What a Jow Ga Sparring Class Looks like. How many punches did I throw

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've shared a couple of videos of me sparring so I thought I would share a really short clip of me teaching my school's sparring class.
Some background info about the video:
Student wasn't using Jow Ga techniques during sparring so I did a demo version to show her what I wanted to see. I explained to her that it didn't have to look like what I did, but it had to use at least one of the three main punches in Jow Ga. Video below(Not me in the youtube video)

About the demo video below:
The video is a demo to give the student an idea of what I wanted to see. I'm throwing slow punches so the student can see. For safety, I told my partner to defend himself just in case I hit him by accident as these punches are very heavy and difficult to control. I also try not to connect just in case i get to close. There are elements of the techniques that are left out to reduce power. The demo doesn't use prearranged movements. He didn't know what I was going to do, and I didn't know what I was going throw other than punches.
Video of me demonstrating Jow Ga Application to Student
I have both the normal speed and the slow motion so you can see what's going on.

Can you tell how many punches I threw?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your vids won't play on my machine. A screen comes up, and looks like it's playing, but it's blackout.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to say because you're partially obscured by your partner, but it looks like you're throwing a right haymaker* then right backfist then left haymaker then left rising backfist then right uppercut. So 5 punches total.

*(I don't know what your term is for that forehand swing with a straight arm.)

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's hard to say because you're partially obscured by your partner, but it looks like you're throwing a right haymaker* then right backfist then left haymaker then left rising backfist then right uppercut. So 5 punches total.

*(I don't know what your term is for that forehand swing with a straight arm.)
Your are the million dollar winner. I should have completed that last uppercut since I would have had to throw it in a way that I difficult to use. Thanks to the demo I have a better understanding of that technique.
The forearm swing is a luk choy, The rising backfist is called pow choy. Even though 2 strikes are made with this punch it is considered as one punch. In my system it would be 3 punches thrown instead of 5, because of the multi function of the punches. But you are correct I threw 5. I actually hit him on the tip of the nose during the demo and I was glad he took me serious when I told him to really defend himself.

Most people think it's just wild swinging. I thought it would be good to slow it down so that the technique could be seen. Its rare that people get to see kung fu techniques outside of prearrange movements. In the video I just attacked him and he defended and as a result, we were able to capture some techniques.

I have some more videos from one of our beginners today. He did really good because he trusted the technique 100%. I think I actually have on video the before and after effect of how much technique makes a difference.

Latest Discussions