Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Elvis Presley 8th Dan under Parker?
By nelson - Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:37:33 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

I've heard the story of Ed Parker's connection with Elvis for years.
I've also heard that Parker promoted Elvis to a high rank. In a book that I'm reading called "Bruce Lee, Fighting Spirit" the author Bruce Thomas claimed that EP promoted Elvis to 8th Dan! He also claimed that EP got 50 grand and a new cadilac for the promotion! In fairness to EP Elvis was also reported to have "purchased" a 7th Dan in TKD for about the same amount.

How much of this story is true? Did anyone ever question the old man as to why he would do such a thing? How badly did this incident damage EP's credibility and standing in the arts? Was Elvis a "honorary" BB or the real thing?

Back to the book, the book seems to portray Bruce Lee's life quite accurately for what I've been able to determine so far. Has anyone else read this account of BL's life? Are their any other biographies out there worth reading?

One interesting note, supposedly Elvis's wife Priscilla was trained by Bob Wall and Chuck Norris. She was promoted to Green belt and was reportably able to kick Elvis's fat behind up one side of the block and down the other. Has amyone else heard or read about this?

Nelson

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elvis Presley 8th Dan under Parker?
By nelson - Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:37:33 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk
====================

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

I've heard the story of Ed Parker's connection with Elvis for years.
I've also heard that Parker promoted Elvis to a high rank. In a book that I'm reading called "Bruce Lee, Fighting Spirit" the author Bruce Thomas claimed that EP promoted Elvis to 8th Dan! He also claimed that EP got 50 grand and a new cadilac for the promotion! In fairness to EP Elvis was also reported to have "purchased" a 7th Dan in TKD for about the same amount.

How much of this story is true? Did anyone ever question the old man as to why he would do such a thing? How badly did this incident damage EP's credibility and standing in the arts? Was Elvis a "honorary" BB or the real thing?

Back to the book, the book seems to portray Bruce Lee's life quite accurately for what I've been able to determine so far. Has anyone else read this account of BL's life? Are their any other biographies out there worth reading?

One interesting note, supposedly Elvis's wife Priscilla was trained by Bob Wall and Chuck Norris. She was promoted to Green belt and was reportably able to kick Elvis's fat behind up one side of the block and down the other. Has amyone else heard or read about this?

Nelson

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed
Since when is promotion to eighth degree not a business decision? The last part sounds like a load of crap.
Sean

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm of the understanding that Elvis EARNED his shodan. I've never heard of him being an 8th dan "master" or purchasing rank. Bob Barker too. I'm guessing he earned his, not bought it. I don't know though, I wasn't there.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
from things i have read and what not, Elvis was a 1st degree under Ed parker. and a good 1 at that. later he was given a Honoray 8th degree.
Not the Full rights as a 8th degree. as far a $$$ given elvis gave cars and cash out to close personal buddys all the time.
my 2 cents
kosho

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
from things i have read and what not, Elvis was a 1st degree under Ed parker. and a good 1 at that. later he was given a Honoray 8th degree.
Not the Full rights as a 8th degree. as far a $$$ given elvis gave cars and cash out to close personal buddys all the time.
my 2 cents
kosho
Also, he put the crest on his guitar, and did kenpo on stage. If thats not giving back to the Art, what is?
Sean

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my 2 cents
kosho

have you ever seen an Ed Parker certificate that said "Honorary"? Conversely, what are the requriements for a non-honorary 8th?

Over on KT I linked a number of photos that showed Elvis with an increasing number of stripes, he didn't jump from 1 to 8.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
have you ever seen an Ed Parker certificate that said "Honorary"? Conversely, what are the requriements for a non-honorary 8th?

Myself i like Elvis and his music, if he was a 1st or 8th I do not really care. I was just adding to the topic.
Kosho

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Myself i like Elvis and his music, if he was a 1st or 8th I do not really care. I was just adding to the topic.
Kosho
You are going to get different answers per organization on this one. LOL
Sean

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes Elvis was promoted to 8th Dan by Parker .... So What ..... Was he worthy of that rank ... I don't know ... I wasn't there. But here is something to ponder.

If the GrandMaster of a system, in this case Parker, decides that someone should be promoted to a certain level who are we to challenge it. There is a BIG difference between a high ranking black belt promoting someone to a rank and the GRANDMASTER of the system doing it. After all he will have the final authority of the promotions.

Whether Elvis was as good as those holding the same rank today or not isn't something we should concern ourselves with since the HEAD of the system was the one who made the promotion. I'm sure that if Mr. Parker were still alive the arguments over Elvis holding that rank would not be happening.

We should be more concerned with our training and our progression than what the heads of our systems are doing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Elvis was promoted to 8th Dan by Parker .... So What ..... Was he worthy of that rank ... I don't know ... I wasn't there. But here is something to ponder.

If the GrandMaster of a system, in this case Parker, decides that someone should be promoted to a certain level who are we to challenge it. There is a BIG difference between a high ranking black belt promoting someone to a rank and the GRANDMASTER of the system doing it. After all he will have the final authority of the promotions.

Whether Elvis was as good as those holding the same rank today or not isn't something we should concern ourselves with since the HEAD of the system was the one who made the promotion. I'm sure that if Mr. Parker were still alive the arguments over Elvis holding that rank would not be happening.

We should be more concerned with our training and our progression than what the heads of our systems are doing.
I think you underestimate are ability to argue.:)
Sean

Latest Discussions