Which kick generates the most power?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that in pad tests the spinning back kick was the strongest. I'll never throw one.

Hook kicks work best for me. But I don't throw them for power except against a bag.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jagermeister......that quote of Randy Moss has me laughing

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a measure of the power of a round kick with the instep, for example hitting three boards worth of power, might compare to hitting someone big in the chest with no pad. While I love hitting hard with a round kick on the bag or on a chest guard, it definitely is not the same as three boards. Not too many do that for the pain factor. And it does take a snap to generate the power unless you do those wheel kicks which telegraph. I've only done two boards with a round kick as the bones in a female foot are smaller. A guy I knew did three at a tournament and broke his foot, but that kick he loved and he had broken it before doing round, same break. We also have another bb who's mass is big and can do round kick to concrete, no problem.

The back kick, or as we call it, the spin sidekick, definitely has the spin to add more power, a jump back is even more powerful, but a flying sidekick tops that. Anything with a jump adds more power, run and a jump more power. A flying side kick with two boards held with two fingers requiring a speed break-very fast snap-is more powerful. How about a jumpback kick through two then an immediate jump spin heel at head level on the other leg to a board held with just two fingers? That requires a great deal of power to generate that second jump and snap for the second speed break. So, was tested on all of these, but for which kick has more power, it depends on the kicker, mass, technique, and whether a jump is involved. TW

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fo r standing kicks I would say for me it's either a spinning back kick or a step-behind sidekick, but would agree with with TW that anything you do and modify with 'jump' or 'flying' is going to be even more powerful

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a fight stituation Back leg Round house for a power kick only the step behind sidekick for me.
Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back kick gets my vote for most power. Step-behind side kick a not so distant second.

For fighting, back leg roundhouse kick.

Miles

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My most devastating kick is my switch kick, basically like a jump roundhouse, but insead of jumping and kicking, you switch and kick at the same time. The gain in rotational power is astounding and very few people have stayed standing after a full power one from me, chest protector or not.

In fact, I had the pleasure of working with Coach Han Won Lee, the the 2000 US Olympic Tae Kwon Do coach, and he made my partner hold a kick shield when we worked this into combos, even though they already had a hogu (chest protector) on.

For sheer power, it would probably be a spinning back kick.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
...Seems there are as many opinions as there are kicks!

Agree with terryl965 - the step-behind sidekick takes some beating for the sheer impulse power of the foot. Roundhouse kicks are great when you can snap them out quickly - and there's plenty are caught out by them - but for me they're just too showy...

Back kicks generate good rotational power by virtue of the counterbalancing effect of the upper body but I'd still stick with step-behind sidekick putting your whole body behind it with a bit of venom - it really feels like you can move a mountain! :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
Burning foot side kick. Definatly

What is a Burning foot side kick? How is it different from a "regular" side kick? Anyone have a pic to show me?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
a Downward, hard-driving STOMP!!
I think that's the kick that generates the most power, because it has the greatest abount of back-up Mass behind it and it drives in with the hardest part of the foot.

I know you may think my post is trying to be funny, but it's not.

The stomp gets my vote.

Your Brother
John

Not at all - you made a good point. W.E. Fairbairn of WW2 Combatives fame certainly thought highly enough of it.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brother John
a Downward, hard-driving STOMP!!
I think that's the kick that generates the most power, because it has the greatest abount of back-up Mass behind it and it drives in with the hardest part of the foot.

Jonathan Randall said:
Not at all - you made a good point. W.E. Fairbairn of WW2 Combatives fame certainly thought highly enough of it.

Yes! When it comes to one of the most simple and effective finishing moves on a downed opponent, the stomp to the nugget is a well known and universally accepted "kick".

Franco

KenpoBruce2006

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Spinning Rear Kick and the Spinning Hook (combine the most power with linear and rotational). Non-Spinning, the rear (they break ribs easily) and the side (also break ribs) then the round. My choices.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Being a Goju Ryu practitioner, our kicks are "low-line", meaning typically we do not kick above the waist.

So.....

I'm gonna say Mae Geri (thrusting front kick done with ball of foot) placed into the meat of the thigh.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sliding* back kick. hands down.

*Driving your entire body and your support foot forward through the kick.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thrust Side kick and spinning back kick. But my spinning back kick is exceptionally more powerful. But it is very accurate and fast to.

Latest Discussions