KT:Elvis Presley 8th Dan under Parker?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
We should be more concerned with our training and our progression than what the heads of our systems are doing.

By that thinking, we should shut down martialtalk and all other discussion boards if we are not allowed to discuss things.
Just because someone is a "grandmaster" does not mean they are so holy that we are not allowed to discuss the things they are doing or have done.

AoG

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
(By that thinking, we should shut down martialtalk and all other discussion boards if we are not allowed to discuss things.
Just because someone is a "grandmaster" does not mean they are so holy that we are not allowed to discuss the things they are doing or have done.)

True there are Grandmaster alive that I do not agree with...
Kosho

AmericanTangSooDo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Elvis Presley 8th Dan under Parker?
By nelson - Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:37:33 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

I've heard the story of Ed Parker's connection with Elvis for years.
I've also heard that Parker promoted Elvis to a high rank. In a book that I'm reading called "Bruce Lee, Fighting Spirit" the author Bruce Thomas claimed that EP promoted Elvis to 8th Dan! He also claimed that EP got 50 grand and a new cadilac for the promotion! In fairness to EP Elvis was also reported to have "purchased" a 7th Dan in TKD for about the same amount.

How much of this story is true? Did anyone ever question the old man as to why he would do such a thing? How badly did this incident damage EP's credibility and standing in the arts? Was Elvis a "honorary" BB or the real thing?

Back to the book, the book seems to portray Bruce Lee's life quite accurately for what I've been able to determine so far. Has anyone else read this account of BL's life? Are their any other biographies out there worth reading?

One interesting note, supposedly Elvis's wife Priscilla was trained by Bob Wall and Chuck Norris. She was promoted to Green belt and was reportably able to kick Elvis's fat behind up one side of the block and down the other. Has amyone else heard or read about this?

Nelson

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

True Priscilla did train at one of Chuck Norris' schools because Ed Parker's school was too far for her to drive to several days a week. However Mike Stone was technically her main instructor which as we all know led to their affair.

I'm not sure about him being an "8th dan" in American Kenpo but I had always heard of him being a 7th dan. Exactly how well deserved or legitimate that ranking was well only Mr. Parker can say for sure and of course he's no longer with us. But on the video that I linked below at around the 1:42 mark it shows an IKKA certificate to Elvis promoting him to 7th dan. Whether that image on this video is real or not I don't knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the record; Ed Parker promoted Elvis to 8th DEGREE, not "dan." Anyone that knows the intricacies of the development of the various arts and organizations will recognize the distinction is a significant one. After the IKKA was born, Parker no longer issued "dan" ranks, which fell under the auspices of his former yudanshakai.

Parker never gave anyone an "honorary" rank to my knowledge, although he would sometimes "recognize" a rank of some from other styles with a diploma. Some would have expiration dates. Elvis went through the rank progression just like everyone else, and none of the ranks were anymore "honorary" than anyone else's ranks. Elvis came to Ed Parker already a black belt, and according to Parker, "A dam good one." While it is true that Elvis didn't study what some would call "the system," (which didn't wholly exist at the time), he had significant skills that he used in reality on more than one occasion.

Some mistakenly understand that Parker worked for Elvis. This is not true, Parker went with Elvis as a traveling companion, offered his services to train, and protect him when necessary.

While it is true Parker received many gifts from Elvis, this was not unusual. Elvis was very generous and often gave extremely expensive gifts to employees, friends, family, and even strangers.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The subject of Elvis came up at one of Huk Planas's seminars and Huk spoke very highly of Elvis and his martial arts skills.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The subject of Elvis came up at one of Huk Planas's seminars and Huk spoke very highly of Elvis and his martial arts skills.

He was the real deal, and I venture to say at the time he received his 8th, he was considerably better than a bunch of guys wearing that rank right now.

KenG

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well i think when someone with doc's standards says someone's the real deal there the real deal...

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
He was the real deal, and I venture to say at the time he received his 8th, he was considerably better than a bunch of guys wearing that rank right now.

Prolly not that hard to do, unfortunately. I see guys wearing the double bars who look like they haven't yet figgered heiny from hole in ground.

Latest Discussions