thumbs.
Over ranked under whatever it does not seem to be the real issue. When these kids are 15-21 they will be so far down the road than most and hopefully making better life choices for it.
To me thats what really matters.

Dave O.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, that's got to be a record.

Please don't take this the wrong way, Terry, but you might look into having your thyroid gland being tested if you ever notice problems physically, like perhaps yo-yoing weight loss and gain. It's a far more common problem that most people realize.

Yea I have had that problem for about twenty years now, maybe I should look into it.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A Black Belt is in the Eye of the beholder!!! In this case if these kids sparred with a quality black belt they would come to realize that they should probably look for another school. We have kids show up at our class like this all the time they last about 20 minutes. But on occasion they stay and become very good. We have one who has been with us about a year and he has become outstanding. This video does not spell the end of TKD just the end of that owners chance of having a good reputation for quality black belts.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I must be getting old. There is plenty to pick on but thats with anything. I liked seeing two kids, one a girl, training. I liked some of the kicks and the the little stomps for faking. Not where I may want someone to be but a good start.
I can walk out of my house and see children with no coordination or physical skills outside of Gameboy thumbs.
Over ranked under whatever it does not seem to be the real issue. When these kids are 15-21 they will be so far down the road than most and hopefully making better life choices for it.

Dave O.

Well, yes, it's better than Gameboy or similar, but this was grading, going for rank up....

Those are folks from my organization, not my school, but my general club.

There is no question that you can have fun, even not being very good at it. And sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

But I have sat in many grading sessions of said organization where I have seen better than that performance flunk. Especially at that level.

I am not mad or angry about that (would be if I got outvoted on the pass/no pass portion of the evening) I am just watching that (and obviously the little girl got a rank up - yeah for the green mushroom... - or the proud parents would have not plastered her face over youtube) and wonder. And I mean, not even disbelieve, more like an aborigine seeing an airplane for the first time. I mean, little girls are somewhat hard to train. But sheesh....

HOWEVER there is light on the end of the tunnel, for all of you who fear for the art: Chances are that the little girl has long since hung up the gear and dobok and went on to My Little Pony or figuring out on how Barbie can score Ken.

I mean, chances are that the proud parents burn the kids out long before they understand what they are doing.

(No I am going to figure out the deal about shaving...it's either sexist or double entendre....)

:D

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
8 yr. old Shodans testing for Nidan

I threw up in my mouth a little

Michael

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
2nd Black? My 5yo yellow belts look better and they break boards better as well.

How are we supposed to maintain the integrity of the MAs with stuff like this. I am thoroughly disgusted.

Now if I do the math right, this girl had to be 2 or 3 when she started AND she has to be a prodigy to get that rank that fast. And I am just not seeing it.

Thanks, now I have a headache.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have an aspiring...

Actually, counting back (I didn't read the stuff too closely, as to level....) she had 16 month in rank, and about 2 years (just a shade under) to get to 1st dan. That's what, 3 years of training.

(apparently there was no little dragon program in place....)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Dave O.

Maybe. They may also have a belt full of rank stripes and develop a personality that is quite self-indulgent because their training has been all gimme-gimme-gimme and no one has told them no.

I like seeing kids having fun with their training. Unfortunately they weren't being tested for a 2nd Dan in KidsHavingFun.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe. They may also have a belt full of rank stripes and develop a personality that is quite self-indulgent because their training has been all gimme-gimme-gimme and no one has told them no.

I like seeing kids having fun with their training. Unfortunately they weren't being tested for a 2nd Dan in KidsHavingFun.

You know, that's an great point.

Everybody gets wrapped up in how it makes the arts look bad but I think that's the first time anyone has pointed out the negative impact it can have on the kids.

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
we have a few kids that sneak through because they smoke it up at the test but are horrible in class, personally i let it go, cause in the end, and with no disrespect, who cares how many gold bars you have on your belt? sure its prestigious but if you cant back it up thats your own problem

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
untill someone puts it on the internet, then the instructor's reputation is shredded. his style's reputation is shredded. and it makes it harder on the rest of us who are REAL teachers when the next parents come in and say "well, i say this on you tube, so i know an 8 year old can get a BB....."

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
untill someone puts it on the internet, then the instructor's reputation is shredded. his style's reputation is shredded. and it makes it harder on the rest of us who are REAL teachers when the next parents come in and say "well, i say this on you tube, so i know an 8 year old can get a BB....."

...and your response would be?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

So you are saying it is ok to judge a school by the youtube video, keeping in mind that you went through this yourself when you had your kids posted on youtube and someone blasted them and your school.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
8 year old BB's?

thats legit critisism. particuarly when they suck

my kids were not BB's, and even more, they didnt suck. If i they had in fact sucked i would be the first one to say so.

That jerk was just messing with me, and using the kids to do it.

Latest Discussions