What do you look for in a Wing Chun school?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, I thought it would be interesting to see what the WC community here looks for in a school or instructor. I imagine that the answers will be largely the same but people do have different personal tastes and values.

Personally, I look for the following:

-Good usage of bone/body structure (using structure rather than muscle)
-Application oriented, teaches students to come in on their opponent (if sparring involves patting stuff away for ten minutes you need to seriously re-evaluate your training)
-Proper relaxation (Softness and blending, not tensing the muscles or using strength. On the other end of the spectrum, soft means soft, not literally limp)
-Drills prepare the student for real situations rather than just Wing Chun against Wing Chun
-Instructor can answer questions with confidence and has actual experience in fighting/self defense situations.

What about you guys?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
*Proper use of structure
*Relaxation
*Aggression...really focuses on forward intention. In other words when you feel that opening, charge in there! (something I need help with myself)
*Really focused on refining techniques, not just memorizing them. I want to really know what I am doing, instead of just LOOKING like I know what I'm doing.
*Some self-defense scenarios thrown in

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, I thought it would be interesting to see what the WC community here looks for in a school or instructor. I imagine that the answers will be largely the same but people do have different personal tastes and values.

Personally, I look for the following:

-Good usage of bone/body structure (using structure rather than muscle)
-Application oriented, teaches students to come in on their opponent (if sparring involves patting stuff away for ten minutes you need to seriously re-evaluate your training)
-Proper relaxation (Softness and blending, not tensing the muscles or using strength. On the other end of the spectrum, soft means soft, not literally limp)
-Drills prepare the student for real situations rather than just Wing Chun against Wing Chun
-Instructor can answer questions with confidence and has actual experience in fighting/self defense situations.

What about you guys?

Do they have any proper fighters? If not, keep going.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do they have any proper fighters? If not, keep going.

That's a real problem with a lot of schools.

Honestly, It's a problem with my group too. And it can become a destructive cycle. If you don't already have "proper fighters" it's hard to attract new students who want to train that way. My group is mostly mature adults aged 35 -55 and they don't want to go at it all that hard. I'm no better. I'm 58, and lately have been getting injured a lot. Bad stuff, like my back and knees, so I'm stuck being a "coach" most of the time. What a drag.

However, in two weeks, we are moving from our present location in a dance studio to space in a boxing gym with access to mats and a ring. I'm planning on really building up a sparring class, and getting some of the boxing guys to help us out. Also, I plan to invite some people from our Escrima group in. They're definitely fighers. We'll see how it goes.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
However, in two weeks, we are moving from our present location in a dance studio to space in a boxing gym with access to mats and a ring. I'm planning on really building up a sparring class, and getting some of the boxing guys to help us out. Also, I plan to invite some people from our Escrima group in. They're definitely fighers. We'll see how it goes.

That sounds like a great opportunity. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a real problem with a lot of schools.

Honestly, It's a problem with my group too. And it can become a destructive cycle. If you don't already have "proper fighters" it's hard to attract new students who want to train that way. My group is mostly mature adults aged 35 -55 and they don't want to go at it all that hard. I'm no better. I'm 58, and lately have been getting injured a lot. Bad stuff, like my back and knees, so I'm stuck being a "coach" most of the time. What a drag.

Cheers! Hope it works out well for your group

Tong Chuang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ideally, I would hope for a school where:

• Information and techniques was consistent month to month. (been to one group where we were told to place feet in certain positions doing a pak dar, then told later to use a different way.
  • It's not just about the money!
  • Psychopaths and bully-boys are weeded out - inevitably these types will be attracted to MA - it's up to the Sifus to stop them - unfortunately some Sifus today are more interested in money than accruing good Karma
  • Information is not handed out on a drop by drop basis (mentioning no names)
  • Sifus and Seniors do not use there Students as demonstration punchbags to make themselves look good. Some of them don't (or maybe they do) realise their own strength! A fellow WC student wore a permanent Wrist bandage after his Kendo instructor wrecked his joint.
  • Sifu says do it this way - and actually does it that way when using it later!
  • The dangers of Wing Chun are pointed out and the impact of suffering caused by applying techniques in an unjust and unmerciful way. I heard of one student whose knee was permanently dislocated by his Sifu (*** *****) and it practically ruined his career, and life. What bad Karma to accumulate.
  • The type of Wing Chun for me ideally would combine apparently soft, graceful disarming techniques
  • together with whipping, shocking motions and
  • internal chi-cultivating as a side effect of form practice
  • Deceptively efficient footwork and flowing cotton-body motions
  • Flow like Water!
  • Ability to deal with multiple opponents
  • Anti-grappling concepts mandatory
  • I don't need a Phd in Astrophysics to understand the concepts taught!
  • Internal politics are not making a bad atmosphere. A high defection rate of Senior Students seems to be the pattern among some branches of WC or should I say WT?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
At Sifu's school, a lot of people get weeded out simply because of the way Sifu teaches. Not many bullies have the maturity/patience/what have you to spend months doing just sil lum tao. In fact, this method of teaching weeds out a lot more than just bullies: it gets rid of ANYONE who can't handle what they perceive as the "boredom" of focusing on one thing at a time. In their minds they should learn all the forms in one month. Doesn't work like that.

There hasn't been a high defection rate at my school. As far as I know, there were only two students who left and then started teaching their friends behind Sifu's back.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ideally, I would hope for a school where:

• Information and techniques was consistent month to month. (been to one group where we were told to place feet in certain positions doing a pak dar, then told later to use a different way.
  • It's not just about the money!
  • Psychopaths and bully-boys are weeded out - inevitably these types will be attracted to MA - it's up to the Sifus to stop them - unfortunately some Sifus today are more interested in money than accruing good Karma
  • Information is not handed out on a drop by drop basis (mentioning no names)
  • Sifus and Seniors do not use there Students as demonstration punchbags to make themselves look good. Some of them don't (or maybe they do) realise their own strength! A fellow WC student wore a permanent Wrist bandage after his Kendo instructor wrecked his joint.
  • Sifu says do it this way - and actually does it that way when using it later!
  • The dangers of Wing Chun are pointed out and the impact of suffering caused by applying techniques in an unjust and unmerciful way. I heard of one student whose knee was permanently dislocated by his Sifu (*** *****) and it practically ruined his career, and life. What bad Karma to accumulate.
  • The type of Wing Chun for me ideally would combine apparently soft, graceful disarming techniques
  • together with whipping, shocking motions and
  • internal chi-cultivating as a side effect of form practice
  • Deceptively efficient footwork and flowing cotton-body motions
  • Flow like Water!
  • Ability to deal with multiple opponents
  • Anti-grappling concepts mandatory
  • I don't need a Phd in Astrophysics to understand the concepts taught!
  • Internal politics are not making a bad atmosphere. A high defection rate of Senior Students seems to be the pattern among some branches of WC or should I say WT?

Looks like you and I see eye-to-eye on literally everything. I like you. :ubercool:

Latest Discussions