8th Degree BB Ninjutsu?

OP
phatbway

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, before being let go, I had the chance to spar with this kid of ours and let me tell you, this kid is no BB in anything.
I am TKD Purple belt, him - 8th degree BB Ninjutsu. Or so he says.

1) he only knows one kick;right spinning cresent-that's it. i am not making this up, folks. I am 47 yrs. of age and don't have the time.

2) he's burned out under 2 minutes of each of the 3 rounds and blames it on 'having the cold'

3)he takes more water breaks than my 10 year old son who is also TKD purple belt.

4) he criticized our demo team 3 weeks ago saying that our demo was lame and he did not want to participate because of the same reson. (We were going up against 3 other TKD schools in my area, We took home the BIG trophy by the way and now are the defending champs)

Soooooooooo........this kid is as fake as they come! :barf:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't stand it when people send their problem children to a MA school to get them in line. Sometimes it works out, but most of the time it is a hassle for everyone. Sometimes I wonder if people sign their kids up just so an instructor can kick the crap out of them.

These people don't stick around for long, but they disrupt the atmosphere while they are there.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about the one claiming to be a hachidan. There are more important things to do in a dojo / dojang.

Since he's no longer with your school, it's simply not worth the precious calories and brainpower spent over someone who would be a non-factor in your own training.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're not equipped to handle a person with a problem like this, then you should be honest about it right up front. A teen telling you he's an 8th degree bb, and you are upset? He's a teen and he lied. You're not the instructor - get a grip.

Sounds like the instructor accepted him either thinking he could help the kid and then didn't talk to his students about it (his perogative) or not knowing the extent of the problem.

Next time some student comes in like that, how about trying to help him out or play "the game" with him until he finds humility - OR - :D - talk to your instructor about how YOU can best help this kid.

"If you're complaining, you're not training."

HeisaaReborn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I thought all 16 year olds had black belts. :drinky:
Then they mature a year or two later

You mean you don't get a brand new black belt with the car keys :rofl:

Maybe he meant 8th kyu and it got really really lost in translation.

OP
phatbway

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you're not equipped to handle a person with a problem like this, then you should be honest about it right up front.

A teen telling you he's an 8th degree bb, and you are upset?

"If you're complaining, you're not training."

Are you kidding me? I have teenagers of my own to deal with!

Upset, who's upset? just discussing an issue I think is valid and remember i said in my initial post that i don't know ANYTJING about Ninjutsu.

Trust me, I am not complaining. I am 47 years of age (I have the feeling I've said that before) and I really don't have the time. I train harder and am more dedicated than the teenagers in my class. So complaining is not one of my things.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the difference between what you said and 8th degree.................

Then maybe you got it wrong and you did the lad a dis-service by posting up here. He maybe needed help rather than ridicule even or rather especially if he said 8th Dan.
8th kyu to me means he would have been training only about 6 months or so.
When kids especially teenagers say something is lame it tends to mean they are scared to try it as they don't want to make a fool of themselves, they are very self concious. They may come across as beligerent but many are actually lacking in self confidence.
If he did say he was an 8th Dan it could also be because he was feeling intimidated, I'm not saying anyone has to believe him but to start off with it would have been good to ignore what he said and train him as a beginner.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then maybe you got it wrong and you did the lad a dis-service by posting up here. He maybe needed help rather than ridicule even or rather especially if he said 8th Dan.
8th kyu to me means he would have been training only about 6 months or so.
When kids especially teenagers say something is lame it tends to mean they are scared to try it as they don't want to make a fool of themselves, they are very self concious. They may come across as beligerent but many are actually lacking in self confidence.
If he did say he was an 8th Dan it could also be because he was feeling intimidated, I'm not saying anyone has to believe him but to start off with it would have been good to ignore what he said and train him as a beginner.

Indeed. Let's say there are 9 ranks to get to black belt; progressions would look something like this:

White belt = 9th kyu
next rank up = 8th kyu
next rank up = 7th kyu
next rank up = 6th kyu
next rank up = 5th kyu
next rank up = 4th kyu
next rank up = 3rd kyu
next rank up = 2nd kyu
next rank up = 1st kyu

Then Black Belt which would be:

1st Dan
2nd Dan
3rd Dan
4th Dan

... etcetera.

The lad probably has some kind of problem and it could be a self-confidence thing or he could have a very real emotional or mental or developmental problem.

And I stand by what I said - if you're not equipped to deal with another person in your class with this kind of problem, you really should be honest and talk to your instructor.

I, too, have my very own teenagers to deal with (one of them, in fact, feels like three), but that does not keep me from understanding the people around me and attempting, at least, to contribute positively towards the classroom community environment.

Good luck to you.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Shesulsa, it's just not an issue. I could see it being a problem for the instructor I suppose, but if a student has an issue they bring it to him/her or the Sempei etc.

As for a point on the age thing as it has zero bearing. Being 47 doesn't mean alot. I have had students in their 50's with a chip on the shoulder and something to prove as much if not more than my teens.
I also have teens, 4 girls. I understand stress of dealing with them myself. But this is pretty normal teen stuff to make a claim like that, then get humbled at some point then the claims just tend to go away.

You sound pretty aggressive with the posts yourself, is this not something that goes away with age? The obsessive worry about what a teen does.

I'm hoping the same happens for me as I let alot get my goat as well. But I'm 38 :uhyeah: so I have a few years of vitrol left in me LOL.

I'd shake the kid off. I personally find them entertaining, until they are adults then you make a spectacle out of them if need be.

OP
phatbway

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do sincerely apologize if I seem to come across rigid, was not my intention. I'd never do that, even if you have no idea who I may be. So, accept my apologies.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread I believe I made citation to a young Shidoshi in the Bujinkan. He was a 9th kyu when I left that dojo some 11-12 yrs ago.
I have moved back to my hometown, had the chance tonite to visit my old Sensei at his request for a class. I had a chance to watch the person I made reference to.
I will make good in saying that he moves as well as his teacher does, flawless looking, very smooth and without ego. Very charming lad. As expected my old teacher also moved in a way that never ceased to amaze me.
So when I am wrong I say it. I was right about the age thing and the rank, but I imagine I had conotations of poor skill, of which if I did I apologize. I was sadly mistaken.

bljohnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My sensei would not give anyone a shodan rank that was less than 16 yrs old. I did have a guy claiming a yondan in koga ryu but had absolutely no skill. He also claimed to be a tae kwon do blackbelt but I had to teach him how to kick. A blackbelt in tae kwon do but he can't do a round kick? He would come to class and write down techniques then vanish in true ninja fashion for a few months. On his return he would ask to test since he had been working on these things at home. It's easy to be a master when you train alone.

Maximus

White Belt
Reaction score
He could have learned it from a family member.
my "sensei" has been doing it since the 80's, and he teaches his 13 year old son.

BTW, i am new to this forum thing.....how do i post? i cant seem to find any button or anything that allows me to past a question.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the appropriate forum, perhaps Meet & Greet to tell us a little about yourself ;), and click the button that reads "New Thread".

Latest Discussions