A demonstration gone wrong ... but a good end none the less.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine that does a different martial art came to visit and watch my class. At the end of the class I showed some of the normal demonstrations that I do like proper body structure vs strength, etc. so I normally ask the biggest guy in the room to use all his strength for the demo, but today there was a student of mine. He was larger and stronger than me so I asked him to apply strength in one way while i used my body structure to effortlessly resist him. however, it didn't work as normal, and he was able to overpower me. I couldn't believe it at first, why did I have to use my own strength for this demonstration that I have done time and again, even against people much larger than him? Then I paid attention to my student's technique. He was using proper body structure which we were practicing just in today's class as well as his greater strength. Needless to say I was glad that he learned so well and was doing this naturally, not having to prepare and think about it. So instead of the normal demo, I used the chance to show the difference when he uses correct body structure vs strength only. Today I was very happy to see that my students are really learning to apply principles learned in class instinctively and naturally. :)

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
that's a good news.
on the other hand, it shows that strength is not useless.under the right body structure, it can burst more power than less strong person.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine that does a different martial art came to visit and watch my class. At the end of the class I showed some of the normal demonstrations that I do like proper body structure vs strength, etc. so I normally ask the biggest guy in the room to use all his strength for the demo, but today there was a student of mine. He was larger and stronger than me so I asked him to apply strength in one way while i used my body structure to effortlessly resist him. however, it didn't work as normal, and he was able to overpower me. I couldn't believe it at first, why did I have to use my own strength for this demonstration that I have done time and again, even against people much larger than him? Then I paid attention to my student's technique. He was using proper body structure which we were practicing just in today's class as well as his greater strength. Needless to say I was glad that he learned so well and was doing this naturally, not having to prepare and think about it. So instead of the normal demo, I used the chance to show the difference when he uses correct body structure vs strength only. Today I was very happy to see that my students are really learning to apply principles learned in class instinctively and naturally. :)

Don't worry about it , you will learn from the experience and grow as a martial artist.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
'As long as one teaches, one learns.' But it's a rare teacher who can be transparent while learning in front of the class. :asian:

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
wushuguy,

I had a similar experience. I used to demonstrate the opening of Taiji by asking a student (usually, like you, the biggest in the class) to help me. I used to ask them to hold my wrists and I simply lifted up my wrists which they could prevent quite easily. I then showed them pushing my fingers forward rather than lifting them up, and of course it was unstoppable. But like you, one day it did not happen and I could not work out why. Then I noticed that rather than standing in the usual horse stance, he was standing in Bow Stance!!!! The unstopable attempting to move the imovable!!!!!

A lesson well learned and of course it was a perfect scenario to show students never to expect a particular reaction from a particular situation!!!!!

Very best wishes

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Some of my best learning experiences were while I was teaching. Some of the best gratification as an instructor is when your teaching is grasped by our students.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that's a great experience to see your "to di" skill's progress before you & it also shows your talent as an Instructor/Shifu. It's truly a rare Shifu to be able to transmit his/her skills - proper mechanics to there to di, so congrats on your never ending experience as a Teacher. Hope to hear more stories in the future.

Latest Discussions