Reaction score
So far in this forum, we have self-title such as:
- master.
- Sensei.
- Sifu.
Do we have
- coach?
- instructor?
Yep. I self-promoted myself to coach in our Escrima/stickfighting group. If anybody doesn't like it, they are welcome to the job!

...You know, organizing practices and events, calling everybody to make sure the show up, and of course keeping up on the drills and curriculum to lead the training sessions... So far my incompetence hasn't been sufficient incentive to entice anybody else to take on the job. ;)

OK, I admit I do have a certificate put away somewhere... signed by my instructor back in the 80s. But I don't recall ever showing it to anybody.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I admit I do have a certificate put away somewhere... signed by my instructor back in the 80s. But I don't recall ever showing it to anybody.
That's a good point. I've got a certification somewhere stating I can teach a style of kenpo and a style of kempo. No idea where they are, so instead of being called sensei, I'd prefer to be called my name, or coach if needed.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a good point. I've got a certification somewhere stating I can teach a style of kenpo and a style of kempo. No idea where they are, so instead of being called sensei, I'd prefer to be called my name, or coach if needed.

Can you call yourself a doctor if you have a PhD?​

But no matter where your PhD takes you in life, you can always rely on one thing: you can call yourself “Dr” whenever you want to. ...

Do we call ourselves like "I'm Mr. lee..."?​

In the US, we introduce ourselves by our full name, and no title—as you say, "I'm John Lee", not "I'm Mr. Lee."

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score

But no matter where your PhD takes you in life, you can always rely on one thing: you can call yourself “Dr” whenever you want to. ...

Do we call ourselves like "I'm Mr. lee..."?​

In the US, we introduce ourselves by our full name, and no title—as you say, "I'm John Lee", not "I'm Mr. Lee."
Depends on who you are introducing yourself to.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can in America. Actually, you can anywhere, even if you don't have a PhD. I don't think awarding yourself a title like that is illegal. In bad taste, and ethically questionable, yes. But not illegal.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why do you call yourself Sifu?
Because it means "Teacher". I've taught for a long time and many students, a fair percentage of them to black belt.
I like when I teach women because very few of them want to learn martial arts. I have one female student though, that has been with me for ten years.
Have a good one.
Sifu

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. I self-promoted myself to coach in our Escrima/stickfighting group. If anybody doesn't like it, they are welcome to the job!

...You know, organizing practices and events, calling everybody to make sure the show up, and of course keeping up on the drills and curriculum to lead the training sessions... So far my incompetence hasn't been sufficient incentive to entice anybody else to take on the job. ;)

I've been addressed by various titles over the years, all dictated by my instructors. The good thing about that is running in to old students from say thirty years ago. If someone says, "Hey Sensei!" at least I know from what era they are and might be able to remember their name. You remember your longtime students' names, but someone who might have only trained a couple years, that can be difficult.

But the last twenty years they call me "coach". I like the title coach.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been addressed by various titles over the years, all dictated by my instructors. The good thing about that is running in to old students from say thirty years ago. If someone says, "Hey Sensei!" at least I know from what era they are and might be able to remember their name. You remember your longtime students' names, but someone who might have only trained a couple years, that can be difficult.

Only time my students ever use titles is when our KJN is in the room. He's Korean, and much more concerned with what students call me than I am.

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So far in this forum, we have self-title such as:

- master.
- Sensei.
- Sifu.

Do we have

- coach?
- instructor?
My self selected moniker is "the Kung Fit Coach" but my focus is more than just martial arts. That's just the branding though, people call me Damien.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people using titles like Master, Sensei, Sifu, Shifu etc. Sure some of them literally speaking only make sense coming from another, but terms like Shifu are also used as titles traditionally, as was the term Master in English speaking countries.

On the other hand when you get to Supreme Grand Professor Master Sifu, I think you have a problem. Anything beyond just showing that you are a teacher is a little much. Sure you have 18 teachers below you, you're still just a teacher, but with more advanced students.

I've never felt entirely comfortable with adopting the title Shifu. I could, I've been teaching for a long time and have been the sole/primary teacher for many people. Maybe if I ever open up a pure kung fu school. It would kind of be expected. I'd still go by Damien though.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess I should mention, that I earned my first black belt from Al Tracy, that is, I was mostly taught by him.
Later I took American Kenpo and I was tested, I believe, it was for brown, by Ed Parker.
Sifu

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I should mention, that I earned my first black belt from Al Tracy, that is, I was mostly taught by him.
Later I took American Kenpo and I was tested, I believe, it was for brown, by Ed Parker.
Sifu
Originally you said Blue from Tracy and Brown from Parker. And then self-promoted to 10th. I guess you should mention that too.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally you said Blue from Tracy and Brown from Parker. And then self-promoted to 10th. I guess you should mention that too.
Yeah, self-promotion bothers me ...some.

There was a time when such things bothered me more. Now I realize that many, if not most, of the "greats" founded their own system and either self-promoted or were promoted "out of respect" by friends to higher levels. How legit they were is often debated and really comes down to each individual and their accomplishments.

I guess I'm getting on to the "shrug" stage of life.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a old black belt, difficult to remember everything.
I'm sure you always remember everything, right?
I could get my certificate, but it doesn't mean anything to me. The knowledge is my black belt, but I think you don't understand.
The truth also is that everything was in my briefcase long ago and without stating details, I lost my briefcase. True story.
Keep bugging me, that's shows me your age. Too bad.
All the students I've taught have been very satisfied and very well trained.
You keep training, OK?
Sifu

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I am actually a coach, and I am actually a teacher.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because it means "Teacher". I've taught for a long time and many students, a fair percentage of them to black belt.
I like when I teach women because very few of them want to learn martial arts. I have one female student though, that has been with me for ten years.
Have a good one.
Sifu
You teach Kenpo right? Why the southern Chinese honorific title awarded to yourself by yourself? I also teach and have multiple students that have been with me for many years. I am aware of its meaning. Who awarded you that title? I am not aware you teach Chinese Martial arts.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm...A somewhat puzzling thread. I've been retired for many years but was always mostly casual during regular classes. For formal occasions - with very high ranking teachers around - formality had to be observed. Outside the dojo it was usual that I was called by my name. In the dojo I've been called "sir, sensei, hanshi, coach and sometimes by my name". Most of my old students still call me sir, sensei and so forth outside the dojo. While I discourage the 4-letter words, I'm really not at all concerned. In the dojo students are normally addressed as "sir". During my more than 60 plus years in the martial arts I have received, and hopefully earned, several "titles", but I am very rarely addressed with any of them and I prefer this.